Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:50 PM
Happy Newbie
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2011
86 Posts
Question
Carrying / Travel cases?

It's a simple question, what should a newbie like me look for in a carrying case for my new wraith (although other than size I can't see it being model specific per-se)? Anything or any brand I should avoid? Any known scams/problems? Space for radio or separate? I'm sure there are many other questions I don't even know to ask...

Thanks!
Scurvy is offline Find More Posts by Scurvy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:02 PM
Agressive driver
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2011
1,202 Posts
Get space for radio. other than that, nothing. also, don't get a used case. I had a bit of a problem at an airport security with my rc case. I got it used and didn't know what it was used for. when they did the little swab test it made it beep. then needed multiple scans and pat down.
zanek is offline Find More Posts by zanek
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:54 AM
Happy Newbie
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2011
86 Posts
AH, thanks for the tip re: used cases, hadn't thought of that potential issue! I already get most of those things happening to me at airports anyway (one of the draw-backs of 'dread'locks and a lingering skunk-like smell), but maybe I don't want my hobby to be more of a heat score.

Any brands to recommend, or is it generally 'you get what you pay for'?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:55 AM
Agressive driver
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2011
1,202 Posts
I think that it is generally you get what you pay for, unless you get some famous designer brand and then you are paying for a sticker with their name one it.
zanek is offline Find More Posts by zanek
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:35 AM
why am i here???????
United States, OR, Oregon City
Joined Mar 2009
714 Posts
is the case just for rc? these brands of cases are dam expensive but are well built. try pelican cases. those thingw are well built. I have one that holds my merv, transmitter, 8 extra batts plus 2 in the car, the charger and other parts and accessories. Thing cost me baotu 150 bucks but i don't have to worry about uit at all. i could tie an anchor to it and put it in the bottom of a lake and be just fine.
traxxas13 is offline Find More Posts by traxxas13
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:21 PM
Happy Newbie
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2011
86 Posts
Yeah, I'd be using it for RC, but it doesn't need to be an "rc branded" box. Basically a nice box, water-resistant/proof, with enough space for the vehicle and controller cut out of foam.
At least, that's how I envision it, I've only ever seen pictures.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:24 PM
Happy Newbie
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2011
86 Posts
AH, looking at the pelican cases brings up another question.. Size!

It seems to me I should just measure the various dimensions of the vehicle and charger, add on a few inches all around for padding and take that as my minimum dimensions, but having no experience I'm not sure if this is too simplistic, if that will leave me too small, how much I should overestimate stuff, etc?

So there's another question, how much bigger than the vehicle should the case be (assuming a hard-body case)? I assume there's lots of personal opinion, but even more of those is better than me alone with just my own.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:39 PM
why am i here???????
Joined Mar 2009
714 Posts
post the demensions of the truck, transmitter and charger. i will try to find a case that should work well for you. once i get demensions i should find a case that would work well. also would you transport it with wheels on or off?

Also do you want it all in one case or 2 different case?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:18 PM
Happy Newbie
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2011
86 Posts
It's for the Axial Wraith w/ stock pistol grip, so:
Height: just under 10"
Width: just under 12"
Length: 19 1/4"

Controller is:
Length: 6.5"
Width: 4 1/4"
Height: 8"

Thanks! I looked at the pelican site but my inexperience with layout/etc. makes it hard to know which is the 'correct' size even if it looks ok.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:09 AM
why am i here???????
Joined Mar 2009
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvy View Post
It's for the Axial Wraith w/ stock pistol grip, so:
Height: just under 10"
Width: just under 12"
Length: 19 1/4"

Controller is:
Length: 6.5"
Width: 4 1/4"
Height: 8"

Thanks! I looked at the pelican site but my inexperience with layout/etc. makes it hard to know which is the 'correct' size even if it looks ok.
all this in one case or 2? i should find one very soon. and yeah the pelican case website is a pain to search till you learn the layout.

do you want the charger in it like you are talking about? what charger is it?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:21 AM
why am i here???????
Joined Mar 2009
714 Posts
http://www.pelican1650case.com/

this case is a little short. at 10.5 inches you might have to remove tires to get a extra inch or so if removing tires doesn't bother you. If you want to keep the wheels on there is another cased but it is close to twice the price as the case i geave you a link to. the case above will work if you remove the wheels. if you want to keep the wheels on you have to go to another case which is much more. if you want a link to that one just post up. i found another pelican case website thats a bit easier to navigate.
Last edited by traxxas13; Feb 24, 2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:45 AM
Happy Newbie
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2011
86 Posts
Wow, thanks!

Yeah, 1 case not 2.

I had forgot about the charger. LHS sold me a "Hot Bodies AC/DC Micro Charge": 3 1/4" wide, 4 3/8" long, 2 5/8" high.

Don't mind taking off the tires, and if the other one is 2x as much, while I'd rather not have to take off the tires I will. lol! The tires could just sit on the hood while packed away or something.

Damn, there's nothing cheap in this hobby is there.
Last edited by Scurvy; Feb 24, 2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: clarity.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:02 AM
why am i here???????
Joined Mar 2009
714 Posts
the pelican 1650 will work just fine. even with the charger. the thing should still fit the truck, remote, charger, and the batteries. Heck maybe even the tools at the same time. There is alo enough room i think for putting the tires in there own little spot.

But these things are not cheap and they are work the price. I saw a video of a pelican case that they put 2 wine glasses in it and threw it off a 35 foot building. didn't even crack the glass.

They are well built. always worth the money. I found one that would fit by hpi baja 5b. thing will cost over 400 bucks. but when i plan on traveling by air its gonna be worth it. unless i find one thats small enought to be considered carry on i will take the front and read end of my baja and put it in the overhead area.