Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:44 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger1589 View Post
Great fun there! I wanted to use the UM t-28 stuff on the Rubber powered MRC Ryan STA (24" span) but they've been discontinued.

Nick
My best flying buddy recently gifted me with the vintage MRC foam Ryan STA kit...it is currently on the bench. Converting it to either AR6400 radio gear and the power plant from the uM P-51, or discrete components (2.5-3.5 gram servos, 2 gram RX and a 10 gram brushless motor.

The old but very, very nice MRC foam scale kits (were designed for either rubber power, or simple R/C with a glow .020) do show up from time to time on Ebay. The one he gave me came from an ad on the MECOA newsletter (model engine collectors, but some kits do show up.)
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Feb 06, 2012, 07:14 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
My best flying buddy recently gifted me with the vintage MRC foam Ryan STA kit...it is currently on the bench. Converting it to either AR6400 radio gear and the power plant from the uM P-51, or discrete components (2.5-3.5 gram servos, 2 gram RX and a 10 gram brushless motor.

The old but very, very nice MRC foam scale kits (were designed for either rubber power, or simple R/C with a glow .020) do show up from time to time on Ebay. The one he gave me came from an ad on the MECOA newsletter (model engine collectors, but some kits do show up.)
I have two of these, one I bought back in the early 80s while working in a hobby shop and one I found in my Fathers barn after he past. One is flying on a 10 gram motor and the other is still in the box. They make a sweet flying 3 channel and look very very cool in the air. The second one may go 4 channel with the umx gear one of these days.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Feb 06, 2012, 12:19 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
2 more grams and you could have flaps too!

My sig ryan had flaps and it was a lot of fun dragging down final.
the question is, would the extra weight increase the landing speed more than the flaps would subtract...

Nick
taildragger1589 is online now Find More Posts by taildragger1589
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bitty Stampe
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:53 AM
Wingnutz
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined May 2009
271 Posts
STOL? Not yet!

Looking forward to seeing the Ryan! Please post when it's done!
Well, maidened (sort of) my AR6400/4Site organed Storch (post 2175) Sunday.
Unlike the full size Storch my model is not yet STOL. In fact it wouldn't even LTOL (LOL).
Early to the gym to avoid air traffic, third on the floor, throttle up...tail up, up elevator...more throttle...more up elevator......tail goes down, plane does not lift!
Instead, it scurries around the gym floor like it's looking for wayward rodents that might inhabit the school gym. Seemed to be going as fast as my other indoor slow flyers, but refused to lift.
Wing and horizontal stab incidence angle looked okay but they are still on my suspect list. (I've already set the wing at a more aggressive AofA) Number two on my suspect list are the full length wing slots which I attempted to model from the plans I used. Does anybody have experience with slots on micro models?
Cheers,
Bill
Bill Quantock is offline Find More Posts by Bill Quantock
Old Feb 07, 2012, 12:13 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,950 Posts
A friend did extensive work with leading edge slats, I think that's close, but his were on a .45 size sport plane, high wing, and were fixed about 3/4 inch above and forward of the LE of the wing. They were also slightly curved. They seemed to give more lift, but it would have been nice to eliminate them for other modes of flight.

I think yours will flatten out when the flaps are retracted, right?

However if it is a power problem, I learned from one of these sites how to measure thrust by hanging the plane nose down on a digital fish scale. You read the weight, then zero it, then firewall the throttle, and read again.
dbacon is offline Find More Posts by dbacon
Old Feb 07, 2012, 12:59 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
In progress pics of a 20 inch Cessna T-50 .. The model is a LadnDad paper model .. not the best work they have done .. this took 2 days of fixing the paper model plans in adobe illustrator just to start on the foam ... I will probably use a pair of P-51 motors and well of course the AR6400
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Feb 07, 2012, 02:56 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,950 Posts
Oh my, raising the bar again. By the time I get to participate, the only thing that will look good by comparison, is if I got a shrinking machine and shrank a real one!
dbacon is offline Find More Posts by dbacon
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:11 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon View Post
However if it is a power problem, I learned from one of these sites how to measure thrust by hanging the plane nose down on a digital fish scale. You read the weight, then zero it, then firewall the throttle, and read again.
Good idea thanks

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:40 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacon View Post
Oh my, raising the bar again. By the time I get to participate, the only thing that will look good by comparison, is if I got a shrinking machine and shrank a real one!
Problem is i have many started and few finished ..i cant help but start a new one .. i think i am a glutten for punishment lol
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:45 PM
-=BS=-
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Jul 2009
1,161 Posts
Bah! I can't even find a local source for bluecore....
BlazingStar is offline Find More Posts by BlazingStar
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:51 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStar View Post

Finding the old Double sided Bluecor is almost impossible... i have had this bundle for close to a year.. im sweating the time i finish this bundle..
Old Feb 07, 2012, 06:13 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
4,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStar View Post
I just drove to lowes and picked some up. I think we're talking about the same stuff...It was $11 for a 4x8x1/2" sheet.
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag