HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2014, 03:52 PM
Professional Amateur
Joined Feb 2013
1,789 Posts
Yes, but the additional steps aren't any more difficult skill-wise, you just have to glue a few more simple pieces in place, or make a pair of wing struts, which are no more difficult than the control rods you're already making and are lighter while being far more crashproof. If you're already spending the time to build a plane, it's only a few more minutes of time to glue a spar or a longeron to foam.

Another thing i'm thinking as well, i'm on top of a mountiain in the high desert, thin dry air, and it seems the paper peels off foam so ridiculously easy that it doesn't actually provide any shear strength, it almost falls off. I'm wondering if the foamboard is different down on earth where it might stick to the board better from some environmental factor like low moisture or low pressure expanding the foam and breaking the glue bonds.
Rusty Mustard is online now Find More Posts by Rusty Mustard
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2014, 03:59 PM
Professional Amateur
Joined Feb 2013
1,789 Posts
Here's one, and they mention it in other episodes as well. I'll post a pic of my setup soon, i've gotta charge my camera battery first.

Flite Test - Thrust Angle - FAST TIP (3 min 21 sec)
Old Mar 07, 2014, 04:02 PM
Gravity sucks
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2011
522 Posts
Rusty, do you not poly the paper to make it water proof? Is that because in your method it adds too much weight?
newTOpro is online now Find More Posts by newTOpro
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2014, 04:32 PM
Professional Amateur
Joined Feb 2013
1,789 Posts
I don't have any poly to work with, and it's truthfully a LOT easier to just peel the foam, dust it with a shot of Elmers spray glue, which costs a tenth as much as poly, lay in any reinforcement strips necessary, and then tape over it. Lighter, flexible, damn near unbreakable, and i don't have to try to poly every plane i build. That's more of an expense and hassle than it's worth to me for something that might not ever make it in the air if it gets damaged by a mountain gust while carrying it up to my launch point on the ridge. This happens way more often than you might think, when the wind switches 180 on you and the plane you were holding downwind slaps you in the face. This exact thing folded an unmounted wing in half 2 days ago. A taped wing will just flex in a gust and pop back to shape. Poly'd paper will crack and buckle.

Another thing is i just don't have access to half the stuff they use on flitetest, there's no hobby shop, i don't have any accounts so i've got to get friends to order stuff for me when i can. My building supplies mainly come from a poorly stocked dollar store and from recycle bin diving.

If i didn't build planes this way, i'd fly, crash once, and walk home. With the simple methods i've described, the flitetest designs could be lighter and more durable for a lot less work.

Below is a pic of how i do thrust angle. The pic is all downthurust, but if i needed side thrust on the model i'd put the skewer, or in this pic, square matchstick, at an angle and adjust the tension of the zipties to make it work. You can hot glue or even CA the piece in place once you know where it needs to go but until then, leave it loose and you can make fine adjustments.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 04:49 PM
Gravity sucks
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2011
522 Posts
Thanks for your build details. I'm going to try a second Delta with your method to compare to the one I just built per FT methods.
newTOpro is online now Find More Posts by newTOpro
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2014, 05:05 PM
Professional Amateur
Joined Feb 2013
1,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newTOpro View Post
Thanks for your build details. I'm going to try a secon Delta with your method to compare to the one I just built per FT methods.
Peel the paper and add Pallet Strap Reinforcement to the design using an A-frame arrangement as used on the Vulcan A. The Vulcan A is an example of how i go about building a delta wing.

With the Kf step it's worth it to put PSR just in front of the step,, the 2 layers of foam with PSR on the outside is stiffer than just one. Along with that, use less hot glue and save even more weight. When sticking flat surfaces together,use a dusting of elmers spray glue, let it tack for about 15 seconds and stick the parts together. Way stronger and lighter. If you want, sandwich pallet strap in between the steps along the LE for combat and extra crashproofing, as well as anywhere else you need to lay PSR. Elmers spray, PSR, and foam are a winning combo in my workshop.Sticks better than hot glue and will re-stick if it does peel apart, just squeeze it back together and it'll heal a few times before it needs more glue.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 05:29 PM
United States, WV, Lewisburg
Joined Feb 2014
15 Posts
Perhaps someone should start a thread called "Build it Like I do and Not Like the Flite Test Guys". I would think that might be more appropriate than posting "Don't Build it Like These Guys Tell You To" in a Flite Test thread.

Not to put too sharp a point on it but bashing what other folks are trying to do isn't terribly productive. Flite Test is oriented to the Newbies, the Cheapies, the Tinkerers and the Fledgeling Designers as well as those that are some combination of all the above.

Those that have methods they believe are superior should espouse them without detracting from the work of the Flite Test folks. I would think some other venue (like another thread) would serve that purpose better.

