HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:38 PM
Go invisible pink unicorn!
United States, OK, Stigler
Joined Oct 2010
192 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King Turnigy nano-tech battery lifespan?

RCG,

I recently purchased a E-Flite Carbon-Z Yak BNF and immediately ordered a 25-50c HK Turnigy nano-tech 3.0ah battery. So far I have put 12 or so flights on both the stock e-flite battery and the nano-tech. I was at first disgusted with the stock e-flite battery as from first flight forward it came back hot and puffy and the nano-tech came back hardly warm at all. That was at first, now 12 flights or so on each battery the blue e-flite battery is consistantly about the same and in retrospect not that terribly hot, just very warm, in comparison to the nano-tech which *now* comes back as hot as a firecracker and so puffy I'm concerned it is going to explode.

Is this normal for nano-tech batteries? I recall I read a long time ago a particular RCG member said his nano-tech batteries were only lasting about 50 flights where as his standard Turnigy batteries were getting better than 150 flights.

Maybe some things are just too good to be true, I am worried the nano-tech line might be just that. I thought I scored gold when I first ran the pack and it came back luke warm and not puffy, now I'm afraid my Yak is going to catch fire in flight from it.

As for the blue E-flite stock 2800mah 30c battery. I just wish it was rated for a higher C charge, the nano-tech is rated for 5c and I charge at about 2.2c.
Ara Tidwell is offline Find More Posts by Ara Tidwell
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:31 PM
RC Addict
Western NY
Joined Jun 2002
1,668 Posts
Sorry but I consider the Nano cells the ones to stay away from. Also make sure you are not over discharging the packs or they wont last no matter what brand you use. How many volts per cell are they after a flight?
Raydee is offline Find More Posts by Raydee
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:40 PM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
557 Posts
I use both regular Turnigy LiPo's and the Nano-tech versions. no problems so far. Like Raydee suggested, check your watts/amp draw. You may need to prop down or look closer at your power combination.
Da Big_G is offline Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:09 PM
Go invisible pink unicorn!
United States, OK, Stigler
Joined Oct 2010
192 Posts
I am yet to hit the E-flite low voltage cutoff so I assume I am safe. I have my timer set for 5-minutes and at that flight time I am well below the rated C capacity.
Ara Tidwell is offline Find More Posts by Ara Tidwell
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:43 PM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ara Tidwell View Post
I am yet to hit the E-flite low voltage cutoff so I assume I am safe. I have my timer set for 5-minutes and at that flight time I am well below the rated C capacity.
You need to check the full throttle amps and/or watts.
Da Big_G is offline Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:04 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Big_G View Post
And look at how many volts are remaining in the cells after the flight.. 3.8V per cell is the best for battery life. 3.5V will kill your pack in no time. (30-40 cycles)
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:07 AM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Big_G View Post
+1
Doesn't have to do at all with overdischarging. You can destroy a battery by drawing too many amps in a few seconds and still the battery will be almost fully charged.

It's good to know how many amps/watts your plane draws: makes you confident on full throttle time plus you can guess different prop options

To measure amps/watts use a watt-meter or an ESC with data-logging (or a friend that has any of two)

If budget is tight, you can roughly proxy these figures by: running the motor at 1/2 throttle for 2 minutes. Charge your battery and note how many Amphours your charger puts back to the battery. Calculate Average Amp draw=Ah*60/2, Watts= Amps*3.7*NoOfBatCells. Repeat the test for higher throttle positions as long as amps/temperature stay in reasonable levels.
dk31 is offline Find More Posts by dk31
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:21 PM
3JJ
Finland, Northern Ostrobothnia, Oulu
Joined May 2012
97 Posts
My personal Turnigy packs:

Regular blue Turnigys are working very well. IR is higher that Nanotechs, but packs are well balanced.

Nanotechs have all failed for me. IR of some cells were much lower than blue Turnigys, but packs were not very balanced. Very large cell IR differences in one pack.

I have not tried A-Spec Nanotechs yet. Maybe they are better. I sure hope so.

Can of course be that I had a bad batch of Nanotechs and a good batch of regular Turnigys.
3JJ is offline Find More Posts by 3JJ
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:59 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,377 Posts
I have had no problems with my Nanotechs. As others suggested check how many amps you are drawing, don't run them too low, etc.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:53 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Nanotech and turnigys are great. They ate the only battery that I use.
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:59 AM
3JJ
Finland, Northern Ostrobothnia, Oulu
Joined May 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipoflyer View Post
Nanotech and turnigys are great. They ate the only battery that I use.
How mean of them!
3JJ is offline Find More Posts by 3JJ
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:07 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
yepp, all my nanos are still fine, i sometimes draw 50C in burstes... but i always charge with balancer and never go below 3.8v per cell after flight..
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:33 PM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Oct 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3JJ View Post
How mean of them!
lol
Riddlers is offline Find More Posts by Riddlers
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:13 AM
SlowlyAgingVeryHipOldGuy
Joined May 2008
162 Posts
I have Thunder powers that are 5 years old. No puff, still solid and cells charge at excatly the same cell voltage.

If I had bought T's/Nanos I would have spent more $ over 5 years that I have use TP's
jbrowne is offline Find More Posts by jbrowne
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:03 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrowne View Post
I have Thunder powers that are 5 years old. No puff, still solid and cells charge at excatly the same cell voltage.

If I had bought T's/Nanos I would have spent more $ over 5 years that I have use TP's
Not necessarily true. The reason your batteries have lasted is because you take care of them. If you take care of a nanotech it could last several years too.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver