Old Apr 11, 2010, 02:00 PM
Fly 4 Fun
Potchefstroom, South Africa
Joined May 2002
84 Posts
Discussion
New EPO Art-Tech Alphajet EDF

Hi Guys,

I've been flying a sample of this new EDF from Art-tech for the past few weeks and I have to say I'm very impressed. It is easy to launch, even at a 45 degree angle. It is pretty fast, dopplered at 84mph, and I'm sure with a bit of practice it will get to 90.

Assembly is a piece of cake, no more than 10 minutes, and the electronics have been impressive so far, with the exception of one aileron servo that stripped early on.

This is my first EDF, and I'm hooked.

Christie
www.flyfun.co.za

Please note: My shop sells Art-Tech products.
Christie is offline Find More Posts by Christie
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2010, 02:03 PM
Fly 4 Fun
Joined May 2002
84 Posts
Video

Art-tech Alphajet edf.wmv (1 min 18 sec)

and

RC Alphajet (1 min 33 sec)

Enjoy!
Old Apr 11, 2010, 04:38 PM
Portugal, Lisboa, Sintra
Joined Feb 2010
70 Posts
take a look at this 90mm version.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207094
Infante is offline Find More Posts by Infante
Old Jun 13, 2010, 03:30 PM
Joined Feb 2008
23 Posts
Weight?

I've just bought one of these and found the weight to be 700g. The cg was about two inches too far forward and needed 50g of lead in the back.

Has anyone else had this issue?
kevpem is offline Find More Posts by kevpem
Old Jun 13, 2010, 04:28 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Joined Nov 2006
971 Posts
kevpem,
I don't have one yet but did it fly better with 50g weight in the back?

I saw another video of this cool jet by Nitroplanes.com. Enjoy.
New Arttech Alpha Jet Brushless EDF Review (7 min 8 sec)
anthodenn is offline Find More Posts by anthodenn
Old Jun 13, 2010, 06:30 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2010
797 Posts
It is on sale right now for fathers day. Too bad it is only RTF. I wouldn't mind RVR ready with that stock fan and motor combo.
jdlilfan is online now Find More Posts by jdlilfan
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:56 PM
Joined Feb 2008
23 Posts
anthodenn,
Not sure yet! The wind here hasn't dropped below 20kts so I'm loath to test it in high winds.

With the forward cg I couldn't get it to loop and in level flight it had this strange wiggle of the tail centred around the nose....so definitely a forwad cg.

I'll let you know my results.

Not sure about the total weight now though, in the manual it suggets mid 500g, mine is 200g heavier!
Old Jun 17, 2010, 03:43 AM
Joined Feb 2008
23 Posts
Another question! The Alpha has got an Art-Tech 40Amp ESC. Does anyone know whether it is programmable?

It seems to make an extra two beeps when I switch at full throttle, then two beeps when closing the throttle before it arms. So I suspect this is setting the end-points for the throttle.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 09:17 AM
Joined Jul 2009
423 Posts
Art-Tech?sounds good.
Cici528 is offline Find More Posts by Cici528
Old Jun 19, 2010, 04:26 AM
Joined Feb 2008
23 Posts
CiCi Art tech as far as I know is another chinese manufacturer. The quality is surprisingly good, however I have had to resolder the motor and esc bullet connectors.

After doing that I finally got to fly it with the cg in the correct place. Its a great little flyer, stable...goes where you point it. Not very fast though, but scoots about the sky nicely on just over half throttle.

Hand launches are easy, needing just a short level run after launch to pick up speed.

Landing needs some space, the speed does not bleed off quickly and it just keeps flying! Maybe I need some more practice
Old Jun 20, 2010, 02:51 AM
Joined Jun 2006
48 Posts
centre of gravity

I've recently purchased this jet and was very impressed with the build quality, its a perfect jet for my flying field as it should handle the rough surface with ease. However i am also struggling with the COG on just 3 cells. Its nose heavy and i am very reluctant to put ballast weight in the rear. I was also hoping that it would take 4s with some minor surgery but it seems the COG will be a big problem. How many other people finding same problem on 3s and is the only solution adding ballast?
UK Bandit is offline Find More Posts by UK Bandit
Old Jun 20, 2010, 07:52 AM
Joined Feb 2008
23 Posts
Hi UK Bandit, I tried to think of a way to move the CG back but there is not enough foam at the back of the battery tray to cut out to move the battery back.

I've installed a server in the tail fin to add rudder control, and moved the esc back as far as it will go in the wing. Also added a small hole in the top of the wing panel allowing air to flow into the esc compartment as mine was getting hot.

The only solution I had to the CG problem was to add 50g of lead into the tail compartment where the receiver sits
Old Jun 21, 2010, 03:24 AM
Fly 4 Fun
Joined May 2002
84 Posts
Centre of Gravity

What exactly is the C.G. issue some guys seem to have? My setup is stock standard, and mine flies great. Loops from level flight and flies inverted with only a bit of down. Mine realy scoots along too. Maybe just personal preference? On the other hand, I've also experienced the weird tail waggle at certain angles and speeds, but it tends to come and go. On some flights I don't get it at all, then the next flight it's back.

Great to hear flight reports on this jet, for a while there I thought nobody else would buy one!

Regards
Christie
www.flyfun.co.za
Old Jun 21, 2010, 07:45 AM
Joined Feb 2008
23 Posts
Christie, can you tell us what the measurement for your CG is? The manual recommends 450-470mm measured from the nose if I remember correctly.

My tail waggle thing has gone completely now that the CG is in the correct location. But lower thrust to weight ratio now so not so good in the verticals.

Does anyone know what motor is in this? If so what a good upgrade would be? (Preferably using the same ESC.)
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:23 AM
Joined Sep 2007
259 Posts
Re the forward CG
is the battery going in as shown here on the art tech website ?
Synergy1 is offline Find More Posts by Synergy1