HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:00 PM
Joined Mar 2012
59 Posts
Question
Minwax/coating, lead edges and hinge areas

Hello All,

Noob here. Will be getting my first "real" plane (after 3 years of cheap 2 channels - decent training i think/hope and much fun) and got the tip about using a few coats of Minwax Polycrylic to seal up the foam which sounds great. My questions...

Do you have to tape off control surface hinge areas to avoid the coating possibly gathering in there and binding it up? Or do the hinge areas still stay flexible after a few applications...

Do you still tape your leading edges and bottom (for belly landers) after using the coating? Or is it enough...

Welcome any suggestions and thanks very much. Your guys' helpfulness really makes the hobby.
cram is offline Find More Posts by cram
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:02 PM
Joined Mar 2012
59 Posts
Oh, and any recommendations on spray versus paint on? I'd think for getting leading edges well, painting it on might be better. No clue, though.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:50 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,852 Posts
I always buy the brush on. It's much cheaper and it goes on very smooth. Using a brush you don't have to worry about the hinges as you just brush around them. I like to put a strip of tape over the leading edge and on the underside for belly landers. Filament tape on the bottom.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:20 PM
Joined Mar 2012
59 Posts
Gotcha. I could just picture using spray and getting it in the creases along the control/hinge edges of the rudder, elevator, and ailerons and it building up...hindering movement. will use tape as well. thanks very much for the advice. can't wait to put lights on it, aiming them at the wing from the fuse, and seeing what the coating does.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:19 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,852 Posts
PS - I like the $Tree clear tape as it is very thin and light. The "brand name" shipping tapes can be quite heavy.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy