HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:38 AM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckman49 View Post
Hey everyone! Well, the build was very easy and straightforward. As with everyone else, my horizontal stabilizer is really warped downward. Any recommendations for an easy fix for that? Got my batteries yesterday and she balanced almost perfect. Just a tad nose heavy but should be an easy fix shaving a little foam. I measured 4-3/8" from leading edge of top wing and next to the wing support, falls just behind the carbon rod, does that sound right to you guys/
My first flights my CG was 5mm in front the spar, and was pretty nose heavy. Sounds like your go for maiden!

As far as the Horz Stab, carbon fiber, epoxy, and a couple phone books? I get my new Devil today and will check/address the stab issue.

Let us know how it goes!
pullup! is online now Find More Posts by pullup!
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:55 AM
OCD RC Freak
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Yeah, I like the carbon fiber idea, I have to stop at LHS anyway to get more battery Velcro, thanks for the tip
chuckman49 is offline Find More Posts by chuckman49
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:56 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
chuckman - I posted this a bit earlier.

OK, on to the plane. The reason they need up elevator, IMHO, is because the elevator has a cup in it! Look at yours from the side and see if the stab is straight but the rear part of the elevator turns downward. The trailing edge has a downward bend that gets worse from the fuselage out to the tip. That may be why it flies well but needs elevator to fly inverted even after being well trimmed. The horizontal stabilizer seems OK. I will use gentle heat and clamp on some straight material to hold it until it cools. I've seen this sort of thing before and if you are cautious it is fairly easy to fix. May take more than one application of heat.

I've got 2 heat cycles on it so far and it is nearly flat. Just be very careful not to bend too far or too fast.

Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:10 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
525 Posts
Must Have Helium...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckman49 View Post
Hey everyone! Well, the build was very easy and straightforward. As with everyone else, my horizontal stabilizer is really warped downward. Any recommendations for an easy fix for that? Got my batteries yesterday and she balanced almost perfect. Just a tad nose heavy but should be an easy fix shaving a little foam. I measured 4-3/8" from leading edge of top wing and next to the wing support, falls just behind the carbon rod, does that sound right to you guys/
...infused in that prop to get that CG out of the box...

chuckman,
Sounds like you're set. My Devil must be a Pig since I couldn't get the CG aft of the upper wing spar without forcing it...... Just make sure to check the incidence, & by that I mean don't line up the elevator with the stab. Set the elevator in a slight up condition in relation to the stab. Of course, how much initially is an educated guess & YMMV... I'd put 6:00 minutes on the clock & then land to see what your pack cell voltages end up at. Mine are coming in around 3.72 - 3.78 for any given cell... By the way what brand & size packs are you running? I've got Gens Ace 25C & Sky Lipo 30C 2200mAh ones from some previous ships that I'm using. I might look at some nano-tech packs to help her out with her "diet" plan...

Keep the throws tame for take-off & landing & then switch to high rates & let 'er rip!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullup! View Post
My first flights my CG was 5mm in front the spar, and was pretty nose heavy.
pullup,
Same with my lil' Devil. I'm thinking the battery mod we did was a huge help but I'm finding the pack needs to go back further almost with about 1/2 of it ending up on top of the lower wing saddle... Still trying to sort that out but I'll get her dialed in, even if I need to add "a little" weight to the tail, like I did. Haven't got around to testing her out yet but the CG wants to be back further than 115mm, or 4 1/2", for how I, & I'm betting you, like to fly the Devil...

Quote:
As far as the Horz Stab, carbon fiber, epoxy, and a couple phone books? I get my new Devil today and will check/address the stab issue.
Already been there & done that. Now I'm considering adding CF strips to the ends of the elevator to help straighten the other axis out as I've already glued them to the trailing edges & that helped a lot...

Let us know the build goes, if you do anything different from the first time around & show some photos of your next battery bay rework 'cause as Kelsey
Grammer used to say: "I'm listening..."...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Last edited by RCAV8T0R; Jan 23, 2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:15 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
525 Posts
Beat Her Into Submission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
chuckman - I posted this a bit earlier...

I will use gentle heat and clamp on some straight material to hold it until it cools. I've seen this sort of thing before and if you are cautious it is fairly easy to fix. May take more than one application of heat. [/B]

I've got 2 heat cycles on it so far and it is nearly flat. Just be very careful not to bend too far or too fast.

Don
...with warmth & kindness...

dkrhardy,
Good tips about the heating fix. I might have to try that since I've got a heat gun in the hangar...

