SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:25 PM
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Aug 2012
247 Posts
Looks impressive! Did you get any footage yet ?
edit:

never mind , found it!
jamac is offline Find More Posts by jamac
Last edited by jamac; Sep 26, 2012 at 09:33 PM. Reason: update
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Sep 2011
40 Posts
Great work-

PM sendet

Cheers Andi
andi1963 is offline Find More Posts by andi1963
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:20 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2011
62 Posts
I have been getting a few pm's and replies asking for more info on this hexacopter and gimbal build, so I thought I would give an update.

I have done some initial flights and the hex has proven to be both stable and durable. Survived the controlled crash into the ground when I tossed a prop and it became a pentacopter.

The gimbal is not yet performing to my expectations. Two reasons here...

First... my servos are too slow (.14 seconds/60 degrees at 7.4 V) Remember there is a 1:2.5 reduction resulting in .35 seconds/60 degrees

And Second... the Naza gimbal control may not be up to task.

So, I've got some new servos that are .032 seconds/60 degrees at 7.4V which will result in .08 seconds/60 degrees!!! The MXL pulleys arrived today, so I may have them on soon.

We'll see how they work with the Naza, but I am still planning to buy a dedicated gimbal controller. I tried with my OPCC, but wasn't happy. Hoverfly gimbal controller is still backordered, and Jakub's Smoooth V1.0 gimbal controller is still a ways out. I am even considering Radians!!!

I also have redesigned my mount to place the CG in the center of my hex, and have scribbled down on paper a pan axis conversion...but first things first. I want to get the gimbal working better.

Also swapped out the lens on my GoPro Hero to the Sunex lens. Now I need to redesign the mount and the lens protection

Have been very busy and not been spending much time on this project of late and will be gone for a few weeks, so probably not much will be done soon. I did however sign up for Vimeo and uploaded a test video. This video is kinda dumb, but does show the stability in hover of the hex. I just wanted to see how the whole upload process works, so cut me a break. Eventually I would like to show a split screen with GoPro footage and video from the ground so you can see the gimble functioning.

So here's the video...prepare to be bored...

test aerial golf video (1 min 48 sec)
ronncat is offline Find More Posts by ronncat
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:17 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Sep 2001
1,118 Posts
The gimbal looks impresive. I think it is something i can build with some plans and a hardware psck. Could you let us know what hardware is used? Looks like some heli parts and some custom mashined.
Well done!

How nice i have to ask for the plans ;-)
tigar is offline Find More Posts by tigar
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Aug 2011
62 Posts
@ tigar Once I have the gimbal working to my satisfaction, I'll post some more pictures and drawings for the parts that I machined. However... Won't happen until I get back from my trip in a few weeks. I think that a resourceful individual with decent hand skills and a few tools could duplicate my design.

The electronics, bearings, hardware, pulleys and belts were purchased. I machined the rest. You could substitute off the shelf pieces for some of the parts, it was just a challenge for me to try to fabricate them myself.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:00 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Sep 2001
1,118 Posts
Thanks. I will start collecting the hardware. Hopefully until you are ready to post some plans I will have all the needed stuff.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:09 AM
The Engineer
Singapore
Joined Dec 2009
620 Posts
Hi Roncat, whats the dia of the base plate holding all the 830mm MtM booms? Wuld love to build a gimbal like yours too. Apprc if you can share later.. Thx!

DT
prodriverex is offline Find More Posts by prodriverex
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gimball Drone
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Aug 2011
62 Posts
Hi DT,

The baseplate is 11.5" in diameter... roughly 29.2 cm
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:04 PM
The Engineer
Singapore
Joined Dec 2009
620 Posts
Thank you. It look smaller from pic..
prodriverex is offline Find More Posts by prodriverex
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gimball Drone
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:26 AM
Joined Aug 2011
62 Posts
Got back from my trip last week, so I thought I should spend some time on my gimbal project and resurrect this ol' thread...

Before I left on my vacation, I was kinda bummed that my gimbal wasn't working just so. I decided that when I got back, I would just pop for a Radian and some Freefly servos and I would be done. When I got back home, the Radians and Freefly servos were out of stock, and the OP cc3d that I was lucky enough to buy was waiting for me.

