HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2014, 05:54 PM
United States, CA, La Honda
Joined May 2014
202 Posts
Thanks; that's the information I was looking for. I've narrowed down my options to something much like what you have, with either the 52 or a 60.

Our field an outdoor carpet-type landing strip. Pretty smooth and ok size, but on some days it seems small and elusive. With an Apprentice I can do good landings most every time. With an 800mm FMS T-28, I've crashed more often than landed well, on takeoff or landing or due to electronic issues. Self-destructive little thing and not much fun to fly, for me.

And yesterday I flew an FMS 1400 T-28 that I bought just after the Apprentice a few months ago, thinking it would be a good next step. Got it up and back twice with no damage and one perfect landing, but I didn't enjoy the plane much. Not sure scale is for me, at least not without other options. I'm hoping a Meridian is not too similar.

What size wheels are stock?

For APC props, would it be the thin electric "E" props, or the sport props?
seldredge is offline Find More Posts by seldredge
Last edited by seldredge; Oct 04, 2014 at 06:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2014, 04:47 PM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldredge View Post
................And yesterday I flew an FMS 1400 T-28 that I bought just after the Apprentice a few months ago, thinking it would be a good next step. Got it up and back twice with no damage and one perfect landing, but I didn't enjoy the plane much. Not sure scale is for me, at least not without other options. I'm hoping a Meridian is not too similar.

What size wheels are stock?

For APC props, would it be the thin electric "E" props, or the sport props?
I am not sure what the stock wheels are as I have played around with my Meridian. I have 70mm on. I discarded the front wheel spat as it constantly got knocked out of line.

I use the standard APC Thin electric "E" props. I did try a Xoar prop. Beautiful prop and I think very efficient (time wise) but it only lasted about 6 flights before I broke a tip off.

The Meridian is not a hot aerobatic plane. It does fly well but compared to say my Sebart Wind S 50 I would say it lumbers about the sky. It will not snap through moves, but this, I would consider, will teach you good stick control as it does need corrective stick input as you do moves. This is not a bad thing. For example I have an Extreme Flight 48" MXS and you can throw it through an aileron roll without any elevator input. You cannot throw a Meridian into an aileron roll, you have to fly the Meridian through it otherwise it will corkscrew and you will loose height. It is not a floaty plane either, probably because of the weight. I like it and happily take it to the field for a fly alongside my other planes.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Oct 06, 2014, 01:39 AM
Joined May 2014
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
I am not sure what the stock wheels are as I have played...The Meridian is not a hot aerobatic plane. It does fly well but compared to say my Sebart Wind S 50 I would say it lumbers about the sky..
Thanks for the thoughtful answer, Watdazit. Your comments about how the Meridian flies are helpful. Surprised it's not floaty. I know it's heavy, but has such a long wingspan. I nearly got an Edge ready to go because...those planes are so tempting, and I figure I could dial it back to begin, but I finally decided to stick with my plan of progression and get a Meridian first. I still enjoy my Apprentice (with flaps and bigger motor), but I want what it does in a more precise, higher performance, less awkward flier. Something to learn flying and basic aerobatic moves with. And I like tricycle gear ( looked at a Pulse also). And after awhile I'll come across some good deal on a 3D plane and get one and take them both to the field
Old Oct 06, 2014, 10:11 PM
Build to fly, fly to fix
Canada, QC, Pointe-Claire
Joined Jun 2011
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
The Meridian is not a hot aerobatic plane. It does fly well but compared to say my Sebart Wind S 50 I would say it lumbers about the sky.
No the Meridian is not a hot aerobatic plane, it's not meant to be. But rather, a very ideal first full house low wing trainer. Not quite fair to compare to Wind S - a purpose built pattern plane. IMHO
teckbot is online now Find More Posts by teckbot
Old Oct 06, 2014, 11:43 PM
Joined May 2014
202 Posts
How about a Meridian compared to a Pulse, which seems to be essentially the same plane except tail dragger and no flaps, and perhaps a slightly shorter wingspan (6") depending on the brand.
Old Oct 07, 2014, 07:45 AM
Build to fly, fly to fix
Joined Jun 2011
484 Posts
Depending on your piloting skill / experience, a tricycle gear plane may be easier to deal with than a tail dragger. And also to consider your flying field, where again a tricycle gear is easier to deal with on rougher grass fields.
I looked at the Pulse, reminds me of my Super Sportster. Great flying, but highly frustrating plane on the ground. I could make a perfect landing yet, she would often nose over at the very last second coming to a halt. Argh!!
Both would make fine choices. Just remembered, Meridian has flaps - another thing to consider as a plus.
Old Oct 07, 2014, 08:07 AM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
2,067 Posts
Quote:
How about a Meridian compared to a Pulse, which seems to be essentially the same plane except tail dragger and no flaps, and perhaps a slightly shorter wingspan (6") depending on the brand.

