HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2005, 11:57 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2005
545 Posts
Oops.. I broke my Twist in half today.

Yep, I was flying cocky, low and fast.. I flew it into the ground trying to avoid a steel soccer goal. Oh well, I guess it happens to all of us eventually.

The wing popped off by design and didn't get a scratch. The only major damage is the fuse snapped right behind the canopy. I understand this is a common weak point in the Twist.

I've already epoxied it back together at the break. I'm just wondering if anyone has any repair tips for more strength because I don't trust epoxy alone. I'm thinking of screwing in some aluminum plates at the weak spots, behind the wing and canopy. Is fiberglass a good option? Adding an ounce or two isn't going to kill me. I need a bit more aft weight anyway.

Thanks.
tridim is offline Find More Posts by tridim
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2005, 07:43 AM
BAKO
Tbilisi, Georgia
Joined Jul 2004
772 Posts
u need to take 3mm balsa sheet and use some CA to put this sheet on fuselage(where it was damaged) from inside. this helps. I made such thing and this place becames more strong, that other fuselage plzce. no need to use epoxy.
Bako is offline Find More Posts by Bako
Old Jun 07, 2005, 04:45 AM
Romania, Constantza
Joined Feb 2005
43 Posts
Bako is right.
I did this with an electric glider in which I snaped the whole front end thet comes before the leading edge of the wing.I used 1mm ply to fix it.
Eventually, if the fix isn't strong enough, you could ad someting under the airframe where it broke.You would get someting looking like an "U".
Tomcat_CT is offline Find More Posts by Tomcat_CT
Old Jun 07, 2005, 01:47 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2005
545 Posts
The reason I'm thinking of using aluminum is because the joints in question are butt joints. Simply two balsa sheet parts joined at the edges.. The only thing holding it together is a bead of glue (used to be hot glue, now epoxy). It seems really weak to me, and is not really span-able by wood reinforcements because the joints are at an angle. I can certainly beef up the normal joints with balsa gussets, but not the butt joints.
Old Jun 07, 2005, 01:59 PM
BAKO
Tbilisi, Georgia
Joined Jul 2004
772 Posts
what about fiberglass? maby it's best solution?
Bako is offline Find More Posts by Bako
Old Jun 07, 2005, 04:14 PM
ElectriGlo Pilot
Ashburn, Virginia, United States
Joined Dec 2003
878 Posts
When I ripped out my landing gear on a deadstick, I just fit the parts back after peeling off the covering around the wound. I then put on some 20min finishing epoxy (the runny stuff) over everything and laid some fiberglass tape (medium weight I think) over it on both sides.. Very strong and not so much weight. I've pancaked it good a few times since and totally bent the LG flat but its held up.
Trogdor is offline Find More Posts by Trogdor
Old Jun 07, 2005, 10:28 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2005
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
When I ripped out my landing gear on a deadstick
I did the same thing a few months ago and made the landing gear mod right afterwards. I've never used fiberglass just because I haven't had the need. I guess I should pick some up and give it a shot.
Old Jun 07, 2005, 11:03 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Use 30 minute epoxy thinned with denatured alcohol. Soak your piece of fiberglas in the epoxy and then apply to the affected area. I have done this
on my U Can Do's main gear (on the inside of the fuse) which would be the greatest load bearing point especially on landings. Aint broke yet.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Jun 08, 2005, 02:00 PM
Joined Jun 2004
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tridim
The reason I'm thinking of using aluminum is because the joints in question are butt joints. Simply two balsa sheet parts joined at the edges.. The only thing holding it together is a bead of glue (used to be hot glue, now epoxy). It seems really weak to me, and is not really span-able by wood reinforcements because the joints are at an angle. I can certainly beef up the normal joints with balsa gussets, but not the butt joints.
They all come with deah certificates the only question is who signs em'
R/C Flier268 is offline Find More Posts by R/C Flier268