HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:44 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Alex that's kinda what I was thinking of doing. These areas aren't heavily patrolled by officials or anything. I have a 2-meter motor glider we could launch from the road and fly around the area - it's quiet but it's technically a powered plane. It will fly for about 30 minutes and with thermals a lot longer, but I wouldn't want to risk getting a ticket. It's just that I think anywhere you can fly the thing in the video, should be also able to fly a light electric plane. There is no difference from an environmental standpoint.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:52 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,081 Posts
Dang ! I lost my AXN 3 months ago, didn't know it would go that far

Sincerely, I hope you find it man, it really losing a plane with that much equipment on it. I still miss mine, and the money I spent to replace everything
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV week end with friends
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:55 PM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
Thanks for the offers to help look for the plane, guys, but I've already covered all the ground that it's possible to on foot. Really need a plane at this point. Worst case scenario is I wait a few weeks and put together the EZ Star Sentry got me and then strap my GoPro to the bottom and search.

My freakin car got towed last night while spending the night at my gf's. Bastards are repaving half the lot, which is too small anyway, and they towed about 20 cars last night! I'm out $250 which isn't too bad considering the last time my car got towed and someone stole a bunch of parts of the engine!
Vitamin_J is offline Find More Posts by Vitamin_J
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:57 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Alex that's kinda what I was thinking of doing. These areas aren't heavily patrolled by officials or anything. I have a 2-meter motor glider we could launch from the road and fly around the area - it's quiet but it's technically a powered plane. It will fly for about 30 minutes and with thermals a lot longer, but I wouldn't want to risk getting a ticket. It's just that I think anywhere you can fly the thing in the video, should be also able to fly a light electric plane. There is no difference from an environmental standpoint.
That's why you need to be as inconspicuous as possible. 1 person outside the car watching, the other two inside the car. Be prepared to move the car. It's fairly easy to follow a car with a plane so long as you don't go too fast. However in this instance, I would quickly land the plane at the first sign of trouble and have someone on the trail go and get it while you drive away in the car. The person on the trail can walk right out with the plane because guess what - he wasn't flying it
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:04 PM
Broomfield, CO
Joined Dec 2004
54 Posts
Vitamin_J,
Would you be interested in flying over that area in a 172?
Several of us are also licensed pilots and I think we could get a plane this evening.
If so, let me know. We could take gopro(s) and video the area to help find the plane or document where it is if we see it.
We would be flying out of jeffco (I mean Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport)

Jeff
jhendrix is offline Find More Posts by jhendrix
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:08 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhendrix View Post
Vitamin_J,
Several of us are also licensed pilots and I think we could get a plane this evening.
If so, let me know. We could take gopro(s) and video the area to help find the plane or document where it is if we see it.

Jeff
My eyes are fogging up guys, that's just so cool, great offer!

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:14 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Quote:
Vitamin_J,

Jeff
No need for GoPro cameras - get some binoculars or a telescope, or a camera with good zoom, and that would be a great way to do it. At 400 ft AGL, I don't think a GoPro would see a little plane.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:19 PM
Going above and beyond
Joined Jan 2010
100 Posts
Quote:
I am continually impressed with the level of generosity and expertise brought to bear on difficult problems in this forum!
SupaRC is offline Find More Posts by SupaRC
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:20 PM
Suspended Account
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2004
260 Posts
PMed you guys, jasmine and Jeff.
Vitamin_J is offline Find More Posts by Vitamin_J
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:24 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Awesome. Now go find the plane, and then head out there with a heavy lift FPV Heli and pluck it out of the brush.

edit: If it's still there, I'll bet you guys will find it.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:26 PM
Broomfield, CO
Joined Dec 2004
54 Posts
At 1080p those gopro will pick up some pretty small objects. I filmed my zephyr from the ground and you could still see it when I was chasing a 737 (at least from our point of view it looked like I was chasing it)
You do want to get some kind of image (either still or video) so you could definitively pinpoint it's location and get the gps coordinates from google earth. (it would suck to locate it from the air but not be able to find it on the ground)
Old Jun 10, 2011, 03:11 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Well yeah... have your buddies on the ground already when you fly over. Call them on a cell phone and talk them in.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 03:13 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Can we please have live video coverage of the rescue attempt? I'm getting drinks and something to eat, sounds like a great show to watch

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 10, 2011, 03:25 PM
Mongolia, Ulaanbaatar, Khan Uul
Joined Jan 2011
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
So planes aren't allowed in the parks? Ok. You know how to get around that? -Alex
I fly at the crack of dawn. Ain't no park rangers/cops out then.

I say screw em. I'm a taxpayer. I'll take em to court.

Catch me if you can.
chuck99z28 is offline Find More Posts by chuck99z28
Old Jun 10, 2011, 03:38 PM
Broomfield, CO
Joined Dec 2004
54 Posts
Might not have time / resources to get live coverage up and running, but will try to document the search and rescue.