HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Feb 2006
30 Posts
Discussion
How do I set up my rc truck to run on my DX8 transmitter?

I am going to use a cheap Hpi brama as a ground vehicle to test and configure all my fpv gear.

I want to continue to use my Spektrum DX8 tx, (yes, I really do).

Aside from Installing a different Spektrum rx in the car, at else do I need to know to do this? I've been into helis for years, but have never had any rc cars. I'm not that familiar with how their control systems work.

Will any Spektrum rx work? How do I setup e reverse function? If the throttle is all the way down, it is at rest, but how do I activate reverse on my tx?

there are very good reasons why for fpv I want o keep using the air style tx. I am also trying to build muscle memory.
dma251 is offline Find More Posts by dma251
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:44 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,821 Posts
If you want to do this, you should convert the throttle channel to self centering. There's no way to make reverse/brake work if you use 0% throttle as your neutral point.

Keep in mind that you'll be building very little useful muscle memory driving a car vs flying a plane. Planes require multiple inputs at a time to make coordinated turns (aileron, rudder and elevator), not a simple turning of the wheels like a car does.

You'll need a spektrum air TX (or marine if you have one of those handy). If you look on the spektrum website it'll tell you which receivers are compatible with air transmitters. Any of the surface (SRxxx) receivers won't work with the DX8.

IMO, you'd be better off just testing the range/clarity of the FPV setup with the car using the stock radio/receiver, then fly the plane LOS (line of sight) to get used to flying it. Once you're comfortable with flying LOS, take off and land LOS but fly FPV in a safe area, with a spotter on a buddy box. Then move to taking off/landing FPV but still with a spotter on a buddy box for a few flights. Once you're totally comfortable with it all then maybe try flying alone. According to the FAA you're always supposed to have a spotter on a buddy box, but from what I've seen it's a rarity to fly like that.

You can also test the FPV gear directly on the plane while flying LOS and having a friend wear the goggles or look at the monitor.
wparsons is online now Find More Posts by wparsons