Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:17 AM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
Can you put it on manual focus and set the focus to infinity?
First... the camera has separate stills and video buttons. You can take 17mp stills while videoing without impacting the video!

Leave the camera in photo mode. Set "manual focus" with the focus ring. There is no distance indicator but all the way in one direction appears to be infinite - but it is night time so I am using streetlights as an indicator. I'll try in daylight tomorrow . Press record on the video button. Focus stays at infinite / where you left it.

Pete
Efliernz is offline Find More Posts by Efliernz
Last edited by Efliernz; Sep 06, 2012 at 05:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:47 PM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
961 Posts
I can confirm (thanks to daylight) that the RX100 can be manually focused by rotating the focus ring on the front all the way anti-clockwise (viewed from behind) and it stays there. There is no graphical indicator of distance. Just the automatic zoom-in-to-see-detail on the screen while focusing.

Pete
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Sep 2011
133 Posts
Pete and Stacky
I just started flying with my RX100 on a modified DJI F450 and WKM.
I just got a polarizer filter for the RX100 works great, so I can now film at ISO 125, 125th second at F5.6

My question is are you leaving the Super steady shot on, active or off on the camera.

Just curious on what you found to work the best

Steven
kuau is offline Find More Posts by kuau
Last edited by kuau; Sep 15, 2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:20 AM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
961 Posts
We have found that video with SuperSteady on stabilizes the video but you get an almost jello effect from the stabilization process.

Active is less aggressive in stabilization but I haven't done enough testing yet. Our weather has been rotten!

I am working on a new mount where I hope to have Steady off.

Pete
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:25 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efliernz View Post
We have found that video with SuperSteady on stabilizes the video but you get an almost jello effect from the stabilization process.

Active is less aggressive in stabilization but I haven't done enough testing yet. Our weather has been rotten!

I am working on a new mount where I hope to have Steady off.

Pete
Thank you Pete. I will hold off buying the RX100 until you guys have done more testing on it.
SeismicCWave is online now Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:25 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
Seismic Im still battling gimbal jitter issues and its a very windy spring here in NZ this year so unfortunately I havent been able to get any decent footage with the RX100 without the incamera stabilization on.
What I do know is that it produces still images that are very very close to as good as my 600D. The video is nice and someone did mention the speed of AF. In my bits of footage the camera was being made to change focus from very close to infinity very quickly. Also in some bits its struggling with the focus because I was doing very fast pans which any camera would struggle with, the sort of panning thats of no use commercially, I was simply messing with the gimbal etc.
Im very happy with the camera but am loath to recommend simply because my use and expectations are different to other users. As soon as we get some calm weather I will knock out some simple footage for you and post a pic or two.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:35 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Seismic Im still battling gimbal jitter issues and its a very windy spring here in NZ this year so unfortunately I havent been able to get any decent footage with the RX100 without the incamera stabilization on.
What I do know is that it produces still images that are very very close to as good as my 600D. The video is nice and someone did mention the speed of AF. In my bits of footage the camera was being made to change focus from very close to infinity very quickly. Also in some bits its struggling with the focus because I was doing very fast pans which any camera would struggle with, the sort of panning thats of no use commercially, I was simply messing with the gimbal etc.
Im very happy with the camera but am loath to recommend simply because my use and expectations are different to other users. As soon as we get some calm weather I will knock out some simple footage for you and post a pic or two.
Thanks. I am mainly interested what the in-camera stabilization will do with video shoot. I have other cameras for still images. The RX100 doesn't support remote triggering so I need to make up a servo trigger setup. It will increase the size a little bit.

I am not too worry about auto focus. I can always put it on manual focus and set the focus to infinity.

Wind is fine. I am not looking for smooth footage. I actually want to see the motion. Maybe a short clip of video with the stabilization on and another with stabilization off. That would be sufficient for me to pull the trigger.
SeismicCWave is online now Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:45 AM
Philippines, Central Luzon, Marilao
Joined Jun 2008
529 Posts
Hi guys, does the rx100 have live view out from the mini hdmi?
rukie is offline Find More Posts by rukie
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:20 PM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rukie View Post
Hi guys, does the rx100 have live view out from the mini hdmi?
It says so but I haven't tried it. I'll email email myself at home (I'm at work) and remind me to test it...

Pete
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:29 PM
FrankC
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
499 Posts
Shooting stills while shooting video sounds interesting, if you get a chance to test this could you let us know how well it actually works?

I was looking at a review (at dpreview.com) and it indicates you can choose your still format as 1:1, 3:2, 4:3, or 16:9. I recall a Fuji camera that could shoot and save in multiple formats at the same time. Can the RX100 do this? As an example, I would like to shoot 16:9 so the images would look good on an HD display, but also shoot at 4:3 for print purposes. I may be the only person on the planet who wants to do that, it just seems like the results would be better than cropping one format in the other direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efliernz View Post
First... the camera has separate stills and video buttons. You can take 17mp stills while videoing without impacting the video!

Leave the camera in photo mode. Set "manual focus" with the focus ring. There is no distance indicator but all the way in one direction appears to be infinite - but it is night time so I am using streetlights as an indicator. I'll try in daylight tomorrow . Press record on the video button. Focus stays at infinite / where you left it.

Pete
FrankC is offline Find More Posts by FrankC
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:52 PM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
Shooting stills while shooting video sounds interesting, if you get a chance to test this could you let us know how well it actually works?

I was looking at a review (at dpreview.com) and it indicates you can choose your still format as 1:1, 3:2, 4:3, or 16:9. I recall a Fuji camera that could shoot and save in multiple formats at the same time. Can the RX100 do this? As an example, I would like to shoot 16:9 so the images would look good on an HD display, but also shoot at 4:3 for print purposes. I may be the only person on the planet who wants to do that, it just seems like the results would be better than cropping one format in the other direction.
Only one format at a time. I shoot 4:3 stills while videoing. There is no interuption to the video when you shoot stills (different button too). I have shot a heap of stills while shooting a video. There is a restriction on the size / resolution of the still while videoing. 17Mpix maximum.

Pete
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:56 PM
FrankC
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
499 Posts
Thanks Pete.
FrankC is offline Find More Posts by FrankC
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:10 PM
Joined Jun 2008
529 Posts
Efliernz thanks for the reply. Im looking at this camera for a back up you think its video and pictures are at par with the nex5n?

Also does it have the boss stabilization same as the cx760? Im looking at some videos they're pretty close.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:12 PM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
961 Posts
I haven't used the nex5. I know when Stacky printed a 20mp RX100 frame at A2-CMYK off a .tiff (shot in RAW) it looked awesome.

I don't know anything about the cx760 so that will be a research job I'm afraid...

I have a busy shooting afternoon tomorrow with hiring a C172 for a 4-site medley of jobs. While I will be using my Canon 50D for it, I will also have my RX100 and I'll try to use both to compare shots. Some times a viewfinder is worth gold... hanging out a plane at 1500' is one of them!

Pete
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:58 PM
Joined Jun 2008
529 Posts
pete, just learned that the mini hdmi is situated under the camera. near the tripod mount. that will be an issue if not a stopper for FPV directly from the camera.