HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2014, 04:42 AM
United Kingdom, England, Chelmsford
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
Help!
Fishing bait boat... Wants modding!!

I recently purchased this boat second hand real cheap.
http://www.anglingtechnics.co.uk/baitBoat.php
Now, it's been sealed with waterproof sealant around the hull, which leads me to believe that it's not gonna be good without it.
So after using it once, I wanna upgrade the inners and make good again with the cash I saved from buying new.
I have built a couple of quadcopters using the simple knowledge I have of electronics, so I feel I should be ok with this...
The boat has 3 jets, and 2 servos (I believe) and 3 LED lights
I have TX & RX's from my quads, can I use these in my boat?
And what kind of control unit should I be looking for? What's it even called? In the quad world it's a FCU (flight control unit) or the brain as I like to dumb it down to my mates, but I'm so new to this, I need some people to hold my hand and point me in the right directions lol

Thanks guys! Any help would be brilliant!

Sam
GreenEggz is offline Find More Posts by GreenEggz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2014, 06:05 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,992 Posts
The big question is "what upgrades?" Better hopper control, more powerful motors? It is currently designed to run on a cheap 2 channel set, with sequential operation, probably where the "computer enhancement" comes in.
You will probably be looking at a multi channel 2.4GHz outfit. I have no idea what your copter control is, but it might well have some programming in the transmitter, the receiver might or might not have a totally unwanted failsafe and will certainly need very careful positioning in the boat to ensure good range over water. Standard servos and ESCs should be perfectly OK.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Nov 10, 2014, 07:29 AM
Joined May 2014
73 Posts
If u need any advice or help drop me a email as I'm in the process of building a bait boat now
azza1985 is offline Find More Posts by azza1985
Old Nov 11, 2014, 06:23 PM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
Well the boat I got has been sealed using a rubber sealant, so I think when I open it, I'll know more. Thing is I do wanna use it a little before try to make my mods and possibly fail and screw it up and make twice as much work for myself and lose a handy bit of kit.
I think It runs on the little 7v battery from a scooter or small motorbike.
I don't wanna change the jets, I think they r good enough.
I wanna be able to use my 3cell 12v batteries from my quads, instead of these rubbish lead battery. I have loads and they charge much quicker!
I have the kk2 board on my quads and thought maybe I could use this as my throttle and steering?
Kinda hard to explain, especially as I havnt even seen the inside of my boat yet...
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:16 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2006
1,307 Posts
It is illegal and punishable up to 5 years in prison if you do not post detailed pictures!

Your thread is currently being monitored by Scotland Yard for possible violations, please comply immediately!!
Tollytime is online now Find More Posts by Tollytime
Old Nov 12, 2014, 04:13 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,992 Posts
If it runs a 6 volt SLA (probably chosen because it was the game in town at the time of design, they stand a lot of abuse, and the weight was probably wanted for stability), upping the voltage might have a bad effect on the motors, and will certainly need some serious reconsideration of the speed controls. The other electronics at present probably just runs off the main battery - a higher voltage battery will cause a BEC to be needed to provide the 5 volts that the electronics prefers. This might, or might not, appear in your new ESC.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Nov 12, 2014, 06:27 AM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
I think my ESC's have BEC as it goes...
I have a set our Gaui ESC's from my 500x and some of the hobby king ones that were Simon k modded...
Going fishing tomorrow till Sunday. I think next week will be the time for deconstruction and evaluation...
Just trying to get my head back in the game of the electronics again now :/
Appreciate everyone's input so far... Even tollytime, u made me lol!
I'll sort out pics and more info next week I promise
Any other thoughts would be good and if you have done something like this before give me a PM
Thanks guys!
Old Today, 08:53 AM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
So these are some pics I have just taken to show the inside.
A lot simpler than one expected, but still has me confused like mike Tyson at a spelling b...
If anyone wants to start helping me shed some light on this, that would be great!
Cheers guys

Edit:
Turns out its a 12v battery... This is a good thing right? As my lipo's r 3s 12v
Think this should be easier than first thought now?
Last edited by GreenEggz; Today at 09:05 AM.