SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 02, 2014, 10:27 PM
Hemet, CA
Joined Sep 2002
375 Posts
Discussion
Programming the X-10 and RFU

Hi Jim,
I just got my X-10s and the RFU. I've been playing with them for a couple of hours but not making a lot of progress. My understanding was that by using the XDP.exe program I could program all the features of the X-10. By using my XDP I am able to program the receiver to change the relationship between the Channel number and the output number (which I thought was an X-10 function, not a receiver function) but while in the Receiver programming screen and going to the Servo output screen and I try to reverse one servo output and then updating the eeprom it doesn't work. I have two flap servos on channel 9 on my transmitter that must go in opposite directions. I put transmitter Ch 9 on outputs 9 and 10. Both servos follow the flap signal but I can't make them go in opposite directions by putting a check mark in the reverse column for channel 9 and updating the EEPROM. Both outputs 9 and 10 still go the same way they did before I checked the "Reverse" box for Channel 9.

Am I to understand that the XDP can't program the X-10 itself? The manual says it can be programmed with the Extreme Link module and software (not included). What software?

Also, on the RFU, are the two white portions of the antennas supposed to be the same length? The one I just got has one white portion about 0.150" longer than the other. If they are supposed to be the same length how long should the white portion be?

I'm looking forward to using these in my next plane but I have got to be able to reverse one of the servo outputs.

Thanks,
Art
Art Horne is offline Find More Posts by Art Horne
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2014, 10:37 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
X10 needs the serial link to program it as it doesn't have a radio link to connect.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Jan 02, 2014, 11:11 PM
South Africa, LP, Polokwane
Joined Jan 2012
15 Posts
I have tried reversing with the serial link and the servo does not reverse, I have this problem on elevator pluged in on channel 2 and 9 of the x10+ and channel 9 mapped to 2.
INDIZA is offline Find More Posts by INDIZA
Old Jan 02, 2014, 11:36 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,416 Posts
Is your firmware version for the X10 1.1? Per the X10 thread:

"The v1.1 firmware that I just released today for the X10+ also has the new servo output code. This means that the output ports are totally independent from the channel. So, servo reversing and output are now OUTPUT port based, NOT channel based. The XDP software will show you Channel 1, Channel 2, etc. in the SERVO POSITIONS menu. I will need to change that so it shows OUTPUT1, OUTPUT2, etc. instead of CHANNEL. In the mean time, treat those controls as output ports. The failsafe is still channel based. I chickened out of making it output port based because I didn't want people ripping their rudder racks apart by having 2 out of 3 output ports set to different failsafes!"
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Jan 03, 2014, 10:54 AM
Hemet, CA
Joined Sep 2002
375 Posts
X-10 firmware version

GBR3, where do I find the X-10 Ver 1.1 firmware?

TheKM, can't you program the X-10 plus RFU with the XDP?

Thanks, guys.

Art
Old Jan 03, 2014, 11:49 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,937 Posts
Indiza, are you updating the EEPROM after making the reverse change?

Art, your firmware is the latest.

You MUST have the Serial Link in order to program the X10+. There is no RF on it, and no way to add RF to it.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2014, 02:19 PM
Hemet, CA
Joined Sep 2002
375 Posts
X-10 programming.

Jim, I am able to change the Channel # to Output # with the XDP and the RFU. Is that a change to the RFU coding or is that sent to the X-10 via the serial cable between the RFU and the X-10? The XDP.exe has provisions to change the reversal of individual output channels but they don't work. A previous poster (Indiza) also has the same problem and he is using the Xtreme Link. Can't the RFU provide wireless connectivity between the XDP and the X-10?

Thanks,
Art
P.S. I just replied to your post on the RFU thread.
Last edited by Art Horne; Jan 03, 2014 at 05:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jan 03, 2014, 08:14 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Horne View Post
Jim, I am able to change the Channel # to Output # with the XDP and the RFU. Is that a change to the RFU coding or is that sent to the X-10 via the serial cable between the RFU and the X-10?
That change is to the RFU. The ONLY way to change the X10+ using the XDP software is by using our Serial Link. There is no way to provide a wireless link to the X10+.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2014, 09:07 PM
Hemet, CA
Joined Sep 2002
375 Posts
Servo reversing

Hi Jim,

Ok, I can't change the X-10 servo reversing but if I could change the RFU servo direction that would solve my problem. I tried many times to reverse one servo and, yes, I did save to EEPROM each time. I would change it, save it, then read it back in again and it said it was reversed but it wasn't. Indiza was having the same problem. Did the changes that GBR2 made fix this problem?

How can I tell what version of firmware I am using. When I run XDP.exe it says it is Ver 3.7.

I don't want to belabor the point, I do understand there is no RF link on the X-10. What I'm asking is since the XDP communicates wirelessly with the RFU and the RFU communicates serially over 3 wires to the X-10, couldn't that be a way to wirelessly communicate with the X-10?

Thanks again for all your help.
Art
Old Jan 04, 2014, 12:18 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,937 Posts
It is not physically possible to program the X10+ using the RFU or Nano.

The XDP shows the firmware version in the information about the device (receiver or Tx module).

I will look at the RFU settings.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2014, 12:30 AM
Joined Jan 2012
15 Posts
How do update to version 1.1? I have searched for update and it keeps saying that I already have the latest update but I am on version 1.
Old Jan 04, 2014, 01:19 AM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,416 Posts
If you go to the website and then to download then to XDP software, if you go down the page you will eventually get to where it says Firmware Updates, at the bottom of the list is Updater 4.3. This is what you use to update the firmware in the X10 and other XPS products. Get the X10 into programming mode and hookup up to the Serial link. DO NOT start the XDP software. Instead run the updater file that you have downloaded.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Jan 04, 2014, 01:23 AM
XtremeLink South Africa
East Coast of South Africa
Joined May 2007
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDIZA View Post
How do update to version 1.1? I have searched for update and it keeps saying that I already have the latest update but I am on version 1.
Indiza, my apologies for not replying via email.

To update to Firmware Version 1.1 on the X10 :

1. Download Updater V4.3 from http://xtremepowersystems.net/xdp.php
2. Put the X10 in Programming mode (hold the button and connect to the Serial Link)
3. Run the Updater V4.3. It will change the Firmware Version to 1.1
4. When complete, disconnect, and then again put the X10 into programming mode, and access the functionality via the XDP software

Name: Updater4_3_1.png
Views: 20
Size: 63.3 KB
Description:
mikestark is offline Find More Posts by mikestark
Old Jan 04, 2014, 08:11 AM
Joined Jan 2012
15 Posts
Very easy thank you.