Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:40 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
Looked at this loooong ago and by accident stumbled upon it again.
Nigel i see you did post in the thread,but this looks like another possible replacement candidate
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...item2313067576
That looks awesome!
I may have to get one.
If you buy 2, you get shipping for $5 each!
Wonder if there is an RCG thread on it?
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:17 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Dismal Attempt At Wing Root Specs

I gave edge of paper specs so you can hopefully get sized correctly.
Paper is 8 1/2" wide.
2 pics of the same thing with different lighting.
You have to consider the tracing is slightly larger than actual.
The actual widest point is 22mm but the drawing is about 23.3mm.
Also consider the elevons are attached and included in the drawing.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Last edited by IFlyRCs; Jan 31, 2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:24 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,321 Posts
Many thanks for doing the outlines ... I can scale easily to the correct dimensions .. except we use A4 !! so that will need some jiggling ...

It's really for the aerofoil shape. I have a file of aerofoils and I can pick of points and check against the listings to see exactly what aerofoil was used ... then create true templates.

Before anyone asks - the list I have is HUGE !! and built up over many years ... too huge to pdf and send on ! Sorry !!

Once I have sorted the aerofoil or it's nearest equivalent - I'll post up the x/y co-ords for everyone.... or the PDF template.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:29 AM
United Kingdom, Leeds
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Parkjet v1 is no more.

Name: 20130201_161841.jpg
Views: 67
Size: 330.6 KB
Description:
crashnstick is offline Find More Posts by crashnstick
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:03 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bisley
Joined Oct 2010
84 Posts
Owch!
I found this on eBay. Looks like it could be a good way of recording speed
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=230914500919
ledzep76 is offline Find More Posts by ledzep76
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:02 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnstick View Post
Parkjet v1 is no more.

Attachment 5499040
Whats matter ? I'd soon have that back up again !

My sympathy ... honest.

But they always look worse at the field .. when I get them home and sort out the bits - often it is far better than first thought.

As others know - I've resurrected some real bags of bits !! For me - it has to be a real total job to scrap a frame.

I have an Ultimate biplane that is sitting there with smashed top wing, disintegrated front fuselage ... a real mess ... but she'll be put back together and fly again. Comes of trying to do a tuck and under when inverted too low !! The distance she cartwheeled while shedding bits was truly spectacular !

Nigel
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:12 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep76 View Post
Owch!
I found this on eBay. Looks like it could be a good way of recording speed
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=230914500919
No longer available and page cannot be viewed.

I use the Eagletree V3 speed sensor at about $35 on Hobby King. This measures air pressure as model moves forward relative to static pressure. The difference gives speed.
You have to be careful about various items when talking speed :

Ground speed - this is by radar, doppler, GPS, timed run

Airspeed - this is by Pitot sensor as the V3 above

The two are not same and by definition cannot be compared. The true speed of an airframe is Airspeed ..as an airframe regards itself as moving through air and 50mph is 50mph whatever ... ie in air moving at 20mph ... ground speed will be 50 + 20 = 70mph with wind, 50 - 20 = 30mph against wind .. but airframe will still be flying at 50mph in the moving air.

Second that when measuring speed - if you dive into the run - the speed will be higher .. what generally you are looking for is straight and level speed ... This can be difficult as the PKJ is a small model and distance flying is not so easy .. so a low-power shallow dive into the run - full power at level gives reasonable results.

Note with on-board speed sensor as the V3 - you do not need to average out with / against wind speed runs. But if you use GPS on board - then yes yopu do need to as the GPS is measuring ground speed.

Nigel
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:15 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,321 Posts
I'm promised return home next few days ... so hopefully if weather improves back home - the PKJ twin can get it's maiden.

It's been a long time coming ...

Nigel
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:04 PM
United Kingdom, Leeds
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Whats matter ? I'd soon have that back up again !

My sympathy ... honest.

But they always look worse at the field .. when I get them home and sort out the bits - often it is far better than first thought.

As others know - I've resurrected some real bags of bits !! For me - it has to be a real total job to scrap a frame.

I have an Ultimate biplane that is sitting there with smashed top wing, disintegrated front fuselage ... a real mess ... but she'll be put back together and fly again. Comes of trying to do a tuck and under when inverted too low !! The distance she cartwheeled while shedding bits was truly spectacular !

Nigel
Yeah, you're probably right mate.

That pic was posted from the field, just after gathering up the bits, with the cruel laughter of a bunch of 8yr olds still ringing in my ears.

3 big chunks, easy enough repair I suppose, she was pretty rough already, a bit more epoxy and carbon can't hurt eh?

There's a fairly hefty dent in the wing where she hit the rugby post though!! I'll get the kettle on.

Gareth
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:13 PM
United Kingdom, Leeds
Joined Aug 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I'm promised return home next few days ... so hopefully if weather improves back home - the PKJ twin can get it's maiden.

It's been a long time coming ...

Nigel
Hope you make it home and the weather is kind to you.

Get some stick time in before launching that little monster though.

That's my excuse for todays destruction, first time out flying in nearly 2 weeks, rusty thumbs................and showing off to a bunch of kids.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:24 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bisley
Joined Oct 2010
84 Posts
I hear what your saying about the speed measuring Nigel , the item i tried to post was for measuring the speed of your serve or bowl but it just relied on Doppler therefore not much different to the app on my phone.
I might try fitting a key chain cam and flying over two markers that are a known distance apart . the video should give an accurate time between the markers. I will do this in both directions and find the average {similar to timing at Bonneville} that should eliminate any wind induced variation. i will look into the V3 method too. sounds interesting.
Good luck with the twin parkjet.
ledzep76 is offline Find More Posts by ledzep76
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:21 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnstick View Post
Hope you make it home and the weather is kind to you.

Get some stick time in before launching that little monster though.

That's my excuse for todays destruction, first time out flying in nearly 2 weeks, rusty thumbs................and showing off to a bunch of kids.
First flight of any session is always my Cessna 182 ... even after 45 odd yrs at this - I still don't like diving into deep end with high perf. model first flight. The Cessna (Skyartec) is brilliant for first test of conditions ... then I look at what is suitable.

The twin is long overdue and many have been patient waiting for it ... I have to admit it is a bit frightening ...

Nigel
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:26 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep76 View Post
I hear what your saying about the speed measuring Nigel , the item i tried to post was for measuring the speed of your serve or bowl but it just relied on Doppler therefore not much different to the app on my phone.
I might try fitting a key chain cam and flying over two markers that are a known distance apart . the video should give an accurate time between the markers. I will do this in both directions and find the average {similar to timing at Bonneville} that should eliminate any wind induced variation. i will look into the V3 method too. sounds interesting.
Good luck with the twin parkjet.
Radar guns ... talk to Stu - he has one and hasn't been too successful. Anyone who wants to stand with a gun to get a reading of a PKJ passing about 20ft of the ground, 10ft to one side is braver than I !! Forget them and save money !! Even a Police Pro machine has difficulty with a model.

The V3 pitot will give good results - I've had one for more than a year and it's very good. I want another .. as I keep swapping it from model to model ...

What I really like about it - it remembers last speed ... so you can unplug ... go home and power up - read it again.

Nigel
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:08 PM
Joined Mar 2012
78 Posts
what nigel says is so true that the radar gun requires a straight on moving object such as a baseball,tennis swing or ball...ect..ect..as i get better at flying low passes with the parkjet a fellow pilot might get it's readings safely and some of the best gun readings were on larger rc planes both coming or going away from me. i wish i'd bought the gps unit from hobbyking thats small and light for onboard readings. cost $70+shipping but hasn't been in stock for many months.[over 6 months]

the pitot tube is a good way to go for $40 but i'v pinwheeled landings with the pkj's and broke the tube,replacement is only $11 for the tube but on the last crash the reader inside the fuse got damaged. i may consider the eagle tree again when i get more successful flights on the jets

rcspeedo on my android phone will be my next effort to get speed results. i can set the phone away from my standing on the flight line and get multible runs in both directions. who knows,i may even hear the vocal speed as i fly by if it's not to far out in the field. i'v tested the rcspeedo app on videos and it's working right, i just have to wait for warmer weather and a chance to fly alone at the club field when no one is running glow motors at the tables or talking to loud so to interfear with the apps performance.

when flying the funjet,pkj's.and stinger for speed i'll use the radar gun also if i have someone else along who knows how to point it right,along with a gopro silver mounted to a headband strap mount so i can video the flights,and the phone app. what worries me is i may record nice speeds with my phone app and others try to doppler the video i provide and get different readings alas,we soon will know what speed the pkj 4850kv on 3cell,and the older more beat up pkj dons wicked3000 on 4cell records......i seriousely don't expect to break any records but will post all results with videos to document all results.

one thing is for sure,the funjet ultra on headsuprc 450powerup "jet" brushless on 4cell is sedate flying compared to the pkj4850........and the dons 3000 is a total rush to keep in the air......thats the one i can't wait to record 125mph or better.

nigel,looking forward to the pkjt's maiden my friend and do go easy first time out with the throttle......i realize now more than ever that my biggest problem with the dons 3000kv on 4cell was way to much throttle straight off the bungee launch.
tobydogs is offline Find More Posts by tobydogs
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:33 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,321 Posts
Post deleted - duplicate