Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 22, 2013, 02:50 AM
France, Midi-Pyrénées, Gasques
Joined Oct 2013
18 Posts
Discussion
Newbie intro and questions

Hello everyone, my first post, so first a little introduction
My name is Phil, and I return to RC flying after a 35 year break! My son is now old enough to enjoy it and someone gave him a whole load of "old" kit: 2 radio's 3 X 0.4 glow engines and a pre-built trainer.
We have been flying the trainer with one of the (futaba) radio's and love it.
The other radio (Irvine Sanwa Conquest FM6 has no receiver)
So what receiver should I look out for ?
Also we have bought a new plane that has a separate servo for each aileron so how do I connect them to one output of the receiver?
Simple questions I know, but things have changed since I have been away!
Roastbeef is offline Find More Posts by Roastbeef
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2013, 09:06 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,248 Posts
the simplest way, is with a Y harness, but it is possible too plug them into channel 1 and 6, and mix the two channels!
I do not know if your radio has that option, so I would just order up a Y harness!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: heli's
Old Oct 22, 2013, 12:10 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roastbeef View Post
Hello everyone, my first post, so first a little introduction
My name is Phil, and I return to RC flying after a 35 year break! My son is now old enough to enjoy it and someone gave him a whole load of "old" kit: 2 radio's 3 X 0.4 glow engines and a pre-built trainer.
We have been flying the trainer with one of the (futaba) radio's and love it.
The other radio (Irvine Sanwa Conquest FM6 has no receiver)
So what receiver should I look out for ?
Also we have bought a new plane that has a separate servo for each aileron so how do I connect them to one output of the receiver?
Simple questions I know, but things have changed since I have been away!
RB - Welcome to RCG and the wonderful addiction.....ur....um.....I mean hobby!

Can you elaborate more on the equipment you have - what are the trainers, engines, radios, etc. Pictures would be nice too.

A good receiver for the Sanwa radio would be a Berg 7-channel (available from Tower Hobbies or through Castle Creations who is the distributor). I fly several Berg receivers (7-ch and MicroStamp 4) on my Futaba and JR 72MHz radios and they are the best FM receivers I've flown. Area's where the stock receivers got interference I haven't seen any issues with the Berg's.

For connecting the dual aileron servos, there are two options. One is to use a "Y" harness that plugs into the receiver and both ailerons. The other is if you have a radio capable of supporting dual ailerons (computer radio, but also older FM radios like the Futaba Skysport 6A can do this too) is to plug the ailerons into seperate ports on the reciver and use the radio to control the dual ailerons.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is online now Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Oct 23, 2013, 05:53 AM
Joined Oct 2013
18 Posts
Thanks guys, I am now considering buying a new TX RX package for the new plane, I think the new controllers are much better these days!. Any recommendations ?
Phil
Old Oct 23, 2013, 10:14 AM
Atl, Ga.
Joined Dec 2012
190 Posts
Hi..
You will find a lot of different of opinions on this subject. You have your loyalist that say theirs is better than this or that. You can't go wrong with some of the bigger brands. Spektrum,Futaba, etc. You have to ask yourself how serious your gonna delve into the hobby and decide what you want to spend. If you think you might want to stay awhile, than Tx's are kinda like computers. You always want one alittle bigger or faster, So my advise would be to get the most Tx you can afford.
capt kurt is offline Find More Posts by capt kurt
Old Oct 23, 2013, 10:41 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,248 Posts
I shelved my ol FUTABA 9C, for my FLYSKY http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-th9x-r...nel-radio.html

I fly everything from my 250 heli, too my 50cc EXTRA 260! with this radio, since it is all new again too you, you should be able too get by the lil programing quirks that it has!
which I don't see it as a problem, just different then most anything I used!

if I had the extra cash burning a hole in my pockets, yes I would be buying a new 7 channel FUTABA!