Ready for your Devil's maiden yet? We're standing by to find out what happens so best of luck...
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:41 PM
OCD RC Freak
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
@RCAV8TOR, I'm using some zippy 4S 2200 "compact" packs I bought from Hobby King USA warehouse. Still have to solder the correct connectors on, put some velcro farther back
In the battery bay, loctite all those little screws and nuts, and do what I can to straighten out! flatten out the elevator, program in some rates and expos, and she is ready! Can't wait!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:47 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
Got a lot of the build finished today. The itsy bitsy screws they give you for the cabane and wing attachment ............... 2 of them broke with mild tightening! Lucky that there were several extras! I have it bound, servos and rods adjusted. Looks about ready.

Did anyone else find that the outer most cabane has a bit-o-gap toward the leading edge? Only on the lower wing. Both sides are equal, so I presume that is to set the incidence.

I wish I knew how to post photos, I am computer challenged. I can send email photos, but ............. The GloCoat wax thing really helps to make it look less dull ... pun intended. BTW, it gives it a lemony fresh smell too.

For now I have it really dumbed down. On my DX8, low rate is 50% with 30 expo, mid rate is 60% with 30 expo, high rate is 70% with 30 expo. All control surfaces are flat and no up elevator in it .....YET!

My blue thread lock seems to be just water ..............???? I think I'll use a small blob of hot glue on the ends of the screw/nuts. Will that work? Never tried it, but ............ it always seems to hold things together.

Tomorrow is golf so I may get to the final CG, etc. later in the day.

Don
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:08 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Got a lot of the build finished today. The itsy bitsy screws they give you for the cabane and wing attachment ............... 2 of them broke with mild tightening! Lucky that there were several extras! I have it bound, servos and rods adjusted. Looks about ready.

Did anyone else find that the outer most cabane has a bit-o-gap toward the leading edge? Only on the lower wing. Both sides are equal, so I presume that is to set the incidence.

I wish I knew how to post photos, I am computer challenged. I can send email photos, but ............. The GloCoat wax thing really helps to make it look less dull ... pun intended. BTW, it gives it a lemony fresh smell too.

For now I have it really dumbed down. On my DX8, low rate is 50% with 30 expo, mid rate is 60% with 30 expo, high rate is 70% with 30 expo. All control surfaces are flat and no up elevator in it .....YET!

My blue thread lock seems to be just water ..............???? I think I'll use a small blob of hot glue on the ends of the screw/nuts. Will that work? Never tried it, but ............ it always seems to hold things together.

Tomorrow is golf so I may get to the final CG, etc. later in the day.

Don
Shake up the thread lock, just a drop on the threads is all that is needed. After you have bolted wipe of excess it will cure. Thread lock will not activate until its void of oxygen.

Got my Devil in today, will start to tinker in the next day or two
pullup! is online now Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:57 AM
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
I do shake the stink out of it! I guess it is just the outside part that stays wet. OKIE DOKIE!
Don
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:04 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
Chuckman - the CG is at the fuselage not out at the wing support. Having said that .... my oh my, that CG point sure seems waaaaaay far back. But then again it is a biplane so the monoplane logic goes away.
Played golf today with my wife, then went to the courts for another 3 hours. Not much time left to do plane work. At 6PM it is toddy time, then a nice dinner at about 8. Tomorrow is flying early, then ..........? I just might get some time on the palne and maiden next week. Our club does not fly on Saturday or Sunday.

Don
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:30 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Why can't you fly on the weekend? I guess if you aren't retired you don't fly there.
Can you not fly by yourself either?
Walter
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:40 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
Walter - we have an agreement with the folks at the polo grounds that we don't fly on the weekends. Also, our club rules say that we should not fly alone ... no observer. So, if we want to fly on the weekend we need to go to a local field. Most of us are OK and have not joined another club. Our field is so nice, we just fly 5 out of 7 days. Gotta have some time to build, repair, whatever.

Retired? 99.9% of us are retired. If 5 days flying is not enough, there are TONS of other things to do. Today we played golf and then did 3 hours on the court. Busy enough for us old, retired, geezers.

Tomorrow will not be the maiden. I still have another new plane to maiden anyway. we shall see.

Don
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:42 PM
OCD RC Freak
Joined Aug 2011
213 Posts
Well, she is complete.

Battery Tray Mod:

Battery Tray Mod:

Battery Position After Mod:

Battery Position After Mod :

Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:42 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Gotcha.
We can't fly alone either. But we are working on amending that rule.
The 3d guys like to fly when everyone else isn't ther. That way they can hog the runway!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:58 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Chuckman,
Nice Pics!
What kind of foam is that you used for your battery mod?
Walter