That is also my opinion and is how I explain the plane to others. I can fly the Meridian just like a Pulse and it will perform as well with the exception of inverted flat-spins. Coming in for landing it floats just like the pulse and the flaps allows it to stop short.
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Oct 07, 2014, 12:29 PM
Joined May 2014
202 Posts
Great. Thanks. I think the Meridian will be plane #2 and some 3D plane #3 later. If I'm in an inverted flat spin, probably won't matter what plane I'm in (I'll be on the phone to technical support). Regards.
Old Oct 08, 2014, 03:39 PM
Joined May 2014
202 Posts
Y-cables?

I'm ordering things to build one of these. The "completion" kits don't mention Y-cables, but include an 8 channel receiver, so I assume the suggestion is to use separate channels for aileron and flap servos. ? Is that true/recommended? I was going to use a six channel receiver and Y cables. (electric build)
Old Oct 08, 2014, 03:57 PM
amo ludibria ventis
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Oct 2010
7,555 Posts
If I were you, I'd separate everything. 1 channel for each aileron and 1 for each flap. It allows for more fine tuning.

Not sure if anyone has said it, but I'm not sure I'd go from a foamie trainer to this plane. If you do, I hope you have someone that can help you out on the first few flights. Balsa isn't as easy to fix as foam obviously.
PontiusPilate is online now Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
Old Oct 08, 2014, 04:23 PM
Joined May 2014
202 Posts
Hmm. I wanted to use an AR636 receiver that I already have, and don't want to use an AR8000 receiver, which I've had bad experiences with twice in helicopters. Happy to take recommendations.

I could find someone to help me on the first few flights, but what am I wanting help on? (Does the Meridian have a lot torque roll or stall easily?) I set up and flew a 5 lb 55-inch T-28 foam plane twice, with some nerves but no issues. I put it aside because I didn't like it and thought it would be better to sell it while it was still pristine, or wait until I have more time in something else I like. The scale performance felt like no performance.

I haven't found a lot of options for next planes that are at least the size (60 inches) and weight of the Apprentice. That size and mass is easy to see and handles wind better. Came down to something like a 51 inch FMS foam 3D plane or Meridian. Thought the Meridian would be easier to fly. If I found something used I'd try it, but nothings come up.
Last edited by seldredge; Oct 08, 2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2014, 06:41 PM
Build to fly, fly to fix
Joined Jun 2011
484 Posts
Quote:
Hmm. I wanted to use an AR636 receiver that I already have, and don't want to use an AR8000 receiver, which I've had bad experiences with twice in helicopters. Happy to take recommendations.

I could find someone to help me on the first few flights, but what am I wanting help on? (Does the Meridian have a lot torque roll or stall easily?) I set up and flew a 5 lb 55-inch T-28 foam plane twice, with some nerves but no issues. I put it aside because I didn't like it and thought it would be better to sell it while it was still pristine, or wait until I have more time in something else I like. The scale performance felt like no performance.

I haven't found a lot of options for next planes that are at least the size (60 inches) and weight of the Apprentice. That size and mass is easy to see and handles wind better. Came down to something like a 51 inch FMS foam 3D plane or Meridian. Thought the Meridian would be easier to fly. If I found something used I'd try it, but nothings come up.
I am with PontiusPilate, separate channels are preferable. But i think you could still go with your AR636 with separate channels for ailerons, and a y-harness for flaps (if you must )
And double for Balsa Vs Foam. It will take more than just a little foam safe CA or FoamTac if a wing needs mending.

Not scaring you, on the contrary - this is a great plane. Just know what you are getting into - confortably.
Old Oct 08, 2014, 07:35 PM
Joined May 2014
202 Posts
Thanks for thought on separate channels for ailerons but Y the flaps. Makes sense to do it that way, and I can use the receiver I have.

teckbot: "Not scaring you, on the contrary - this is a great plane. Just know what you are getting into - comfortably. "

That's just it. I of course don't know what I don't know. I know that. Being comfortable with something new comes after you do it. It's difficult to decide based on what plane I think I am most likely to crash. Arg.
Old Oct 08, 2014, 08:13 PM
Build to fly, fly to fix
Joined Jun 2011
484 Posts
Of course being a little bit uncomfortable make you grow and further develop your skills. Just don't over extend, because you may be disappointed with the result and discouraged with the hobby all together.
I got ahead of myself early last year after I restored a 30cc Cap232 that i got as a gift and took it flying. Twice i ripped out the landing gear and broke several props. Scared the sh*t out of me, and i shelved the plane. I built a smaller 20cc Revolver70 to use as a trainer, and had good results. Last week I took the Cap out again, and Wow! What a plane, easy to fly!? I guess i grew into my shoes.
Keep building, flying and fixing (if necessary). And most of all have fun.
Old Oct 08, 2014, 10:32 PM
Joined May 2014
202 Posts
Understood. Thanks. I found the E-Flite Carbon Z Splendor on sale for $180, so I got one of those to test the performance waters. I like it. Flies on 6S, wing loading similar to Meridian. I like it.
Last edited by seldredge; Nov 18, 2014 at 01:10 PM.