SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:22 PM
Find More Posts by dshy
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Sep 2014
110 Posts
Have you guys tried adding soldering a capacitor to your buggies? It is suppose to smooth out the off throttle behavior, the mini-z's have an immediate off throttle braking that I've read can be eliminated by adding a small capacitor to the battery terminals.

LuckyDuc that track looks like big fun! My atomic threaded shocks started leaking I put TA 2000cST silicone diff fluid in the shocks, this really hardened up the suspension, the buggy used to spin on mid corner on power, now it just sticks and wants more. The rear end now gets a little light on corner exit but this really helped the drive train get power to the ground, the chassis doesn't bottom out anymore but its a little bouncier.

Here's a little video playing with my dog before, she's very nice to it, and loves playing dog and cat with it. The kiddie playmat is a great indoor track option for rolling hills or a ramp with a landing.
kyosho MB 010 VS Sushi Von Monstar Super Slow Motion 400fps (1 min 2 sec)

and here is a step by step for the capacitor.
http://www.microrcdrift.co.uk/kyosho...ost-capacitor/
dshy is offline Find More Posts by dshy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2015, 02:48 PM
Find More Posts by fastmax
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,934 Posts
I've never had an issue with off throttle behavior with my buggy. My tires have never locked up when I return the throttle to neutral. They only lock up when I grab the brakes. This though could be because I have a ton of traction with foam tires on my RCP track.

Interesting concept with the capacitor but I don't see the need. On the other hand if I was drifting an on road Z and returning the throttle to neutral was leading to sliding from the cars forward momentum then I could totally see it being a useful mod.

Cool video BTW!
fastmax is offline Find More Posts by fastmax
Old Jan 21, 2015, 04:01 PM
Find More Posts by dshy
Joined Sep 2014
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax View Post
My tires have never locked up when I return the throttle to neutral.
Agreed my buggy doesn't respond the same way he is describing either, but I can feel it/hear the power bite in the drive train . As soon as I left off the throttle I can hear the diffs rebalance based on mechanical drag/resistance ( like dog hair on the wheel bearings, drive axels ) car shimmies a little, then when I reapply the throttle everything dances again until the power/traction re normalizes to the wheels, I didn't glue my tires and have no inserts on hardwood floors (that might help paint my picture more). In general I think this mod will give you a little more roll out if you left off the throttle, maybe a little smoother, and a little smoother on power. They do have those little ceramic capacitors already, I think he just beefed it up.

I have an ma-020 setup for drifting and you really can feel effect more because you're dancing on that traction threshold. That little drift car has over 600$ invested (wasted :P ) in options, and these buggies are just a blast the way they come out of the box, different animals altogether but a load of fun.

Do you notice a difference in handling with a rear wing off/on?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 08:35 PM
Find More Posts by LuckyDuc
Formerly Denver. Now West Bend, WI
Joined Dec 2005
2,082 Posts
Thanks! The track is BIG fun. My family is really enjoying themselves this winter. The kids haven’t touched a video game since getting it. I like your video too. My dog is too old and just watches from a far.

I will say that the stock motor is a bit much on this track for my wife, 7 and 9 yr old. We are now racing in “Training” mode until everyone learns to drive the course better… And learns throttle management. Training mode is actually quite fun when you have 4 cars on the track at the same time.

I run hot laps in normal mode when running by myself. I’m turning some pretty good laps and don’t really feel like a higher RPM motor is needed with this track configuration.

Adding capacitors can be a good idea to help reduce ripple current going to the ESC and motor. I add them to my electric racing boats to smooth out the ripple current going to my ESC from the lipos. Ripple current can really reek havoc on a power system at 200 amps. I haven’t seen a need for additional capacitors yet with our buggy setup, but I haven’t checked the temps on the OEM caps, or noticed the throttle braking you have.

