Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by ToxicToast, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 29, 2010, 12:11 AM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Discussion
Skyburners Micro Yak Design

I took some design cues from both Leadfeather and 3Deranged's Yak interpretations and designed a small field 3D acrobat with a hint of F3P. At 23 inches wing span, and 25" to the tail, the target is a lightweight compact Depron model for intermediate to advanced pilots. Not being an EPP plane, the plane will have low crash survivability, instead relying on low inertia and mass combined with good pilot skill will make this an awesome plane. Choosing depron as the medium was based on the reduced need for stiffeners in order to preserve crispness in acrobatic control. Milling was extensively used to help manage the weight of the airframe.

In many ways, this is a distinctly different plane than its inspiration and it was drawn from the ground up.

I've also emphasized making it easy to snap the pieces accurately in place. Designed around the AR6300, true 4g servos and the "HobbyCity 18-11 2000kv Micro Brushless Outrunner (10g)" motor, it should fall under 85g.

There are still several things on my to do list for the next iteration. Mostly addressing small clean up and part management in the code, as well as switching to a grooved carbon channel. Currently, the rudder control will interfere with the elevator at extreme angles. This among a few other issues remain. Milling this much material takes a little over an hour at a conservative 25ipm on the MK2 Phlatprinter.
ToxicToast is offline Find More Posts by ToxicToast
to remove ads between posts