HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Sep 2012
162 Posts
Thanks guys. No, I'm not trying to do anything demanding with the MM. I have performance planes for that. I bought the MM for it's looks and grace in the air.

I bought the MM at a time when I had a LOT of stress in my life and very little spare time so my mind was not really focused clearly.

I made the mistake of permanently fixing (as in gluing) the rod between the two wings as the whole wing fixing idea seemed so weak. However, on it's first flight, it shot up, stalled and came down very heavily (I hadn't expected any of this as I'd not read any threads etc on it's flight characteristics) and the solid wing split at the next weakest area, which was at the trailing edge.

As previously I'd flown gliders where the wing was fixed together in this way but was attached to the fuse using the rubber bands over dowels method I'd followed this without really thinking. Of course, upon impact the wing couldn't slide forward as it was hard up against the foam in front of the canopy.

A hard earned lesson really.

I was so disappointed that I put the MM in the shed and forgot about it.

But now I have a slightly clearer mind I thought I'd give it another go.

So it'll mean cutting out the glued rod and putting a new one in. It's gonna be a fair bit of work but it's better than just leaving such a beautiful plane doing nothing.
Beanz is offline Find More Posts by Beanz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:20 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
I'll say one thing....gluing that bent rod into ONE of the tubes makes assembly at the field a hundred times easier! Mind you, you've gotta ensure it's correctly positioned (ie butt ends of the wing) precisely aligned before the adhesive sets. Without, it was like wrestling a dang monkey - 4 hands weren't enough!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:09 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,551 Posts
When my moa ran out of battery and control (long story) it came in hard on its nose and the only damage was the nose broke off and the wings just kind of bent forwards but were just taken off and remounted and were fine so I think the standard mounting of the wings is good enough unless you really want to go stupid but I have thrown mine about all over with loops and rolls etc and nothing has given way.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:49 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
Loops (within reason) & rolls should IMO be fine....just, with things like hard diving pullouts I wouldn't just assume there's no risk. Might even pull that off (no pun intended *LOL*) or even a few....but I wouldn't risk it with my plane until I've done some beefing up of that point. Like, examine the supporting structure around those 2 li'l pegs at the rear. What happens back there when things are all stressed & 'flexy'? Mine pop right out when disassembling. I plan to add some hardwood doweling, with epoxied-in sections of brass tubing for the seat.
Of course, your plane is your plane, to do with as you wish.....just sayin'.

I haven't even started on repairing my 'Moa yet - I really should get on that. I've been frettin' & worrying on a new*acquisition that's got me like a kid trying to sleep on Christmas Eve. Want a peek? http://www.hobby-lobby.com/b25_apache_princess.htm
(*promised; long story)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:07 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Loops (within reason) & rolls should IMO be fine....just, with things like hard diving pullouts I wouldn't just assume there's no risk. Might even pull that off (no pun intended *LOL*) or even a few....but I wouldn't risk it with my plane until I've done some beefing up of that point. Like, examine the supporting structure around those 2 li'l pegs at the rear. What happens back there when things are all stressed & 'flexy'? Mine pop right out when disassembling. I plan to add some hardwood doweling, with epoxied-in sections of brass tubing for the seat.
Of course, your plane is your plane, to do with as you wish.....just sayin'.

I haven't even started on repairing my 'Moa yet - I really should get on that. I've been frettin' & worrying on a new*acquisition that's got me like a kid trying to sleep on Christmas Eve. Want a peek? http://www.hobby-lobby.com/b25_apache_princess.htm
(*promised; long story)
Looks great Starhopper! But it says it is no longer available for purchase. Have you got a line on a used one, or one on a shelf in a shop? I would love one if we had a paved runway, but I don't think that gear would last long at all on our grass.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:18 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
808 Posts
One technique I have used on a variety of foamy planes is to replace the standard wing attachment hardware, usually consisting of metal screws into plastic or nylon fittings, with bigger nylon bolts into wood. I find a place to insert a soft wood (pine) crosspiece, drill a hole big enough to thread the bolt into, then "harden" the threads with CA. This retrofit is amazingly simple and easy to do. I have never had one fail.

Regards,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:40 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,551 Posts
I will keep a close eye on mine for any play and then I will beef it up a bit but as I don't really put this into steep dives and the pull out hard apart from when building enough momentum for a loop I'm hoping I should be alright for a bit.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:44 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,551 Posts
Got a 3 axis stabilizer from hobby king and trying to decide which plane to try it on.
Has anyone tried one on this old girl?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:08 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
Looks great Starhopper! But it says it is no longer available for purchase. Have you got a line on a used one, or one on a shelf in a shop? I would love one if we had a paved runway, but I don't think that gear would last long at all on our grass.

Gord
Oops - this one slipped past me Gords. For some reason the system here's not notifying me of some posts to sub'd threads. \_(?)_/

Yep - a used one. & wouldn't ya know it, out on the Left Coast. The box size (twin rudders, y'know?) is proving to be a thorn. Keepin' fins crossed!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:18 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
Got a 3 axis stabilizer from hobby king and trying to decide which plane to try it on.
Has anyone tried one on this old girl?
I'm working up a shopping list Nigel (my annual 're-stock the shop' purchase) and have a couple of their new-ish 'orange' units on my WishList. Haven't decided what I'll try them in tho -- I's thinking prolly in some scratchies I'm intending to build. My problem with the 'Moa hasn't been stability, but rather, keepin' her moving fast enough for the control surfaces to work! Lawd she floats!

