Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 03, 2010, 06:17 AM
Joined May 2005
86 Posts
Discussion
Mylar hinge CA`ing. How?

My kit came with 6 sided mylar hinges.
The manual states to use CA.
My manual says to glue to wing or aileron first then connect to other surface "with no gap" and CA.
How can you wick CA on the hinge with no gap.even with the smallest nozzle surely it will hit the joinning area.
What is the best correct method or any tricks of the trade?
rubble is offline Find More Posts by rubble
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2010, 08:06 AM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubble View Post
My kit came with 6 sided mylar hinges.
The manual states to use CA.
My manual says to glue to wing or aileron first then connect to other surface "with no gap" and CA.
How can you wick CA on the hinge with no gap.even with the smallest nozzle surely it will hit the joinning area.
What is the best correct method or any tricks of the trade?
\...|.../...|...\...|.../

That's the best I can do for a diagram of wiggling the control surface back and forth until the CA sets.
Ira NZ is offline Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Old Jul 03, 2010, 10:43 AM
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Apr 2007
1,125 Posts
Get some capillary tubing for the CA bottle from your hobby store. A piece about 3/4" long can be used to get into some very tight spaces. I never use CA direct from the bottle as I find it gets very messy. Be sure to drill a small hole in the middle of hinge slot to allow the CA to wick into the hinge.

Even with 'no gap' it should be possble to move the control surface one way or another and see enough hinge to get the glue on. Apply two or three drops, hold the control surface still for a few seconds, turn over and repeat on the other side. It's fiddly but it can be done. There is a YouTube video and lots of help on the web.

If you don't feel confident about it, use solid hinges and some epoxy instead.
DeeBee1 is offline Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Old Jul 03, 2010, 12:37 PM
Joined May 2005
86 Posts
DeeBee1, Thanks for tip.
I did not think to move the ele/aileron up or down to get a clear shot.
I can see that working thanks. The hinges i have come with a slot cut already,i wondered the reason for that.now i know.Good job that was mentioned because i was going to insert the hinges the wrong way,slot parallel to hinge
rubble is offline Find More Posts by rubble
Old Jul 03, 2010, 10:50 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,340 Posts
And do yourself a favor and use thin or ultra thin CA for the hinges. Even better - use flexible thin CA if you can get it (sold at hobby shops).

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member