HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:21 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Picked up a um stryker today and almost destroyed it trying to launch it. Maybe I'm just not quick enough. Don't think I will have any problem flying it if I can ever figure out how to get it in the air. I always fly over grass and hand launch, but under power. I launch with left hand with right hand on controls and don't have a bit of trouble. But tried this one that way and piled it in before I could get to the throttle. Tried launching right handed, but couldn't get to the controls quick enough to save it from a roll/turn to the left and piled in.

Is there a trick? or do you just have to be faster than this old man is?
If you have a hard time with the side launch, then try the top launch, particularly if you handlaunch your other UMs from the top as well. Grab it with your left hand, at the back of the cockpit with basically some fingers on the foam part as well (find your sweet spot). It's a bit slippery, but you quickly get the hang of it. Now, with your right hand, apply power (about 80%), move that hand to the right stick so you can control it right away, then launch with the left hand. With your hand on top, prop strikes are less likely (the plane drop a little on take-off).
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:06 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
bobly,

RG's vid shows it pretty well...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2259

Using TX neckstrap.
Left hand hold on wing.
Power up.
Nose up toss with right hand on the stick.
Becomes super easy.

rc
Thanks rc - that sounds the most feasible. Video makes it look easy - (seen too many videos of things that are made to look easy though). If this darned wind ever dies back down, I'll give it another go - got it all glued back up for now. I want to think if I ever get it in the air and trimmed out everything will be ok. If not, I suppose it wouldn't be the first mistake I've made in this addiction thing and probably not the last. Anyway, thanks for the video and excellent description. For this launch procedure, how much throttle are you using?
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:05 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,319 Posts
Back from a fly-in HHAEFI (Hodges Hobbies. Andersonville GA ) and went ahead and picked up the BigBrother stryker....and its amazing

fun level is double.....
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:15 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,818 Posts
Quote:
Thanks rc - that sounds the most feasible. Video makes it look easy - (seen too many videos of things that are made to look easy though). If this darned wind ever dies back down, I'll give it another go - got it all glued back up for now. I want to think if I ever get it in the air and trimmed out everything will be ok. If not, I suppose it wouldn't be the first mistake I've made in this addiction thing and probably not the last. Anyway, thanks for the video and excellent description. For this launch procedure, how much throttle are you using?
I use 1/2 or a little more.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:15 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,070 Posts
Following the Stryker/Micro Wing FPV discussion, as we were going slightly off-topic, I made a new thread for the micro wing here (in the FPV forum):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1523118
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:11 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,662 Posts
Well guys I finally maidened mine!

What a nightmare. People watching me and I couldn't get it up - so to speak

3 attempted launches power off had it hitting the floor before I could get the power on. I even tried setting throttle hold so I could go to power with the flick of a switch with my right hand...

After so much of being a laughing stock I bit the bullet and launched it Darts style under power. Soon found out the problem - massive roll to the left which needed loads of trim to correct. It seemed to balance ok so maybe this is down to motor torque?

Once airborne though - what a machine such a huge speed range, quite happy WOT or just tootling around!! All my landings were elevators, the first one from very high. The last one from very fast and very low (which nearly went pear shaped).

One thing that I will have to sort though is the rudder roll. It looked quite impressive but I would like a switch so I could mix in some opposite aileron so that it yaws flat. Tried a flat spin but it was a non event. Might just bash in a stickfull of rudder in an elevator when I get a bit more experience

All in all it's a very nice plane, my first wing btw, once it is in the air! Now it is trimmed it launches fine but I've not tried power off again yet...

It is making me want to get bigger brother, or maybe even a Scimitar
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:29 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Well guys I finally maidened mine!

What a nightmare. People watching me and I couldn't get it up - so to speak

3 attempted launches power off had it hitting the floor before I could get the power on. I even tried setting throttle hold so I could go to power with the flick of a switch with my right hand...

After so much of being a laughing stock I bit the bullet and launched it Darts style under power. Soon found out the problem - massive roll to the left which needed loads of trim to correct. It seemed to balance ok so maybe this is down to motor torque?
Sounds like my day Saturday. Except that I busted mine up in the first attempts. Got it all fixed up, but way too much wind yesterday to make another attempt. Did get a few minutes in Sunday evening about dark and took the polecat out and practiced the left hand frisby type launch with it. That way I can have my hand on controls like I'm used to. Still felt uncomfortable with power on overhand left hand launch for stryker. Still working and need those fingers on my left hand. Sounds like yours did the same thing as mine with the left hand roll. After trimming out, do the aileron's on the plane look level or do they look like a bit of right aileron trimmed in? I still believe it's gonna be great fun if I ever get it in the air.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:49 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,662 Posts
I never thought to look!!

I imagine they will be way out but who cares, it flies great

I flew mine as it was just starting to get dark and the later flights really had me struggling with orientation...

Packed it back away and had a blast with my Mini-Mozzie and Sbach which I am much more comfortable with
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:29 AM
I fly em', there for I am.
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Feb 2009
667 Posts
Damn,, sorry to hear you guys are having trouble launching. I've tried a couple other ways but the easiest and smoothest launch is the way the instructions say too. Overhand with a little force and a slightly ip angle, I have plenty of time to get my left hand back on the throttle...

I do launch left-handed though. Allows me to control the plane till I hit the gas.
SBOTI74 is offline Find More Posts by SBOTI74
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:37 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Still felt uncomfortable with power on overhand left hand launch for stryker.
Don't do that!!!!! That's dangerous. No one here launches that way. There are two choices:

- Side arm launch under power
- Overhead launch without power
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:39 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,636 Posts
Quote:

b,

Good news is, it gets super easy to launch once you get a method down.
My UM Stryker practically flies out of my hand.
I'm sure the 4040 prop helps as well.

My best guess is about 3/4 throttle.
I'll pay a little more attention this morning.
Weather looks golden once again!

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:02 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
b,

Good news is, it gets super easy to launch once you get a method down.
My UM Stryker practically flies out of my hand.
I'm sure the 4040 prop helps as well.

My best guess is about 3/4 throttle.
I'll pay a little more attention this morning.
Weather looks golden once again!

rc
I think that's the funniest thing about handlaunches. You curse them, but once you get it, you then find it easy and get it 100% of the time. Then, if someone ask you how you do it, you're not 100% sure how since it become a gut thing.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:19 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post
Don't do that!!!!! That's dangerous. No one here launches that way. There are two choices:

Dangerous? I think you might get a papercut from the MicroStryker prop. If this was regular Stryker - then yeah it can be dangerous.
cjbucher is online now Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:51 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright View Post

Well, you're WRONG!!! I overhand launch with power all the time. Just keep your wits about you. I've never been bit. No reason to GET bit. Just focus, think, slow down and do it right EVERY time! It's like flying the real thing, you just have to have discipline and focus.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:16 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,034 Posts
I hand launch a large percentage of my flights and don't have any trouble. Just would not want to try the stryker with my normal left hand power on style. I would believe that little prop at 15,000 rpm or more could be pretty viscous. And don't think I will have any trouble if i can ever get it in the air and trimmed out. To me that is one of the biggest factors in a good hand launch - "make sure it's trimmed to fly straight". I've always strived to have my um's so they would likely fly a straight path at 6' above the ground until they ran out of battery power or ran into something if I did not touch any controls after launching them.