SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:15 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
Question
Need more Speed!.. but dont wanna blow up!!

Can someone please give me some options for how I can add more speed to my motorcycle?

My current setup is below, any advice on what I can upgrade is greatly appreciated... but I would like to keep the same ESC... so if you could please just basically give me the best Motor and Battery that I could run with this ESC I would be grateful.

OK... so here are the specs:

Current Motor
Standard 540 motor that comes stock with most Tamiya models and etc. Has no label so I dont know anything about it.

Current Battery
6 cell 7.2v 2400mah nimh

Current ESC (Ace 8017AC E-Speeder I ESC 145A)

Operating voltage: 5-10 cell NiMH (6-12V)
BEC output voltage: 5V
BEC output current: 1A
Maximum current: 550A
Continuous current: 145A
On resistance: 0.0058ohm
Temperature overload: 120c
Frequency: 50Hz

Thank you in advance!
DeadServo is offline Find More Posts by DeadServo
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:01 AM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
first : lipo cut off will be an issue you will need to time your runs or get a lipo alarm .
what motorcycle do you have ???? ( verry important ) to know .
how fast does it go now ????
how fast do you want it to go ????
how long are your run times ???
how long do you want it to run ????
is it on road or off road ???
lotts of info needed to even begin to help you thanks .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:05 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
Hello RCphreak.. and thanks for the response. I will try to answer your questions below.

what motorcycle do you have ????
Thunder Tiger Fm1e (ducati)

Its all stock.. so I am guessing around 20mph? Just a guess though.

50 - 60mph

how long are your run times ???
It goes for quite a while.. I would say around 10-12 minutes

how long do you want it to run ????
I would be fine with something in the 6min range. (I pick 6 minutes because thats how long my elec Heli goes for and I am cool with that)

is it on road or off road ???
Strictly On Road

Thanks again!
DeadServo is offline Find More Posts by DeadServo
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:20 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
well first off the 50 - 60 mph range unless you have a HUGE area such as a 1/5 scale track will be use less with todays electric motors and batteries you can make it run a hundred if you like but the bike will be undriveable . id say if your board with 20 i would not go for much over 45 as unlike cars the bikes aquire head shake and there are many factors that make or break how fast you are able to control the bike . tires ( making sure they are balanced )
compound ( hard) = less traction (soft) = more traction the surface has alot to do with how fast you can actualy run a bike a prepaired surface ( no dust or sand ) flat with no bumps ( not the gritty worn ashphalt ) smooth is what your looking for you can run them quite hard and fast .
but alot goes into set up in order to achive this as you can throw a 7000 kv motor in it and 3 cells and haul and get your speed BUT with out first being able to drive it at full speed with what you have you will be replacing parts more than you drive it .

lets start with batteries go lipo no lower than 25 c rating and mabe a 4000 mah pack get a lipo alarm or you can judge it as when you notice it start to slow then stop. that alone is worth a few mph and a bigger punch off the line you can play with gearing as you will then have more run time and gear it go a bit faster yet . but the goal is to keep it driveable as its easy to over power and it become no more fun . but with the brushed set up your limited to achive more youll be looking at going brushless its better in the long run if you plan on keeping the bike . report back with how the lipo worked hope this helps .
wayne.
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:18 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,341 Posts
The FM1e is quite limited regarding the gearing... I replaced my chain and sprockets with smaller ones, from KP-designs (you can also check 2wheelhobbies.com for the "microdrive"), which are smoother and give it a bit longer gearing for more top speed.
Then the combo of spur and pinion: The largest pinion that can get in there, I think is 19T, if you keep it at 32DP (the big teeth) and the 79 or 80T spur.
As Wayne said, go for a lipo and see how much faster it goes.
And I also repeat: very well and very straight glued and very balanced tires!
Even if you put a 13.5T brushless motor, you can start doing wheelies, and this is not a good thing, believe me! First to go will be the rear wheel axle! So, you need to be very careful when opening the throttle!
The bike is easy to do wheelies, and its spectacular... but... damage-prone!
(Ask me how i know! )
Finally, a 13.5T motor (around 3000-3100kv) will give you around 35-45mph... I have used an LRP motor on the FM1e, actually the one we raced at the RC Bike Worlds in 2010. That's VERY fast already and quite difficult to handle. Any faster than that you will need a very good hand/eye coordination, as well as a very well setup bike, straight in every dimension, new/clean bearings, nothing binding in the moving parts of the bike, straight-glued tires etc... Oh... and anything faster than 35-45mph... you definitely need a front brake as well...
With a 2S 4000/30C battery, you are looking at around 25+ minutes of duration with a 13.5T motor...
Since you fly, you know how to treat a lipo (don't over-discharge with a brushed system that doesnt have a lipo cut off)
steliosh is online now Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:03 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
662 Posts
..the cheapest Option would be to just buy a 17T Brushed Motor.
The stock gearing is fine for the 17T Motor, and your battery should last ok with it.

Next step would be good Batteries, and then maybe a BL-Combo.
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:20 AM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadServo View Post
Hello RCphreak.. and thanks for the response. I will try to answer your questions below.

what motorcycle do you have ????
Thunder Tiger Fm1e (ducati)

Its all stock.. so I am guessing around 20mph? Just a guess though.

50 - 60mph

Thanks again!
WOW 60mph is VERRY fast, I agree the problem with 60mph is that you HAVE TO SLOW IT DOWN or your just going to have a big-ol-BOOM into something hard.

45 TOPS is a sweet spot because it is "managable" to slow down. You'll see.
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H