SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:37 AM
Help me pick up the pieces
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2011
120 Posts
Really nice pics & insight to flight charastics guys. I wish they would get some in the US site, so jealous seeing everybody's pics and the vid was just torture.
crockett828 is offline Find More Posts by crockett828
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:17 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett828 View Post
...the vid was just torture.
Here's some more torture .

This is the maiden flight.
Skywing 48" Slick EPP - Maiden Flight in Strong Wind (4 min 45 sec)

The streaming version of the video is only standard definition, so download a copy if you want 720p high def.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:42 AM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
659 Posts
got mine in the mail tonight

it was packaged beautifully. This plane looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. Looks and feels like a balsa with out feeling like i'm going to break it by just looking at it.

Build starts tomorrow, maybe
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:12 AM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
708 Posts
You guys are killin' me with the flying pics and video. I'm going to be shut out again tomorrow....snow storm moving in tonight for all day tomorrow.
I did get my canopy painted though, and it looks sweet in black. Left an 1/8 " line of silver around the edge for trim.
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:14 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,936 Posts
Yep, definitely looks better in black. Well done.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:23 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
Well, I got a chance to fly the Slick and Edge back to back today. Results may be slightly skewed because the Slick was on fast digital Savox 0257 servos, while the Edge had HS-65s in it.

I was really surprised how much the Slick feels like a Slick, and the Edge feels like an Edge. Sounds funny to say it that way... but both being really light wing loading planes at about the same size, I thought they would feel more similar.

As one might expect, with the straight leading edge wing the Edge is more of a sweetheart at slow low 3D. The Slick is better at snapping maneuvers and higher energy flying.

That being said, both of these planes feel like cheating compared to balsa... and they both do everything well. The Edge is probably just a little bit easier overall, but for anybody with just a tiny bit of experience either plane will treat you right.

And the Slick is prettier
Thanks for the flight report, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I didn't just want another plane that flies like the Edge, and I was hoping it would snap and tumble a little better. I'm starting to build mine today. I'm a rather slow builder and tend to make a fair amount of mods for added strength so it takes me a while to finish a plane.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:41 AM
Joined Oct 2012
473 Posts
Well it took a little longer getting here due to the being shipped back to sender for "security Reasons" but it arrived yesterday in perfect condition. I will assemble it today and hopefully get it in the air tomorrow if the weather is good.

I am giving the Solar 654servos a try and have read that some of them are having problems with the motor gear disengaging with the rest of the gear train.
Should I be pulling them apart and checking them or just instal them and go fly?
PlaneButcher is offline Find More Posts by PlaneButcher
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:25 AM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcguy1958 View Post
You guys are killin' me with the flying pics and video. I'm going to be shut out again tomorrow....snow storm moving in tonight for all day tomorrow.
I did get my canopy painted though, and it looks sweet in black. Left an 1/8 " line of silver around the edge for trim.
Looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneButcher View Post
Well it took a little longer getting here due to the being shipped back to sender for "security Reasons" but it arrived yesterday in perfect condition. I will assemble it today and hopefully get it in the air tomorrow if the weather is good.

I am giving the Solar 654servos a try and have read that some of them are having problems with the motor gear disengaging with the rest of the gear train.
Should I be pulling them apart and checking them or just instal them and go fly?
Just have fun and fly them!

Let us know your impression of the Solar servos after the maiden.

Thanks,

-Buzzed

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:37 AM
They will soar on wings..
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneButcher View Post
Definitely take the servo apart and check the motor pinion gear alignment. I had to adjust one servo where the gears didn't even engage. I used a small jewelers screwdriver to raise the pinion.

Ron
rsasaki is offline Find More Posts by rsasaki
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:40 AM
Joined Oct 2012
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsasaki View Post
Definitely take the servo apart and check the motor pinion gear alignment. I had to adjust one servo where the gears didn't even engage. I used a small jewelers screwdriver to raise the pinion.

Ron
Thanks for the info Ron, I will check them all before instal.
PlaneButcher is offline Find More Posts by PlaneButcher
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:48 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,015 Posts
Now that I have started on the kit I'm noticing a lot of small improvements over my gen1 Edge. First thing it seems as though the ply in the sides of the fuse where the wing goes in is a little stronger, the motor box is more rigid and stronger, and the lg mounting bolts are bigger and stronger. This size of lg bolt is about the same size as the #10 bolts I had planned on using so I won't bother changing anything here. I am going to add an extra layer of ply to the bottom of the lg plate like I did on my Edge. I got the wings assembled and all the fuse stuff done and sometime today I'll get the tailfeathers done. Should have it all finished tomorrow before the SuperBowl. I ca'd all the joints in the ply and added some braces for extra beef in a couple key areas and also gorilla glued the lg plate on the inside. Other than these areas I'm using Beacon Foam Tac for all other assemblies, this glue works on both EPP and EPO without damaging the foam. This way I don't have to worry when hinging and it holds very strong. One thing I did on this one that I learned the hard way on my Edge is to soak the ply with ca where the tabs on the cowl hook into the firewall. I didn't do this on my Edge and the ply in some of the slots on the firewall broke out so I had to tape the cowl to the fuse with some blenderm on my Edge. I also seems like they have made this area on the Slick a little stronger than it was on my Edge as well. I really like the way Skywing never stops improving their products both in durability and useability, I'm very sold on their products. Personally I'll continue to buy mine from BestValue or Wattaplane, I don't feel that HobbyKing will give them the kind of input they receive through Feda to help with continuing improvements and because of this Feda will always have my support.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:58 AM
United States, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2012
186 Posts
I've got 12 solar's and never had a issue with any of them I haven't checked any of them either. I guess better safe than sorry.
docbrew is offline Find More Posts by docbrew
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:16 PM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
659 Posts
That black canop looks awesome, def have to do that.

I got the combo, it does not come with a prop
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:21 PM
They will soar on wings..
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbrew View Post
I've got 12 solar's and never had a issue with any of them I haven't checked any of them either. I guess better safe than sorry.
I use about 5 D654 Solar servos and they seem fine as an inexpensive alternative to the HS-65MG, etc. Much easier to pull them apart and inspect though prior to install!

Ron
rsasaki is offline Find More Posts by rsasaki
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:47 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,420 Posts
I've never had a problem with any of my Solars but I did go ahead and do the foam mod to my D654s.

If you remove the bottom cover from the D654, you will see that the cover is molded with a sizeable gap in there. That gap will allow the motor to slide down into the cover causing the pinion to lose contact with the gears. The included piece of foam in there is not thick enough to prevent the motor from sliding down. I cut a small piece of EPP about 1/4 inch square and glued it inside the cover so it pushes against the motor when it's in place. Press the covers down tight when tightening the screws. (gently!, they will strip) According to those who have done it before me, this will fix the problem.

Also, while you're in there you might want to check the three solder joints and add a dab of hot glue around the wiring for some stress relief.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Last edited by SD One.; Feb 02, 2013 at 12:53 PM.