SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 03, 2012, 06:06 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2008
20 Posts
If that is the case I can directly connect those batteries, which on my 10S adapters use the GP adapter, directly into the MPA. That would cinch it for me to go with the MPA then and get the adapter for the HXT to the deans on the MPA.

I have other batteries with other connectors but will continue to use the 10S or 4S for those.

So it looks like the PL6 with the MPA will work after with just the charge lead adapters.

Thanks everydayflyer, Gregor99, and Tim.

Keith
dusty14 is offline Find More Posts by dusty14
Last edited by dusty14; Mar 11, 2012 at 05:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:51 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
Understand that the PL6 cannot balance charge with balance connectors only, but when the discharge leads are connected, does it actually charge through the balance connectors to achieve quicker balance?
Silvercomet is offline Find More Posts by Silvercomet
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:02 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvercomet View Post
Understand that the PL6 cannot balance charge with balance connectors only, but when the discharge leads are connected, does it actually charge through the balance connectors to achieve quicker balance?
Quicker balance in FMA chargers has always been accomplished by using a high current bypass, up to 1 amp on most of their chargers. Most other non-FMA chargers have only 100ma to 250ma of bypass.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:31 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,662 Posts
Quote:
does it actually charge through the balance connectors to achieve quicker balance?
It charges thru the main power leads and balances using the balancing leads and bleeding up to 1A per cell. FMA uses the term by pass which is a bit confusing to some,

If battery is being charged at 3A and a cell is being balanced (by pass) at 50% then that cell is having 500 mA drained from it to bring it in balance with the others which is reallty keeping it from gettimg more ahead of the other cells. The cell(s) with the least capacity charge up the fastest and thus need holding back.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:57 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
Is this balancing mechanism therefore different from that used on the PL8?
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:57 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,662 Posts
No.

If you are asking why PL8 can do a balancing leads only charge / balance while PL6 can not then it is because in FMA node mode PL8 can charge thru the two outside balancing leads which in fact are in parallel with the packs main leads.

I have posted numerious times that any charger can in fact do a balancing leads only charge it only requires the proper harness.

2S UMX Micro charging / balancing harness which will work with any balancing charger.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...8&d=1326398282
Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 17, 2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:01 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,161 Posts
Balancing mechanism, no. Circuitry between the balance connector and the charge leads output, yes. This does not affect either charger's ability to balance. But it does allow the Powerlab8 to charge through the balance port, or the charge leads separately. When charging through the balance leads, the current comes through the positive and negative wires on the balance port. The center wires are used to shunt current, not charge each cell individually.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:56 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
Got it. Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:29 PM
Colorado Springs, CO.
Joined Mar 2009
327 Posts
Is it possible to reduce a 1S battery that's fully charged to a storage charge? If so, how is it done?
Scarface26 is offline Find More Posts by Scarface26
Old Mar 18, 2012, 01:37 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface26 View Post
Is it possible to reduce a 1S battery that's fully charged to a storage charge? If so, how is it done?
You need the same cable that you would use for charging a 1s cell. Then use the storage charge preset and be sure set the discharge current low enough that it doesn't hurt those small batteries. For my mCPX batteries I use 1 amp max.

The charge/discharge cable will need to be connected to the balance port as well as the charge/discharge port on the charger. I don't believe these available off the shelf, but its easy enough to make one using a 1s parallel cable and the FMA 9 pin pigtail.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:27 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface26 View Post
Edit the preset you use to charge. Go to the Discharge tab and set the Discharge Voltage to 3.85. Set the Discharge Amps for your battery. I would use a value equal to about 5C.

Use the same cable you use to charge.

When you start select Discharge.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:57 PM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Jul 2011
36 Posts
Generic Faster Charge and parallel setup

Howard:

I've noticed that in the PL6 software, the Generic Faster Charge preset doesn't up the voltage when you select to run two or more packs in parallel. This doesn't seem to be the case for Generic Acurate or Generic High Power presets - is this a design feature, a limitation or a bug?

Thanks,
Chris
Exponential is offline Find More Posts by Exponential
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:26 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exponential View Post
Howard:

I've noticed that in the PL6 software, the Generic Faster Charge preset doesn't up the voltage when you select to run two or more packs in parallel. This doesn't seem to be the case for Generic Acurate or Generic High Power presets - is this a design feature, a limitation or a bug?

Thanks,
Chris
Would you please elaborate a bit?
Which voltage, cell, pack, supply?
Did you mean current?
Running from CCS?
Which firmware version?
Factory presets or custom?
And any other information which might be helpful, screen shots.

I just ran charges using two Zippy 3S 2200 20C packs via CCS. Charge amps set to 4.4A. Charger put out 8.8A.
Factory presets. Firmware V1.07. Generic Accurate Charge and Generic Faster Charge. I found no significant differences.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Last edited by ggcrandall1; Mar 31, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:36 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,662 Posts
Quote:
I've noticed that in the PL6 software, the Generic Faster Charge preset doesn't up the voltage when you select to run two or more packs in parallel.
Please be more careful and accurate when posting about LiPoly charging.

LiPoly chargers do not change up the voltage for parallel charging period. The charge function that changes with parallel charging is rate ( A ---- mA) current flow not voltage .

A single 3S 2200 mAh charged at 1C is a charge rate of 2.2A

2 in parallel total 4.4Ah and thus 1C is 4.4A

They both are 11.1 V charge to 12.6V 3S LiPolys whic Power Labs and other FMA chargers determin and set cell count number by means of balancing leads readings.

Preset #1 uses a end Charge when CC rate equalys C/20 ( set at 2.2A charge ends when Curent drops to 0.11A) and
Preset # 2 uses a end Charge when CC rate equals C/10.(set at 2.2A charge ends when Current drops to 0.22A)

Presets 1 and 2 are max. of 10A to help prevent a new users from charging a 300 mAh LiPOly at 30 Amps. thinking that would be a 10C charge rate .

Preset #3 lets one charge at up to 40Amps and should be used only when really necessary and with great caution.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Mar 31, 2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:25 PM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Jul 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Please be more careful and accurate when posting about LiPoly charging.

LiPoly chargers do not change up the voltage for parallel charging period. The charge function that changes with parallel charging is rate ( A ---- mA) current flow not voltage...
Charles, Glen:

Thanks for pointing out that I was not careful in stating the circumstances correctly; I also appreciate the well though-out explanation. I now understand that my confusion stems from the difference between the way presets 1 and 2 are set up vs. preset 3. As you point out, 1 and 2 have current stated in C units which would not change numerically as more packs are added to the parallel board, while preset 3 is stated in amps, which would change numerically as packs were added. So, there's no issue with the PL6; just me...

Thanks,
Chris
Exponential is offline Find More Posts by Exponential
Last edited by Exponential; Apr 01, 2012 at 08:57 PM.