Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:20 AM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,052 Posts
Question
"Any Scale" RC Accessories

Just a question to the masses,

I have been modeling for 40+ years now (ouch) and I notice that a lot of the accessories we use like wheels, radial engines, machine guns and such are 1) limited to a small scale range and 2) are sometimes hard to come by, expensive and can be "less than great quality"

Would the Scale modeling community be willing to purchase accessories at any scale (1/4 and smaller) at a very reasonable price, created by a designer/modeler?

I'm toying on 3D printing these accessories on an "order by order" basis, many popular accessories like Spandau to Lewis Guns, Radials to Clerget, Exhaust stacks to gun sights... and ANY other accessory that can be 3D printed in plastic... keep the design files and scale then to ANY size the client wants. The more people want, the more options available to others...

Thoughts? - Interest?
Shnokey is online now Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:10 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,419 Posts
Yep, to all the above.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:27 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
I think this could be quite popular if (big if) the cost makes it viable for you. You'd be doing scale bits like Callie does scale graphics.

I've been looking for a 1/12th scale Wright J5C. There is a fantastic WB 1/12 scale version but individual cylinders are $3.50ea. Add crankcase and shipping and it's almost $50.00 for a scale motor that I still have to assemble (and I've read that it's pretty heavy to boot).

Another thought is scale retracts. If they can be engineered to work, people would probably be willing to pay a bit more than for a set of wheels or a motor.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:27 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,118 Posts
I think it would be smart to 3D print an original in each size, then use traditional silicon molds and resin rotational casting for mass production... the materials are cheaper and parts can be reproduced quicker this way.

Of course, it's just a short matter of time before every Staples and Office Depot and Kinkos has a 3D printer service. Or just mail-order, like shapeways.com or scupteo.com or many others:

http://3dprinterhub.com/3d-printer-services
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:29 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,118 Posts
I want this:

http://formlabs.com/
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:34 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
Of course, it's just a short matter of time before every Staples and Office Depot and Kinkos has a 3D printer service. Or just mail-order, like shapeways.com or scupteo.com or many others:

http://3dprinterhub.com/3d-printer-services
THAT is the challenge - you have to "corner" the market and make it easier for those who can not design in 3D to just order the part they want - Like Callie!!! -
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:53 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,118 Posts
Yes, I think the key is coming up with the digital model, because it won't be long before 3D printers become available and affordable for home use. But then how do you keep people from sharing your file?

I've looked at the business model of a small cottage industry making pilots and such, but it's hard to compete with the Chinese prices.

I'm not saying don't try it, just think of the investment in materials and the machine and how much you'd have to sell at what price for it to be profitable.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:55 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,314 Posts
Don't we wrap thread around paper cylinders with carved balsa heads and use soda straws for gear struts?

Seriously though, with so many people ARFing it these days and so few Scale kits, all in various scales instead of the 18th, 12th and 1/8th like they used to nearly all be, this type thing could catch on.

Williams Bros used to sell the radial engines as a complete kit, but they're expensive and heavy. I only used them on control line Scale models, and oh how they look so good!

Representative detail components made to a similar or better quality than Williams Bros, for example, that are lightweight would be worth the attempt. The market would probably come to whomever attempted it if even modest business sense was used. If the materials used by those printers is strong enough to make an articulating retract system for a 36 inch Bearcat, I'm going to get emotional!
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:12 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,052 Posts
I bet this could make your retracts!!!! -

3D Printing - PolyJet - Additive Technologies (9 min 58 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:43 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,493 Posts
3D printing is still kind of expensive. If you look at Shapeways and see what they charge you get an idea. I use a Polyjet printer a lot (actually I designed the UV curing system for it). The platens and refill cartridges are quite spendy and it takes some practice to develop the skill to place the part in the right position and angle to get a good print without the supporting structures messing it up.

There is technology coming that will reduce the price. The printing industry wants to see a 3d printer in every household like the way ink jet printers are currently in most houses. They love the idea of consumable items like refills. The printers we buy now for $20-$100 are purchased at a loss with the idea we make payments everytime we buy the refills. That's OK to me but what needs to happen now is for the printers to get down to a point that the industry can sell them at cost or at a slight loss knowing they will get their investment back fairly quickly.

I think if you can find an affordable printer that is cost effective to run then go for it! Are you using SolidWorks, ProE or similar for CAD? I have my own copy of SolidWorks if you ever need CAD help.

P.S. Here are some DC-6B Cowlings I did the design for and a friend printed them. I used the masters to have vac formed parts made at Parkflyer Plastics.

Dave
payne9999 is offline Find More Posts by payne9999
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:53 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,052 Posts
Or maybe just design the files for the parts and sell them as people buy their little 3D printer - ? - I have ProE (Creo 2.0) and Solidworks (also TurboCAD) - Interesting feedback - thanks ALL -
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:40 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,749 Posts
With technology like the FARO 3D scanner http://www.faro.com/3dimager/
it will soon be possible to duplicate almost anything limited only by the size of the print area. For example one could 3D scan his torso into CAD, re size and print a bust of himself in any scale. Amazing technology!

Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:05 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glewis View Post
With technology like the FARO 3D scanner http://www.faro.com/3dimager/
it will soon be possible to duplicate almost anything limited only by the size of the print area. For example one could 3D scan his torso into CAD, re size and print a bust of himself in any scale. Amazing technology!

Glenn
Glenn,

I am in the technology business now for 30 years and it is amazing to me even from where I sit.

So, after all these years finally the George Jetson replicator is coming, well almost. But where are my flying cars? In the 60's we were told there would be flying cars and household robots!

I know Moller is working on it but they have been since 2000 or so.

Dave
payne9999 is offline Find More Posts by payne9999
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:20 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,749 Posts
I have been in the electronics industry for about the same amount of time and have worked on some pretty cool stuff over the years. A lot of it was DoD stuff that I can't discuss here but it was cutting edge technology for it's time. FARO is one of our customers now and I am involved heavily in their product line.
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:20 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,573 Posts
Pretty cool times that we live in huh!

I knew of 3-D printing but didn't know you could mix materials like the video showed.

Maybe the future will allow us to purchase whatever scale engine we want (or other scale features).

This will sure change the scale modeling if the cost can come down....
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge