SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Jun 2009
409 Posts
Discussion
What first plane for 5 years old girl ?

What would be a good first plane for a 5 years old girl ?
I'm thinking something like the Champ or the Hobbico FlyZone Micro Super Cub might work:

http://www.snhobbies.com/product_inf...e1a9a8f8e58fca

However, the above link says " For flyers 14 years of age and older".

What are your recommendations ?
flylowfast is offline Find More Posts by flylowfast
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:44 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,029 Posts
some suggestions: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1715003
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:36 PM
above us only sky
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jan 2006
851 Posts
Your trainer of choice on a buddy box?
Renfield is offline Find More Posts by Renfield
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:43 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Generally for kids that age, we go with free flight models because they tend not to have the motor skills for RC, and will just get frustrated because they can't keep the plane on track. Some kids have the coordination though, so I would put her on a simulator and see if she gets it before venturing into RC. Do not overlook the fun of free flying models. I did that when i was her age.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:06 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Airhogs if anything. Its been said before, but kids that young will crush something like a champ. They don't have the hand-eye coordination either IMO.
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:20 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,697 Posts
Try this one.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3230461
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:35 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx View Post
Very nice!
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:51 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
Airhogs if anything. Its been said before, but kids that young will crush something like a champ. They don't have the hand-eye coordination either IMO.
I hate to say it but Airhogs are waaay overpriced for what they are. I bought a A10 and a F14 Tomcat at a little junk store called "Dirt Cheap" down in Miss. I paid $6 for the F14 and $12 for the A10. The A10 was a waste of $12 but the F14 has been a bit of fun for the money.

Having said that, if $12 for the A10 was a waste of money I really feel sorry for those who paid the $80 retail price. The F14 is definitely worth the $6 but $50 at Target? No way!

The reality of it is I like to fly the F14 for laughs. It's a joke. I wrote about it in my blog back in the spring.

Does it have to be a plane? My son started flying coax helis when he was 5 and then made the transition to planes when he turned 6. The beauty of the micro helis is they can be powerful learning tools to get the basics of the hobby down all year round, any time of day, in your own home. Just learning Tx on first and off last may take months. You don't necessarily need a plane for that.
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:24 AM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
I let my 6 year old son mess around on the sim, I bought him a champ and he does very well, I don't even use a trainer cord.
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:05 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,764 Posts
What first plane for 5 years old girl ?

A chuck glider.

People now seem to buy children 'toys' way beyond what they should really be playing with and learning from. Hand held games machines, even mobile phones. Electric sit in cars, (that they will outgrow in less than 6 months), instead of pedal cars, RC planes instead of simple flying things, chuck gliders, Frisbee, etc.

i.e. Things you have to physically help them play with, one to one. Things that require some actual physical activity, not sitting watching a screen, or standing twiddling sticks on a Tx.

Sorry, but I'm one of those old fogies who made most of my own entertainment when a kid, not opened a box and had it instantly work for me.

RTF, ARTF, grrrrrrr!

Actually there are quite a few adults who could learn a lot about model building, trimming, and flying, from chuck gliders.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:08 AM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Heed the warnings...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:07 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,713 Posts
<erects lightning rod> <puts on firesuit>

A GIRL????? Everybody knows girls can't fly!

No, seriously I like the idea of a foam chuck glider. They fly for distances that will amaze her and you can easily fix anything that goes wrong. Let HER tell you when she has a burning desire and interest in flying an RC plane.

In the meantime, messing with the chuck glider will teach her how things fly and how to trim them.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:43 AM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
+1 on a chuck glider - my 11 year old son still have very much fun with the Multiplex Fox, eventhough he is flying 6 different motorized 3 and 4ch planes. I think he find it relaxing just to chuck it around and see what he can make it do, without concentrating about piloting and worry about a crash - he brings it to the field almost every time...
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:55 AM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
Get her started now and she could be the next Patty Wagstaff or Christine Gerner!
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:16 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx View Post
OMG, that is the cutest thing I've ever seen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiWE View Post
+1 on a chuck glider - my 11 year old son still have very much fun with the Multiplex Fox, eventhough he is flying 6 different motorized 3 and 4ch planes. I think he find it relaxing just to chuck it around and see what he can make it do, without concentrating about piloting and worry about a crash - he brings it to the field almost every time...
Yep, I keep a Fox in the car all the time because of that. You can hand it to any kid and watch them have loads of fun with it, and you can't break it. I've been known to toss it around myself quite a bit too. It's a lot of fun seeing how far you can make it go, or seeing if you can get it to loop. I wish I could buy one of those for every kid in America!
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501