HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2014, 02:53 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,657 Posts
deadzone: I'm satisfied with the MM performance on 3s and especially like it's light, nimble, and super responsive feel. I just have no desire to add weight for maybe a few more mph and loose the MM characteristic feel. I've done that with other planes with mixed results.

I've got several faster planes when the urge strikes, but I'll keep the MM on 3s with around 320 watts and continue to enjoy it's beautifully balanced performance.
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Last edited by dbc; Jul 16, 2014 at 03:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2014, 03:48 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,657 Posts
Bad news - and good news about my just received new MM.

Bad news: this one has the light damage to the rear of the fuse around the tail feathers. Many of these planes suffered this, and it may have been a factor in their discontinuance. Tower responded to my email in less than an hour and offered to send out a replacement fuse. This was done without the runaround you frequently get from lesser suppliers: send pictures or return the damaged part, etc. I'm convinced that Tower's customer support is second to none.

And the good news: For some reason, this stock motor in this one is the smoothest and quietest I've experienced. About as nice as the replacement motors I've used in the other two planes.
Last edited by dbc; Jul 16, 2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 04:49 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,657 Posts
I was concerned that the replacement fuselage might have the same damage - so I asked about that. Here's Tower's reply:

"If you can allow me 24 hours to get this resolved and shipped, I can pull the merchandise from our warehouse and check it for damage prior to shipping. I will let you know once I have inspected one and am ready to ship it out.

We appreciate your time and your business with us.

Marissa
-Tower Hobbies Customer Service"
Old Jul 16, 2014, 07:36 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,933 Posts
Dave (dbc),

Sorry to learn of the FUSE damage.

The Stock motor? Are you saying the Stock motor doesn't rattle (bearings)?
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2014, 09:01 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Dave (dbc),

Sorry to learn of the FUSE damage.

The Stock motor? Are you saying the Stock motor doesn't rattle (bearings)?
Yes. A quiet stock motor! Hard to believe.

Examining a noisy one and this quiet one, it appears that the bearings themselves may not be the only culprit. The shaft is loose in the noisy one but fits fairly tight in the quiet one. It looks like the tolerances on the shaft and/or bearings are not close enough to insure a good fit. Not really too suprising, I suppose.
Last edited by dbc; Jul 16, 2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 08:59 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,657 Posts
I got in several early morning flights on my MM#1 with the Super Tiger motor.

Jay had mentioned earlier he thought it seemed a little faster than the stock motor. And my Pocket Radar confirms that. I got several level passes at 74-76 mph. If I recall correctly, the stock motor was in the high 60's.

Still lovin' this plane!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 09:03 AM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,658 Posts
Wow! 75 is pretty quick!
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old Jul 19, 2014, 09:25 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,657 Posts
Plenty fast for these old eyes. I have no desire to mount a big motor and try to rip the wings off.