SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 25, 2010, 07:49 AM
England
Joined Jul 2003
67 Posts
Discussion
WOT 4 Foam-E

Anybody got one yet? What's it like? I believe they are in the shops now.
Tiffie is offline Find More Posts by Tiffie
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2010, 02:21 AM
Got the RC bug ;)
Tenby West Wales U.K
Joined Jan 2010
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffie View Post
Anybody got one yet? What's it like? I believe they are in the shops now.

Picking up my wot4 today.

Will let ya all know.

Andy
PandaDixie is offline Find More Posts by PandaDixie
Old Aug 27, 2010, 03:11 AM
Somerset, England
Joined Aug 2003
281 Posts
I pre-ordered my WOt4 Foam-e back in Feb, it arrived yesterday ! The Wot4 has been my all time fave RC plane since I was a nipper, but I hated building - my mum got me a 2nd hand white one for Christmas when I was about 13, which I promptly crashed on first flight (CofG was shocking it had a Merco .61, but as previous owner had a 4 stroke engine, so had lead in the tail - I didn't check), a few years later I had another one with 46 engine which flew really nicely, but I dropped out of RC for a few years doing other things. I now fly at an electric only club and mainly fly foamies as they are robust and quick to throw together, so the Wot4 foam-e is absolutely perfect for me, I pre-ordered it the day I heard about it !

First impressions are excellent, the design is very clever, it is glueless, so tail assembly all slots together very tightly and secures with a single machine screw which locks it together - if spares are available, you could swap the tail at the field in about 60 seconds !! (Sadly Ripmax spares prices are a bit crazy - 9.99 each for fin and hor stab, wing is 63.50 !!)

Stickers took longest part of build as expected, they are proper vinyl pre-cut on sheet, so were amazingly easy to get on smoothly with no wrinkles - I am pretty slapdash throwing planes together, and even I managed to get it together neatly.

The fuz is incredibly rigid, and the model is much heavier/more solid than a typical foamie, I think it will fly very nicely and much more like a 'proper' plane.

The undercarriage is very meaty, so should cope fine with rough ground/grass take offs.

I ran it up on bench with current meter and it draws 26Amps at full beans (3S 2200mah lipo), which seems fine for its 30A esc, the prop is 11x8 and pretty bendy, so not sure if a stiffer prop would load up more ?

An observation is the receiver area suits a top pin receiver best, I will have to pinch an AR500 from another plane, as the AR6110e I had for this won't easily fit, due to shape/space in the foam for receiver and being able to plug/unplug the aileron in when attaching wing. Also the aileron servo wires have been joined to a single servo plug - not an issue for most people, but if you want to use separate channels for aileron differential or flap mixing you will have to snip and add a plug.

My only concern was the battery hatch/mounting, I quickly test fitted a 3S 2200 lipo to check esc/motor OK, and wasn't sure how best to slide it in (on end or flat), there is a 'hook' in the foam battery hatch moulding, which seems to be to hold battery tightly in place - this does work but keeping battery wire out of the way is slightly awkward. Having messed around with this, it actually works fine, I push battery in flat wire end first and push it up against top of the battery area - the hatch then holds it in place very snugly. CofG is fine.

I test flew Wot4 on Monday afternoon, and it flew really nicely, a few clicks of trim only required, and even with much more control throw than the manual (which seemed very conservative), it flew brilliantly. Performance on 3S 2200 mah lipo was ample, vertical climbs no problem at all, and its beautifully quiet flying around, so I am very pleased with it.
jblackmore is online now Find More Posts by jblackmore
Last edited by jblackmore; Aug 31, 2010 at 04:52 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 02:41 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,600 Posts
Hello,

Is this an EPO foam airframe, or EPS? May I ask what the price was?

Thanks!

Mickydee
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Aug 27, 2010, 02:45 PM
Somerset, England
Joined Aug 2003
281 Posts
Its EPO foam, which I gather is fine to repair with Cyano.

RRP is 129.99, I paid 123.50 and got free postage buying two (split with a friend).

I checked the ripmax website for spares prices, and chuckled - the quick swap tail is 9.99 for hor stab/elevator, 9.99 for tail fin/rudder, the wing is a snip at 63.50 So if you crash its probably worth buying another kit for spares
Old Aug 27, 2010, 04:28 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4 Posts
Wot 4 foam-e

Got my wot 4 the other day after a very long wait.

Good and quick to build.

Weather not on my side though, outing rain delayed the maiden voyage.

Anyway window of opportunity came yesterday afternoo. Wind about 5 to 10 mph. Take off was very quick and smooth, a little trimming needed then time to put it through it's paces. Very responsive in all manouvers. A very stable flyer and well worth the wait.

Took it up again today and still love it. I have been back into the hobby for the last year after a 20 year gap. Converted to foam models and this has to be one of the better ones.

Go on give it a try, you won't be disappointed
Fuzz10 is offline Find More Posts by Fuzz10
Old Aug 30, 2010, 08:40 AM
Maintain Thine Airspeed !
Wiltshire UK
Joined Apr 2010
430 Posts
I am about to order one. Of concern to me was what I read on a UK forum. The poster added two videos of the Wot 4 unboxed, and found the tail wheel and lnkage almost detached from the fuselage.

Of course accidents do happen but he suggests it's a design fault because if the tail gets a bang it may damage the mounting, which would then make the rudder inoperable or at least unable to work properly.

Just wondering if you new owners could comment on the tail linkage??

I will buy one anyway as I guess it can be beefed up if it is a weak point, but I am surprised that Chris Foss with so many years design experience behind him would miss such an obvious weakness, that is, if it is really a weak point?

Then again it's probably Chris Foss first foamie design
Redbrickman is offline Find More Posts by Redbrickman
Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:20 AM
Joined Aug 2010
9 Posts
I bought one of these on Saturday, went home and even as a model builder with 4 or 5 model experience was hard pressed to build it in under 2 hrs, let alone "ready to fly in 30 mins"!!.

That said, it was as simple as connecting the back rudder push rod, 1 screw hold the elevator/rudder in place.

Fit your own radio receiver, im using spektrum 6 channel full range receiver.

1 screw to hold the wing on, 2 screws for the undercarriage and your away.

Went straight out, and on the advice of the model shop flew it on a 4C 14.8v lipo pack. WOW what performance.... power to weight over 1:1 straight up..

Oh look and a nice red arrows smoke effect, no wait thats not good.

Somehow managed to get it into a shallow glide before lossing all control, and it made a into wind touchdown.

Ran over and pulled the batteries to find the inside of the battery ESC compartment, black, melted and bits of a red hot ESC falling out....

Back to the shop to tell them what happened, and swapped for model number 2.

Back to build it again, closer to the 30 mins this time.

This time i did a power on check on the ground for 30 seconds half power, then 1 min full power, monitoring the ESC temp all the way. This time never hot enough that i couldnt touch it.

So out for a flight, and wow it flies superbly, very very responsive at 100% throws, and very pleasent at 50% on the dual rates.

Im going to use this as my first FPV platform now i have EagleTree pro system on route to me with a nice camera and 900mhz tx/rx set up.

Worth 129.00 , i think so but then this is my first foamie.
i-dru is offline Find More Posts by i-dru
Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:38 AM
Wiltshire UK
Joined Apr 2010
430 Posts
Well I decided to order as I don't expect stocks to last too long. I have ordered a 11.1v 2200mah Lipo 25c, and a AR6200 to match my Dx61, as the shop offered free postage

I am not in a big hurry to fly it as I need to get more flying time on my number one model, the Radian, before I dare put the Wot 4 on the runway. Having said that my buddy will no doubt take it on a test flight and maybe I'll have a little go on the buddy lead

I-dru I wonder if you are in UK as I think the 900 Mhz link is not legal here. It might be worth checking out first, because I think 900 Mhz is used for mobile phones, and I seem to recall that the mobile phone towers can put out 100 watts, which if anywhere near your model might cause a crash.

I'm no expert on FPV though, and maybe you already checked that out.
Last edited by Redbrickman; Aug 30, 2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 01:34 PM
Somerset, England
Joined Aug 2003
281 Posts
Managed to maiden my Wot4 Foam-E today, it flies brilliantly on 3 cell 2200 pack, pushing lipo into the battery bay wire first, it fits in snugly, and the battery hatch holds it up against the top of the battery hatch very neatly.

First flight was uneventful, a bit of trim, but otherwise it flew fine, so I'm very pleased with it.

AR6200 is overkill and not sure where you will easily mount the 2nd receiver, as there isn't much space, in the foam receiver area, you'll probably have to feed wire down to battery bay for 2nd receiver and try to fit it in there somehow, the AR500 fits perfectly, and is cheaper, so probably a better bet.
Last edited by jblackmore; Aug 31, 2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 05:36 PM
Wiltshire UK
Joined Apr 2010
430 Posts
Sounds like it flew really well.

Reason why I bought the 6200 and not the 500, was the chance to buy the 6200 for only 6.00 more. A six channel for that small difference was worth it, I think.

I am hoping it won't be too difficult to fit as the second receiver is tiny and I fitted one easily into my Radian glider.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:04 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,600 Posts
Hi,

Any idea if these are going to be available in the United States?

Mickydee
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:34 AM
England
Joined Jul 2003
67 Posts
Just read I-dru's post. Don't think it was designed for 4S (just checked the Ripmax website info) so I guess that's why it cooked. Bit of a bum steer by the model shop there!!

Looking good so far. I think I may have to invest!!!
Old Aug 31, 2010, 08:17 AM
England
Joined Jul 2003
67 Posts
The Ripmax website has no picture but says that the spare part wing price is 'w/servos'.

I have a bit of knowledge about injection moulding foam that may go some way to explaining the spares prices. The moulding tool is probably one tool, or at best two. You can't just mould a tailplane or fin on its own, you have to mould a set. Some parts sell better than others so there will be a lot of bits to scrap. I guess that scrappage has to be built into the pricing. I know from my motor trade experience that the sum of the spare parts is always way more than the complete product. I think that is the same with all spare parts for just about anything. I could be wrong but it makes sense.

I checked on a couple of other spare parts. The fuselage is 29.99 (w/o servos) and the cowling 4.99. Doesn't seem too bad to me. Might seem a lot for a foam fuselage but maybe there is some structure inside. I will know when I get mine!
Old Aug 31, 2010, 09:06 AM
Somerset, England
Joined Aug 2003
281 Posts
Personally I'd never spend over 50% replacement price on a repair, so effectively if you damage the wing beyond repair, you would write off the model, and either replace the whole model, or buy something else.

List I saw only showed the wing listed with servo's, not without - fuselage was available either way.

Hopefully won't be an issue, as EPO is pretty tough, and can be repaired with CA.

Re question above about rudder mounting, my wot4 was perfect, and the design is very clever, the hinge/wheel is robust plastic, and foam rudder slots into this I'd say it was just a manufacturing fault - may even be just dislodged and can be repaired.

All foam parts have internal moulded plastic/carbon for rigidity, so its much more robust than other foam planes I've had, also glueless assembly is super neat and means you could even dismantle it easily if required for any reason (ie resale/shipping, you could very easily put it back into its original box - first foam plane I've had that was an option for).
Last edited by jblackmore; Aug 31, 2010 at 09:19 AM.