HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2013, 02:01 PM
Adam RED Weston
Brier, WA
Joined May 2006
523 Posts
Vision 3D picts after some flight time

I realized I didn't show the plane ready to fly in my last set of pictures. I've added a few extra reinforcements to help with the Aileron counter balance flexing issues I had. I also added a strut to hold the fuselage near the canopy.
RED_HLG is offline Find More Posts by RED_HLG
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2013, 02:06 PM
Adam RED Weston
Brier, WA
Joined May 2006
523 Posts
Jim,

I'm not that familiar with the Beast... and 3.5oz is a lot more than 35 g (=1.2oz) so it might work. I just added some more pictures of my plane, take a close look at the servo set-up. They have arms you add that more than double the length of the servo arms. I'm guessing you'll likely need to figure out something different for your servos. Best of luck, shoot us some pictures when you figure it out.

RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Marconnet View Post
Red, I found a video in which they took the equipment from a UM Beast 3D and put it all into an 80% Disney airframe. It flew noticeably slowly and manuevered well as far as I could tell from the video. I looked up the servos, SA2030L, and see they are rated at 3.5 oz torque. So for the moment I'm continuing with my plan to use the UM Sbach equipment in my Vision 3D when I get it built.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDfn62GeehI Beast flight is first on this video, then the Disney 80% and flight thereof.

Jim
Old Oct 11, 2013, 03:03 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,378 Posts
Red: The UM Beast 3D uses the same DSM2/X radio and motor as the UM Sbach 342 that I got the gear out of. The SA2030L servos that these two planes use are substantially more powerful because they need to be due to all the AS3X control surface actions required to counter wind gusts, etc. The L stands for Long throw.
Jim_Marconnet is online now Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Oct 13, 2013, 05:50 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,378 Posts
I've heard from several Vision 3D builder/owner/pilots via PMs. Several mentioned the need for a transportation/storage box for it. Anyone have a handy photo of their box and whatever they've included to properly cushion and support the plane to avoid warpage over time?
Jim_Marconnet is online now Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Oct 13, 2013, 01:58 PM
Adam RED Weston
Brier, WA
Joined May 2006
523 Posts
Mine mounts in the box it's sitting in in this picture...

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13816904593076

I have a little Velcro strap (it's gray in the picture) that holds onto the landing gear and holds it against the front edge of the box. It doesn't protect it for transport (and collecting dust) which is a great idea, but it does keep it from warping.

RED
Old Nov 22, 2013, 07:40 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,232 Posts
I have one that I love, but alas, our tiny gym is too cramped for it to survive my flying style.

Therefore, I'm installing a 3-axis gyro module to hopefully allow me to use it outside.
356Jim is online now Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Nov 22, 2013, 09:59 PM
Adam RED Weston
Brier, WA
Joined May 2006
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Jim View Post
I have one that I love, but alas, our tiny gym is too cramped for it to survive my flying style.

Therefore, I'm installing a 3-axis gyro module to hopefully allow me to use it outside.
I've flown mine a bunch outdoors, it does great until the wind picks up. I am doubtful the gyro will help much with the wind, the Vision well just get blown away, quite literally.

My experience with the gyros is they are great for sudden gusts that throw your plane off course, topping an aileron or whatever. The Vision flies so slowly, this is rarely the issue rather you end up fight the wind and the plane gets bitten backwards into the ground regardless of the stick inputs.

Best of luck, let us know what happens.

RED