so there's the high and the low of it!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: heli's
Old Oct 23, 2013, 01:25 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2007
1,290 Posts
There are still many 72MHZ systems on the market but to get with the "modern day" systems, I would definitely go with the 2.4 GHz equipment. There are several advantages not found on the older 72MHz systems with the new 2.4 stuff. Telemetry on some models come to mind as well as some systems have "model memory" which will not let you fly with the wrong airplane set up. Also there is no need for checking to see if there is another flying on "your frequency" as you do with the 72 MHz equipment. There may be many other advantages but those come to mind. There are many "Brands" of equipment on the market and most of the major brands are good. Out of "brand loyalty" perhaps, I use Futaba equipment and have had good service from them. The Futaba line does not have some of the bells and whistles offered by some of the other major brands but to me they feel like the half ton farm truck, built to fly the plane without power steering, air conditioning, self parking and the bling that some of the other brands offer. Your choice.
Arceenut is offline Find More Posts by Arceenut
Old Nov 02, 2013, 10:48 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,732 Posts
I have used both Hitec, and Spektrum as well as Futaba and other US distributed brands. I am currently using a Hitec Aurora 9 and Optima receivers but would recommend you buy Spektrum mostly because they are so popular and that your flying buddies will probably have Spektrum and can help you with settings and programming. If you are lukewarm for the hobby, you will probably be happy with the inexpensive Spektrum DX6i. If you look forward to more complex propellor, sailplane or heli models, I would buy the Spektrum DX-8.
Spektrum has liberal support policies and quick turnaround service when needed. Spektrum also has a wide range of receivers for tiny parkflyers to large size glow and gas powered models.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Nov 04, 2013, 12:25 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
...Spektrum has liberal support policies and quick turnaround service when needed. Spektrum also has a wide range of receivers for tiny parkflyers to large size glow and gas powered models.
I'll second Horizon's great customer oriented service on Spektrum and JR radios. I had a 3 year old DX5 and AR500 receiver on a club trainer Alpha 40 that had two reboots on the same flight. The first reboot was high enough to recover the plane, the second was when flairing for landing - I think the reboot was caused by the battery shorting as it crashed the plane with a different radio three flight later when the battery shorted and shut the receiver down. I sent it back to Horizon to have it checked not knowing at the time it was the battery causing the issue. They said the transmitter was fine and even put new dry cell batteries in it as I sent it in with some old batteries. They said the AR500 had some frame drops and replaced it with a new AR600 receiver. No charge and they even paid shipping back. They also unlocked my JR 783 to full 8-channel and CCPM mixing for no charge when changing the memory battery. I've sent 4 or 5 radios back to them for service to be check and have had nothing but great service from them.

Hogflyer
Old Nov 04, 2013, 08:56 PM
Hutch
United States, Mt, Bozeman
Joined Jan 2012
309 Posts
I'd go with the taranis if I didn't have a modded 9x.... cheap rx's, solid platform.
Easier to program than any other radio I've messed with.

http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-ta...x8r-combo.html
hutchinstuff is offline Find More Posts by hutchinstuff
Old Nov 05, 2013, 12:02 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchinstuff View Post
I'd go with the taranis if I didn't have a modded 9x.... cheap rx's, solid platform.
Easier to program than any other radio I've messed with.

http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-ta...x8r-combo.html
Where do you send it to when it needs to be serviced? Alofthobbies, US baed repair facility, or does it have to go back to China?

Hogflyer
Old Nov 06, 2013, 12:15 AM
Hutch
Joined Jan 2012
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogflyer View Post
Where do you send it to when it needs to be serviced? Alofthobbies, US baed repair facility, or does it have to go back to China?

Hogflyer
There will be a ton of user support for this radio. Chances are if you need "service", that someone else will have the issue u do as well, and someone else will tell you how to fix it. Granted, the "factory" support probably isn't there, but it doesn't need to be. But that's just me, I'm a big fan of the open source movement and like to do things on my own. And I like a radio that is easy to program
Old Nov 06, 2013, 09:56 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchinstuff View Post
There will be a ton of user support for this radio. Chances are if you need "service", that someone else will have the issue u do as well, and someone else will tell you how to fix it. Granted, the "factory" support probably isn't there, but it doesn't need to be. But that's just me, I'm a big fan of the open source movement and like to do things on my own. And I like a radio that is easy to program
You are obviously a "try to fixit yourself" digital electronics fan and that's OK. Don't think we should advise beginners or even veteran modelers to go the same route unless have the same backgrounds or interests. I call myself E-Challenged even though I built my own first RC systems from parts kits in the late 50's. I am a big fan of RC system users manuals and instruction sheets that are written and illustrated to be all user-friendly and good tech support by phone, e-mail, and quick turn-around servicing.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Nov 06, 2013, 12:14 PM
Hutch
Joined Jan 2012
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
You are obviously a "try to fixit yourself" digital electronics fan and that's OK. Don't think we should advise beginners or even veteran modelers to go the same route unless have the same backgrounds or interests. I call myself E-Challenged even though I built my own first RC systems from parts kits in the late 50's. I am a big fan of RC system users manuals and instruction sheets that are written and illustrated to be all user-friendly and good tech support by phone, e-mail, and quick turn-around servicing.
I'm a "see if I can fix it, and if I can't, find someone that can" guy.
I've programmed some complex mixes on my open source radio without any need to reference the very detailed online manual, and have programmed them on the 8fg by referencing the manual, and the 8fg takes about 3-4 times longer. Support online for the open source is immense. I don't really see where the issue lies.... Google is your friend... I'd recommend this radio "style" to any beginner. ER9x/open9x is a easy, user friendly UI that anyone can sort through.... but enough about this, this is my last plug for the 9x/ taranis...
Last edited by hutchinstuff; Nov 06, 2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 04:18 PM
Joined Oct 2013
18 Posts
Thanks guys

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences, I have bought a spektrim dx6i and already like it a lot. Seems to give me a better "hands on" control of the plane.
Cheers
Phil