I decided to have a go at the ultrafast Savox servos that I had appropriated. These were a bear to convert to external pots. I had to desolder the two boards, unscrew the pot and then resolder the boards with new header pins. When I was done, the servo ran very rough in one direction, but fine in the other. Figuring it was a lousy solder job, I took it apart and... %*&0@/. Needless to say, I now have a spare parts collection from what was a brand new $120 servo. I have another one brand new sealed if anyone is interested

Well, screw that. I turned my attention to the gimbal controller. I had had no luck with my original OPCC board, but I loaded up Cossacs' latest gimbal software onto the cc3d and did some preliminary tuning. The results seem pretty good...much better that the Naza is capable of. I'm still using servos that are a little slow (.14 secs/60 degrees at 7.4V) and these are additionally reduced 1:2.5 by the belt. I ordered some more Savox servos that are .05 secs/60 degrees. I'll try to modify these puppies without destroying them and see how they do.

Anyhow, had to devise a mount/case for the cc3d. Here is what I came up with.
Name: DSC03716.jpg
Views: 92
Size: 206.2 KB
Description: Name: DSC03717.jpg
Views: 96
Size: 162.4 KB
Description: Name: DSC03718.jpg
Views: 87
Size: 139.1 KB
Description:

Here it is mounted on the gimbal.
Name: DSC03721.jpg
Views: 166
Size: 145.2 KB
Description:

And then the gimbal on the hex.
Name: DSC03722.jpg
Views: 180
Size: 270.0 KB
Description:

Note that I also changed the stock gopro lens for one that removes the fish eye. Had to modify my camera mount to be able to fit the lens in and mount a filter(s) as needed.
Name: DSC03731.jpg
Views: 134
Size: 183.3 KB
Description:

As soon as I have things working to my satisfaction, I'll post some videos and drawings/ files for the gimbal. Have had a number of people pm me for these. Just need to find the time. I also want to scale this up so I can use it for my Nex5 or Nex7.

One last thing... I realize that no matter how good a gimbal is, if the pilot sucks, the video probably will as well. So when I do post, please go easy on me. I spend more time designing than flying.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:21 AM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,117 Posts
I create a similar project of design and cut my frame but you're looks way better lol
TheFernMan is offline Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:35 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Sep 2001
1,118 Posts
Welcome back.
You say that opcc board is not up to the task for gimbal controller even with the dedicated firmware? I was about to use it to replace my naza. ...
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:51 AM
Joined Aug 2011
62 Posts
Sorry if I wasn't clear. Originally I tried to setup my opcc board with Cossacs original gimbal software release. I didn't have much success due to my own lameness and gave up

When my cc3d came, I loaded up Cossacs latest software release and I now have a gimbal that works much better than the Naza is capable of. I like the fact that you can tune all of the parameters as opposed to just a couple of things with the Naza. My servo response is MUCH quicker with the cc3d, and early test videos are watchable without taking motion sickness pills.(Not to forget my lack of piloting skills). I need to do further tuning and am in the process of replacing my servos with faster ones.

I definitely recommend using an Open Pilot cc as a gimbal controller over the Naza. I'm sure that either the cc3d or the opcc is more than capable. Just need to spend a little time to get things right
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:55 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Sep 2001
1,118 Posts
Thanks. Regarding the servos I have the mks bls950 on my ag550 gimbal with ext pot and work fine.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Aug 2011
62 Posts
Spent today swapping out the Hitec servos for quicker Savox ones. I did the external potentiometer mods on both. Then I redid the settings in the Open Pilot GCS for the cc3d.

Decided it was time to try to post a video of my progress, so I strapped on the GoPro and off I went. I decided to weave a little spider web thingy on the front of the hex to show the multis orientation during fight. Good idea..bad execution. Took a quick flight and then looked at the video. Whose stupid idea was it to tie a bunch of strings everywhere??? Problem was it was now too dark to try another flight, so bear with me and ignore the mess.

I am currently uploading the video to Vimeo. There are two sections. The first just shows some slow flight and panning and the second half shows some aggresive movement to see how the gimbal would react. I would appreciate any feedback from those with experience in what parameters I should try to adjust to get a better result. I am not unhappy with what I am seeing, but I know there is a lot of improvement that can be made. I'm just too much of a newbie at this to be able to figure it out.

One thing...the video definitely looks smoother with the volume muted. Wonder if that's why everyone always dubs music over their flight videos? I'll edit this post and add the video when it's done converting
gimbal servo test with savox servos and cc3d (2 min 47 sec)
Last edited by ronncat; Nov 26, 2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: add video