Can't wait to get the new powerplant from the P2K into the 'Moa & try. But wait I still am - shame on me! So-o-o-o-ooo many planes.......
Honestly? I kinda sense myself stocking up on winter 'cabin fever' projects. Stuff to keep the ol' stiff fingers working, & in anticipation of the 'spring thaw' to look forward to. The annual 're-birth'. *LOL*
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:27 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
808 Posts
I am with Starhopper... so many planes but still a list of planes to repair and build. I have spent the Summer months in the thrall of flying; flying as many airplanes as much of the time as possible. All this while starting a new business and trying to keep my wife and family happy.

I recently put together a count of active, repairable and planes scheduled for building. I have twenty-five planes on the list. Wow! There are a couple I am going to sell, and there is always the possibility I will destroy a couple more, but that still leaves a whole air force in my basement and garage. To better organize my fleet I recently built a series of plane racks out of 3/4 inch PVC pipe and black pipe foam insulation. The insulation provides a nice surface to rest the plane on.

For the winter months I have the same plans as StarHopper. I am going to sell off the less loved planes, fix the ones that are broken or need upgrades, build the couple that are still in boxes and get every one of them flight tested and tuned for next flying season. There is some thing quite nice about having a "portfolio" of planes to choose from that are truly ready to fly. Some days I want to burn holes in the sky, others I yearn for the pleasure of catching thermals and staying aloft, still others the passion is for performing precise aerobatic routines, and last is the rapture of launching a beautiful scale warbird or civilian plane and flying it in a scale manner. This year I also got head long into amphibians and had a blast with the Dynam PBY.

Keep up the good word Starhopper and keep me posted on progress with your winter projects. I will do the same.

Cheers,

Jackson
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:36 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,551 Posts
25 planes! you are getting silly now lol, I think must have a similar amount myself and I cant help looking at new ones especially as hobby king are so cheap with a uk warehouse now quite well stocked! My winter project really must be to organize all my planes and spares-it's a real mess now planes everywhere and bit and pieces scattered all over - my wife says she does not mind me spending time and money on my hobby but can I please organize it and get the planes hanging up in the garage or something!
I would be mostly happy with just the dlg to be honest if the weather was good enough to find thermals more regularly, but I do enjoy the occational change of pace with the many other options I have lol, took out the spitfire the other day but flew 2 batts 8 mins each and was totally bored, I like the little tiger moth though, did 4 x 10 mins flights in a row and enjoyed it - it's the challenge of landing in the liitle car park with trees, bushes, houses and a lamp post to contend with that makes it interesting-low slow passes under tree and between lamp post and turning climbing out b4 hitting houses lol, dont know how long the tiggy will last b4 something goes wrong though!
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:26 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
808 Posts
Nigel,

Yikes! You have the same challenge I do with your fleet.

I have to agree that overall the DLG is the most interesting. The challenge of flying a plane with no power that you hand-launch from the ground plus the Interaction with natural winds and thermals to gain altitude and stay aloft is the most fascinating of activities.

It's too bad that you do not have a nearby club. I now belong to two formal clubs, each with its own nice facility. One is near my office, the other near my home. I also have a group of friends that I fly with on a regular basis. Lastly, the local DLG community is well-organized and has regular events. It is the social interaction with others that keeps flying from getting stale or boring for me.

BTW, I am going to pick up my repaired Lightspeed III DLG and a new Lighthawk IV (both included in my previous count) the weekend after this one. I have to drive to New Mexico to meet with the builder, Aradhana Singh. Aradhana is a Sikh who applies the same devotion to designing and building planes that he does to his faith. Wonderful guy.

Seems to me, Nigel, that your biggest project for the winter months is to just get yourself organized. I am partway there. I have to say I really enjoy showing house guests my plane collection mounted in racks in the basement. It is truly impressive, kind of like going to a museum, except that all my planes are flyable, or at least intended to be flown.

All the best,

Jackson
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:57 AM
R Rutledge
Joined Sep 2006
10 Posts
Hi:
Just received my Orange stabilizer from EBay. I installed it in one of my planes, and it work great. Flew in a 15 mile an hour wind very easy. Now, here is my question, I use a Spektrum DX8 radio with a Spkt 8000 receiver. I pluged right ail servo into right ail on Stabilizer and left ail servo into left ail on stabilizer and all I could get were either flaps or spoilers, could not make ail work. Next I used a Y harnes and pluged it into the left ail and the ails worked like they are supposed to. Does any one know how to make the ale work without using a Y harness.
Thanks in advance
RRutledge
RRutledge is offline Find More Posts by RRutledge
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:03 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRutledge View Post
Hi:
Just received my Orange stabilizer from EBay. I installed it in one of my planes, and it work great. Flew in a 15 mile an hour wind very easy. Now, here is my question, I use a Spektrum DX8 radio with a Spkt 8000 receiver. I pluged right ail servo into right ail on Stabilizer and left ail servo into left ail on stabilizer and all I could get were either flaps or spoilers, could not make ail work. Next I used a Y harnes and pluged it into the left ail and the ails worked like they are supposed to. Does any one know how to make the ale work without using a Y harness.
Thanks in advance
RRutledge
Hi, I read up b4 ordering the stabilizer and it seems the ailerons just need to be on a Y lead but if you think about it, it's quite good because you have the option for using the Y lead or using the other output which is reversed so you can make your servos work how they should either way.
The shame is that they did not include the option for 2 aileron inputs so you can use flaperons, if u want to use flaperons you have to use just aileron in the stabilizer and leave the other as normal-not ideal but would still work.