HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2004, 07:26 PM
DS JUNKY
DA VALLEY, CA
Joined Jun 2004
1,445 Posts
Finished Building my Kulbutin

Thought I'd post the pics of my just built Kulbutin. I know the plane looks kind of silly in advertisements but if you see one in person it is actually a great looking plane with a lot of presance due to its size. One of the things that reallys cheapens its look is by putting all the cheesy decals on it. Only decals I went with are the shred lines. I also painted the canopy black to give it a more realistic look (didn't put a pilot in tho). What do you guys think? This plane definitly gets plenty of attention.

The ideal CG is quite forward of the recommended and I ended up with about 12mm infront of recommended and that is about perfect. Plane flys quite fast despite how it looks and the energy retention is a lot better then one would expect with a fuse like that. I had the elevator turned up just a bit like 18 degrees of the possible 85 and even then the plane will do some very erratic looking loops (almost an L) with just 18 degrees of throw and some speed. I have not yet braved to go to high rates on the elevator. Ailerons are super responsive and the roll rate is extreemly impressive. Does goregeous snap rolls and in moderate lift was able to hold quite a knife edge.

Weak points of the plane is the fuse which is on the fragile side. I came in a little hard one of my landings and ended up with two hair line cracks on the bottom. I'm thinking skids or a wheel will help a lot here. The other negative thing is it requires quite a bit of room to land. The plane flys pretty fast but also has low wing loading so it glides quite well so your final approach will be pretty wide and expect to hold the plane a few feet off the ground for a decent distance. Even upon touching on the grass the plane continues to skid forward for about 25 feet. Due to this you need to have a pretty good flying site for safe landings and is the reason I have it up for sale in the forsale section if anyone is interested as most of the flying I do is costal with crappy to beyond crappy landing areas.

Building is somewhat time consuming as you have to setup the ball bearing fully rotating horizontol stab etc. Instructions are detailed in picture but have no written description so if anyone is building one and has any questions let me know and I'll be happy to answer. Definatly an unusual plane.

Z06kal is offline Find More Posts by Z06kal
to remove ads between posts