I’ll try to get some videos in the near future to share as well. I do have a video of one of my electric boat races with additional capacitors added to the ESC. Mine is the red one that moves from 3rd place to 1st

2014 NAMBA FE Nationals P Sport Hydro (1 min 40 sec)
LuckyDuc is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDuc
Last edited by LuckyDuc; Jan 21, 2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by dshy
Joined Sep 2014
110 Posts
I have never seen a boat race, that is pretty amazing, insane speeds. That seems to be flirting with disaster at any moment! Do those stay belly down ok, those turns look scary.

incredible!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 08:49 AM
Joined Dec 2005
2,082 Posts
They don't always stay belly down

Finished my track's rumble strip. Going to place some pool noodles next to give some rolling jumps in the straights.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 01:03 PM
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,934 Posts
Rumble strip looks great! Nicely done. I need to make something similar myself. You might like the PN Racing 70T Stock motor for your buggies if you ever decide to upgrade motors. Top speed gets a slight boost, but acceleration, and power coming out of the corners is leaps and bounds better than the stock Kyosho motor. It's what I run on our home track more than any other motor.

http://www.kenonhobby.com/PN-Racing-...r_p_43044.html

Being a 70T motor makes it very easy on the ESC, and everything stays nice and cool. The price is just right, and you can replace the brushes when they wear out so the motors will serve you well for a long time.

http://www.kenonhobby.com/PN-Racing-...r_p_43262.html

Just a little food for thought for the future
Old Jan 24, 2015, 03:18 PM
Joined Dec 2005
2,082 Posts
I already picked up a PN Stock 70T based on your recommendation in another thread. I plan to give it a try after the OEM motor wears out.

Here's a short video clip of me running solo. I wasn't able to get the Easy Lap Counter software to reliably count laps so I plan to tape the family race sessions. We can watch our race after dinner and count the laps then.

Kyosho Mini Z Buggy Track 2050124 (0 min 19 sec)
Old Jan 24, 2015, 03:28 PM
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshy View Post
Do you notice a difference in handling with a rear wing off/on?
I use a wing when I run the Lazer body set, and honestly I don't notice any difference in handling from one set up to the other.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 03:31 PM
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuc View Post
I wasn't able to get the Easy Lap Counter software to reliably count laps so I plan to tape the family race sessions.
Is it a problem with your particular set up/situation, or an issue with the software itself? There are some other software options that work with your hardware.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 09:01 AM
Joined Dec 2005
2,082 Posts
Easy Lap Counter

I tried changing settings, lighting, and angles, but I still couldn't get it to reliably count laps.

It could be user error on my part. The software seems well thought out, I just couldn't get it to work well.

What other software options are you referring to?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 09:57 AM
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Nov 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuc View Post
I tried changing settings, lighting, and angles, but I still couldn't get it to reliably count laps.

It could be user error on my part. The software seems well thought out, I just couldn't get it to work well.

What other software options are you referring to?
My bad, I was reading easy lap counter but was thinking a different system.

I'm not sure if you've looked into any of the higher grade timing systems, but this is highly recommended among Mini-Z racers, and home track owners.

http://www.trackmateracing.com/shop/...p-counter.html

And you would need two more of these

http://www.trackmateracing.com/shop/...connector.html

This system will work with most of the lap counting software out there. Some people like the included software and many others prefer flipside software.

http://www.flipsideracing.org/projects/fslapcounter/

I will be getting this system next month and running the flipside software myself. Right now we count laps manually and use the timer on my phone to signify the start and end of each session. It's lame! lol and I'm sick of it.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:32 AM
Joined Dec 2005
2,082 Posts
Thanks for the info on the Trackmate setup. It looks perfect. I'll be ear marking some of my tax refund for this!
Old Mar 03, 2015, 05:30 PM
Joined Dec 2005
2,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax View Post

I also suggest upgrading the motors. They are a bit on the slow side out of the box. For running on our home track the PN Racing 70T motor has been perfect. A good increase in torque and speed over stock, but still plenty drivable on tighter track layouts.

http://www.kenonhobby.com/PN-Racing-...r_p_43044.html
I'm getting ready to install this motor and noticed that it doesn't come with capacitors. Did you purchase some separately and solder them on, or install it without adding capacitors?