I've had my say and I'm done with this.
Krumpel is offline Find More Posts by Krumpel
Old Mar 07, 2014, 06:53 PM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
403 Posts
Krumpel, Well said and totally agree. Best, Aero
Aeronut41 is offline Find More Posts by Aeronut41
Old Mar 07, 2014, 08:46 PM
United States, CA, Santee
Joined Aug 2010
44 Posts
dull blades tear foam

I have just recently started building planes with foamboard, and have found that #11 blades dull very quickly, tearing instead of cutting. I found a cool tool many years ago, while attending the weak signals show in toledo, ohio. It's a hobby knife sharpener. It works very well; just a few swipes each side of the blade, it's good as new. Can't tell you the last time I had to buy blades. Just google edjer.com. Sorry, I would have posted a link, but I haven't figured that out yet.
fatboylast is online now Find More Posts by fatboylast
Old Mar 07, 2014, 10:12 PM
Joined Jun 2013
30 Posts
My Little FT Squadron

The Viggen is the newest member, yet to maiden her or the Cruiser. Waiting on my EDF unit to finish up the Viggen. Love the Spitfire and 3D, can't wait to fly the other two!
Smok1n is offline Find More Posts by Smok1n
Old Mar 07, 2014, 10:37 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumpel View Post
Perhaps someone should start a thread called "Build it Like I do and Not Like the Flite Test Guys". I would think that might be more appropriate than posting "Don't Build it Like These Guys Tell You To" in a Flite Test thread.

Not to put too sharp a point on it but bashing what other folks are trying to do isn't terribly productive. Flite Test is oriented to the Newbies, the Cheapies, the Tinkerers and the Fledgeling Designers as well as those that are some combination of all the above.

Those that have methods they believe are superior should espouse them without detracting from the work of the Flite Test folks. I would think some other venue (like another thread) would serve that purpose better.

Most of the build threads on the Scratch Build forum are full of modifications, different methods to accomplish the same thing and deviations from the original design. If we did everything exactly the way FT does what would we have to talk about?

I would agree that bashing the FT guys is not cool but I did not see a post that does that.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Mar 07, 2014, 10:37 PM
Joined Jan 2014
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumpel View Post

It's like this dude, you have all of 8 posts and one of them was used to run another person off this page earlier this week just for discussing a different hinge design. Now you're bashing someone else. I haven't read your other 6 posts to see if this is all you do on here, but at least 25% of your total activity on rcgroups is being hateful to long term committed members.
You do realize this isn't Flite Test right? This is rcgroups. If you're such a FT purist maybe you should go there and harass those people for also trying to enhance the original design. All we're doing is talking about there planes. As such, I think we'll go ahead and welcome the great advice offered from these guys that have been around a bit longer than you and I.
If you want respect as a newbie on here perhaps calling multiple people out with thousands of posts over a few days isn't the best way to be taken as anything more than a troll or a trouble maker.
Dotcom1 is offline Find More Posts by Dotcom1
Old Mar 07, 2014, 10:51 PM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotcom1 View Post
It's like this dude, you have all of 8 posts and one of them was used to run another person off this page earlier this week just for discussing a different hinge design. Now you're bashing someone else. I haven't read your other 6 posts to see if this is all you do on here, but at least 25% of your total activity on rcgroups is being hateful to long term committed members.
You do realize this isn't Flite Test right? This is rcgroups. If you're such a FT purist maybe you should go there and harass those people for also trying to enhance the original design. All we're doing is talking about there planes. As such, I think we'll go ahead and welcome the great advice offered from these guys that have been around a bit longer than you and I.
If you want respect as a newbie on here perhaps calling multiple people out with thousands of posts over a few days isn't the best way to be taken as anything more than a troll or a trouble maker.
Not to be rude but it is THEIR planes not there planes. LOL just having some fun. My wife is a grammar nazi and I have learned to spot those things to.

Agreed though on your points. I started this thread for everyone to discuss the flite test planes and enjoy sharing pictures of all our builds. It's great if someone has an idea on how to improve on a build and they are more than welcome to post it here but lets not bad mouth the flite test guys for what they have done for our hobby.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Mar 07, 2014, 11:14 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
Now that that is settled on to discussing the building of FT Airplanes.

There was one post on this thread, or maybe another where a guy used a hot iron to melt the foam under the paper to bevel the edges of the control surfaces. I went a step further and used the same method to round the leading edges of the wing. It also hardened the leading edge and stuck the paper down really well.

Be careful if you want to try this. I practiced on scrap pieces of foam before doing it to my airplane.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Mar 08, 2014, 09:55 AM
Crash 'em if you got 'em
United States, TX, Euless
Joined May 2013
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smok1n View Post
The Viggen is the newest member, yet to maiden her or the Cruiser. Waiting on my EDF unit to finish up the Viggen. Love the Spitfire and 3D, can't wait to fly the other two!
Like the RED!!
waytooslow is offline Find More Posts by waytooslow
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Maiden of Starmax F5 Tiger