SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 13, 2005, 04:32 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5 Posts
Rossi .91 F.I. opinions...

I recently aquired a Rossi .91 F.I. (very economically!) Although it's N.I.B. I'm guessing it's a motor from the 80's.... I've heard stories about Rossi motors being high in quality, RPM, and power, but they can be tempermental. The people I've talked to recently give me the impression the .91 is a good reliable motor that is not tempermental.
I would like to use it for sport / 3D flying, in something like a Funtana or Harrier. I have a few questions / concerns, maybe you Rossi guys can help me with:

Is the power band flat enough to handle the slower flight characteristics of these type planes? Will it handle a larger prop at a slower rpm? Or, do I stick to a smaller prop & keep the rpm up?

I've been told a tuned pipe is best for these. "Jett" seems to have a nice one. Have any of you seen a Pitts style muffler used on this motor?

If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.... Even if you think it's a bad idea!
Bill Morgan is offline Find More Posts by Bill Morgan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2005, 05:10 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
Bill, the Rossi 90 isn't a super high strung engine like the smaller versions. I think peak HP is only 17K or so, I'd prop it to turn in the 12 to 14K region and have fun. I'd say the power band is plenty flat for sport flying, but you'll need to try a few props to see what works best.

You're not gonna find a whole lot of people running them nowdays, Rossi has had such abysmal support in the US for so long that they have all but fallen off the face of the map here.

Morris Hobbies is/was the last importer as far as I know, and last I heard still had some parts. You will have to call them, their website does not reflect everything they have. Robert is the guy, but you probably won't need anything if your engine is new.

Rossi's are robust, and a little heavier than other engines, but make a lot of power and can be run quite hard. I can't recall ever seeing a stock muffler for a Rossi 90 side exhaust, most people ran headers and pipes on them. Any 15cc pipe will work, just try Macs or someplace for a header..Morris might be able to help, not sure.

Above all, don't let people talk you out of trying it based on old wives tales. I have probably more Rossis than anything, all in the .60 to 90 size range, and they have always been very reliable engines. I'd guess right off I still have over 25 or somewhere in that region.
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery