HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2009, 05:05 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
If you install the pitot tube correctly and if you can succede in getting the tubes to be "kink free" then you will have some very accurate numbers.

Is it easy ??
Depends on what size battery you run and how much foam you have dug out. If there is enough room, then yeah, it is pretty easy.
Thanks Mopar, I think that I can get it done. I have some extra space, my 4s 2650s dont take up too much space.
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2009, 08:23 PM
York,PA
Joined May 2009
102 Posts
hey guys need advice on a prop...i want to run a ice 50 8s esc (not the lite) and a scorpion 10 motor (3000kv) its a 6 pole 450 heli size out runner..and im gonna blast it on 4s 30c packs..i wanna really max it out...i have 6x5e props now..how big of a prop"should" i be able to go..the esc hould handle 80amp spikes pretty easy..my data logger shows it hitting 70-75 amps all the time in my helicopter and i never had it shut down...

also...are these bad ass mounts available yet mopar?
yoshgixxer is offline Find More Posts by yoshgixxer
Old Dec 21, 2009, 08:45 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,861 Posts
yoshgixxer,

I'll let others answer your post above.

I do have a question though:

Do you already have the ICE 50A ESC?

If not would you be willing to consider getting the higher AMP version of same?
If not, is you decision based on price or weight or size, or need?

Of course as always we will all help you in whatever decisions that you make.

Take care buddy,

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Dec 21, 2009, 08:51 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshgixxer View Post
hey guys need advice on a prop...i want to run a ice 50 8s esc (not the lite) and a scorpion 10 motor (3000kv) its a 6 pole 450 heli size out runner..and im gonna blast it on 4s 30c packs..i wanna really max it out...i have 6x5e props now..how big of a prop"should" i be able to go..the esc hould handle 80amp spikes pretty easy..my data logger shows it hitting 70-75 amps all the time in my helicopter and i never had it shut down...

also...are these bad ass mounts available yet mopar?
1. I believe we will need a little more info on your motor choice.
2. You really want to MAX it out.........why stop @ 4s ?
3. MAX it out............Gryphon asked "THE" key question about ESC, you might need bigger.
4. For all info on mounts, see link below post #852 starts it
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...35/key_/tm.htm
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Dec 21, 2009, 08:55 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,861 Posts
Mega 16/25/2.5

Hi all,

Late January, MEGA will produce a medium KV motor....again in regular 480 size (110-114 gram).

MEGA 16/25/2.5

It should have similar KV to NEU 1110/2Y 2250KV and ARC 28-47-2 2170KV.

Current handling wise...it should be close to ARC 1.5 turn.

Well, it depends which one you buy because it'll be made in 2 different KVs just like the 16/25/1.5S 2990KV and 16/25/1.5R 3700KV both advertised KV.

16/25/2.5R 2100KV (rough guess at KV for now) This will probably be the more popular one of the two. Hoping actual to be not much more than 2200KV.

16/25/1.5S 1850KV (rough guess at KV for now)

Just depends on each person's setup, voltage, desires etc...

Have fun.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:03 PM
York,PA
Joined May 2009
102 Posts
you shouldnt need any more info then this!!

Stator Diameter ............................ 22.0 mm (0.866 in)
Stator Thickness ........................... 21.0 mm (0.827 in)
No. of Stator Arms ................................................. 9
No. of Magnet Poles ................................................ 6
Motor Wind ........................................... 10 Turn Delta
Motor Wire ...................... 13-Strand 0.21mm (31 AWG)
Motor Kv ........................................... 3000 RPM / Volt
No-Load Current (Io) ................. 1.79 Amps @ 10 volts
Motor Resistance (Rm) ............................. 0.031 Ohms
Max Continuous Current ............................... 42 Amps
Max Continuous Power ................................ 440 Watts
Weight .......................................... 79 Grams (2.79oz)
Outside Diameter .......................... 27.9 mm (1.097 in)
Shaft Diameter ............................. 3.17 mm (0.125 in)
Body Length ................................. 33.6 mm (1.323 in)
Overall Shaft Length ...................... 57.0 mm (2.244 in)

and yes,i already have the motor and esc im stripping out of my rave 450..
i got it so i wanna use it just to see..thats why i love my stryker..i just keep trying all these different esc's and motors cuz it only takes 5 minutes to switch it..but i need your guys help for gettin it close!! haha..i really wanted to try a outrunner..i have noticed the big difference between in runner and out runner with the helicopters..out runners seem to have alot more tourqe...so i wanna run it against the mega 3000kv inrunner motor i have and see what its like

and max it out with what i have!..i could make a 8s set up running two 4s in parellel..but then i need a different motor and esc...and probably some type of launching system!! hahaha ...i dont even know what kv i would use!!
Old Dec 22, 2009, 09:23 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhh, I finally found it.
A Scorpion HK-2221-10 V2.

