HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2010, 11:55 PM
@Home
Joined Jan 2007
1,410 Posts
Discussion
Brushless HZ Champ

Has anyone converted their Hobbyzone Champ to brushless? I have converted mine by swapping out the brick with an AR6400, 1s ESC/battery, and a 1500kV motor. It flies nice and quiet, but lacks power (about 50%) compared to the stock configuration.

Any suggestions on how this could be improved would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Vas
VasMan is offline Find More Posts by VasMan
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2010, 12:12 AM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
what prop are you running?
Whats the max cont. amps on that esc?

The stock Champ pulls about 1.5 amps peak. I know with my 5g hk 2000kv outrunner I can pull 1.9a on a 5030 and it has way more thrust by feel over stock. I'll have a thrust gauge completed this weekend for a hard number.

~Kev

PS: cant tell in the second pic, but is the prop on backwards? I don't see the lettering on it.
PPS: Yeh, mines on 2s as well after reading the post below this lol
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Old Sep 02, 2010, 12:14 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VasMan View Post
Has anyone converted their Hobbyzone Champ to brushless? I have converted mine by swapping out the brick with an AR6400, 1s ESC/battery, and a 1500kV motor. It flies nice and quiet, but lacks power (about 50%) compared to the stock configuration.

Any suggestions on how this could be improved would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Vas
That motor would work a lot better on 2S. A 2S ESC and 2 batteries wired in series would make it fun.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Sep 02, 2010, 12:21 AM
@Home
Joined Jan 2007
1,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksiede View Post
what prop are you running?
Whats the max cont. amps on that esc?

The stock Champ pulls about 1.5 amps peak. I know with my 5g hk 2000kv outrunner I can pull 1.9a on a 5030 and it has way more thrust by feel over stock. I'll have a thrust gauge completed this weekend for a hard number.

~Kev

PS: cant tell in the second pic, but is the prop on backwards? I don't see the lettering on it.
PPS: Yeh, mines on 2s as well after reading the post below this lol
The prop is a GWS EP-5043 (hard to tell from the picture, but it's not backwards) and the ESC is a Hobbyking DP 3A/206B (XP 3A). 2s is an option, however I was hoping to stay with a 1s battery.
Old Sep 02, 2010, 12:26 AM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
The prop is a GWS EP-5043 (hard to tell from the picture, but it's not backwards) and the ESC is a Hobbyking DP 3A/206B (XP 3A). 2s is an option, however I was hoping to stay with a 1s battery.
Check the max amp rating on the motor, and if you can run it through a meter for static tests.

That motor looks exactly like my 5g 2000kv outrunner, right down to the 4 legged mount which is sorta rare among other outrunners. I haven't tried it on 1s through an ar6400, but on 2s through an ar6100E it was pulling 2.1 amps with a 5043 and warming up noticeably. I de-propped it to a 5030 and it was giving me 1.9 amps static and staying cooler while still offering 15 watts of power, or 3X what the stock champ does on 1s.

If you do go 2s, make sure you diode the power into the brick to step it down, the bricks do not like 2s voltage.

~Kev
Old Sep 02, 2010, 12:27 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Your going to need a motor with more Kv's to stay 1s. Something around 3000 or so is what you need.
Old Sep 02, 2010, 12:32 AM
@Home
Joined Jan 2007
1,410 Posts
Thanks guys, great information! I'll get a higher Kv motor and see how it works. Any recommendations from Hobbyking?

Thinking this one:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=9662

Vas
Old Sep 02, 2010, 12:36 AM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Well, from HK.. they are either to low, or to high of KV really.. few fit into the proper range for 1s operation.

Honestly though, without going through a gearbox like stock, I don't think brushless on 1s is going to be effective enough to compete with a stock champ.

Even going through a gearbox with a brushless is iffy at best on 1s..

A simple Y harness to use 2 of the stock style lipos (150mah range) at the same time, and a diode from the esc to the brick to step the voltage down safely.. and your setup would be in business.

The slight gain in weight from carrying 2 batteries will be FAR more then offset by the massive power increase you will get.

All said and done, you are likely adding about 10 to 12g of weight to your champ, or 33% more then stock, yet you would be adding 300% more power!

~Kev
Old Sep 02, 2010, 12:36 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys, great information! I'll get a higher Kv motor and see how it works. Any recommendations from Hobbyking?

Thinking this one:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=9662

Vas
That appears to be your best bet for under $40 on 1S.
Old Sep 02, 2010, 12:58 AM
@Home
Joined Jan 2007
1,410 Posts
I have ordered the motor, however it won't be here for at least couple weeks. In the meantime, I'll try a 2s ESC and see how that works.

Thank you for both for your input.

Vas
Old Sep 02, 2010, 08:13 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
There's always this one as well:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10003
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Sep 02, 2010, 10:36 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,632 Posts
Kinda interested in this. I would love a BL setup in my CHamp or maybe in my own airframe. I would actully like to take and AerorACE and throw a BL set up in one of those, they are basically indestructable.
kenstogie is online now Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Sep 03, 2010, 01:01 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksiede View Post
Well, from HK.. they are either to low, or to high of KV really.. few fit into the proper range for 1s operation.

Honestly though, without going through a gearbox like stock, I don't think brushless on 1s is going to be effective enough to compete with a stock champ.
I agree - thrust benefit to cost in weight&runtimes do not equal - imo BL is not worth it in 1s range - been trying to crack the BL combo for extremely lite 1S planes but no real luck yet - I did have an expensive BLmotor in this range pushed well but esc consistence was tricky with bricks

another cheap option to go with Champ is the superlite 70mah hyperion - literally flies on lowest throttle setting (rtf tx) very nice and smooth level flight, this plane is too much! with throttle management you can loop forever.
elvill is offline Find More Posts by elvill
Last edited by elvill; Sep 03, 2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 01:05 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Watchout - very weak shaft! - mine bent on first "landing" could not fix and had to pull it. buyer beware though some have had success ie modfly
elvill is offline Find More Posts by elvill
Old Sep 05, 2010, 02:34 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,305 Posts
Subscribed.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29