That was what I needed, the Scorpion model number !!

Motocalk is showing less than 50% efficiency on a 6x6 with 4s-5000 battery.
I guess I can say that I have seen simulations be very close to reality, and this could give you a heads up to try a smaller prop first and check motor temps.

A 6x4 sport shows just about 80% efficiency when fully unloaded at just over 115 mph. Thats where I would start from, but definately give a short full throttle burst and land to check temps on that as well. Better to be safe than sorry. Please let us know how it goes !!
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:56 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
I just lost a very nice motor this weekend because I thought I had some room to push more power through it. The motor was less than warm at 65, 72, 76, 80, 82, 85, and 93 amps (running props which pulled progressively more current).

All these flights were flights with 4-5 full throttle passes, followed by immediate landing to check temperature.

So, based on the motor seeming to be more than fine on 93A, I put on a prop that pulled 105A.
I got 2/3 of the way through the first full throttle pass and then made a 150mph smoke trail. Landed OK, but the motor was burned up.

The funny thing is that even after burning, the motor was not hot on any part of the can or heat sink.

Obviously, I pushed too much power through it. But any ideas on why the practice of full throttle flying followed by a temp check on landing didn't work this time?
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Dec 23, 2009, 01:07 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
I suspect it is because at 150 mph, it took you some time to bleed off that speed and land. The can was able to cool as soon as it burned, it just took you enough time for all of the heat to dissipate. Landing quickly after chopping the throttle is the key, plus, if my calculations are correct, he would only be pushing 750 watts through his outrunner while you were in the neighborhood of 2,500 watts
Old Dec 23, 2009, 08:25 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
That sounds reasonable. Looks like, at these speeds, a temperature sensor on a data logger might be the best way to judge how the motor's really doing when it's being pushed. One more good reason to get the logger.

Does Eagletree's system have a sensor that can get into the motor's windings, or is it best to just get it attached to the motor's can?
Old Dec 23, 2009, 09:23 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
With the stock mount, I was able to get accurate can readings (NOT winding temps) from under the mount, but lost all accuracy when I introduced cooling air in that same region. I believe that the cooling air was more important, so I stopped looking for ways to get motor temps, and went with % RPM instead. I try to not cross a certain threshold, unless I have a backup motor. Each size motor has a different "line in the sand" that needs to be found. The new mount might hold some promise for better temp readings, but I still need more time futzing with them. I hope this answers your question(s). Good Luck !!!
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:05 AM
York,PA
Joined May 2009
102 Posts
can you guys give me a link to the calc. you use to get rough ideas of all these watt,amp draw and efficiantcey measurements?

looks like ill be getting my self a 100amp plus esc soon..was looking at the ice 100 looks nice..i wanna go 150!! plus i got some 6s packs i wanna use..if i can get em to fit!! hahaha..if not that then i got some 4s 2200 packs i might run in a series for 8s...yea im catching somthing on fire! hahah.. now i gotta find a big nasty motor to use...any one got any proven motors for 150mph range? and what cell count is used? 30c zippys are cheap no matter what size

ill be putting the scorpion and ice 50 in today and running it on 4s with a 6x4 to see how that gose,and to see if its faster then the mega 3000kv i have
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:29 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
I use this one:
http://adamone.rchomepage.com/calc_motor.htm

It's been accurate in my experience AS LONG as you play around with the battery cell voltage to get the volts to motor to match what your packs are actually putting up.

It doesn't have a ton of props so you have to so some custom inputting by modifying the sizes of the props it does have.

Another good calc is Motocalc. You can get a free trial and it's a one time $40 after that. It's nice because you can store setups for later use.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 11:27 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshgixxer View Post
..i wanna go 150!! plus i got some 6s packs i wanna use..if i can get em to fit!!
I have fit 6s-5000 (45/90) and 6s-5000 (30/60) in my Strykers with the stock covers laying just like a PNP (except of course, they were attached together to make 1 cover).

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post

Another good calc is Motocalc. You can get a free trial and it's a one time $40 after that. It's nice because you can store setups for later use.
Yes, Motocalc is good, and its what I use, you just need to know how to ensure the specks are accurate.
However, nothing beats real world data !!!
Old Dec 23, 2009, 01:03 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,645 Posts
Yoshgixer... I was looking at the Scorpion 2221-10 and 2221-12 too, but I bought the Turnigy 2836 2350kv and the 3200KV (cost thing). But I'd still be interested in these motors for future projects. Will you let us know how it performs and what you think once you've had a few flights. Cheers
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo