Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:50 PM
Find More Posts by Basingstoke Roy
http://roys-rc-tv.webs.com/
United Kingdom, England, Basingstoke
Joined Oct 2005
472 Posts
Build Log
T&J Gloster Meteor WL419 Build

Hi After collecting this T&J model shot kit from Jim Young a year ago, from the Weak Signal Show in Toledo. I though that this weekend would be a fitting time to pull my finger out, clear my building board & make a start on this supper model.

As any scale model I put together has a link to MB, there's only going to be one colour scheme to chose, the silver & day-glow of WL419. Of course Jim's already done a supper job on there Black Meteor.

The link below is a short Video marking the start of my build project. It seemed like a good idea at the time!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1633453
Basingstoke Roy is offline Find More Posts by Basingstoke Roy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 08:02 AM
Find More Posts by Jim Young
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,979 Posts
Subscribing...

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Oct 2005
472 Posts
Hi Jim
How was the show this year? The photos I've seen look very good, just a shame I couldn't make it 2 years on the trot :^(

Still back to the project day 2 only had an hour today, but step one complete (see photo) so as they say a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:01 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,979 Posts
Looking good. Unfortunately, I didn`t make Toledo this year. It was spring break for the kids and we took them out west to see the grandparents. I`ve got to get my planes prepped for flying season now.

Jim
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Oct 2005
472 Posts
I have a question,
Eelevator control link. Should I use hard or soft solder?
I'm inclined to go with silver solder, was just wondering what you used.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:49 PM
Find More Posts by turbonut
Pro Hoarder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
8,258 Posts
I say silver is the way to go....Watching from the side lines!
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:18 AM
Joined Oct 2005
472 Posts
Thanks Turbonut, any & all comments gratefully received.

So that the way I've gone, Silver solder for the link & soft just to hold the swivel on the end. I must admit my silver soldering technique is slowly getting better with practice.

Not much ells to report. Top sheeting on the stab, all the tabs are removed ready for the lower sheeting & that's about it. Not quiet as much as I'd hoped for but at least I've managed to do a little bit every day so far.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:05 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,979 Posts
Good call on the silver solder. This linkage will be burried and you really don't want problems with your elevator. Also, when you mount the stab to the fin, carve out as much balsa around the linkage as necessary. You don't want it hanging up on anything.

Just remember, mine looked just like yours some time ago. Keep plugging away.

-Jim
Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:40 PM
Joined Oct 2005
472 Posts
A few picture, of todays progress.
Both rudders & elevators complete, & rudder linkage done.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Oct 2005
472 Posts
A little more progress. It seem like an age, that I've been working on this tail group but at last it's starting to look like a Meteors tail.

When your reading the instruction before hand, it's all seems so quick & straight forward. Considering that my last scale models tail, was a couple of lumps of 1/4 sheet stuck together, & cut to shape. It's not until you start building that you fully appreciate just how complex the Meteors tail group is. But still, there's a great deal of satisfaction when it's done.

Jumping ahead a bit (a lot), I have been working on an idea for the back cockpit! I will post more on this once I've finished putting together a proof of concept prototype!!
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:14 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,979 Posts
Wait until you get to the step that says "plank the fuselage" :-)

Jim
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:51 AM
Find More Posts by RiBell
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,999 Posts
Jumping in to watch with intreast as well. I bought the short kit and plan a month or two ago. Just need to place the Meteor in the building que.
Rick
RiBell is online now Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:37 PM
Find More Posts by eye4wings
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,635 Posts
Hi Roy,
A bit late with this (as I only just caught up with you on this one) - but I try NOT to use silver solder because I never seem to be able to restore the full strength to the wire. For the tail I now use two bits of wire with two right-angle bends (don't forget the short bit of tube before making the second bend!) each arranged so that the control horns sit alongside each other. I then slip a length of slightly flattened brass tube over them and flatten the end vertically so that I can drill it for clevis or bent wire connection. The tube can then be soft solder connected which means I can stick the soldering iron bit in to adjust or undo the connection at a later date.

The same sort of system is useful for bent wire connection to ailerons etc.. A few moments touching the soldering iron onto the tube allows the surface to be adjusted as desired, remove iron and a few moments later it resets solid.

Cheap and easy.
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Oct 2005
472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Young View Post
Wait until you get to the step that says "plank the fuselage" :-)

Jim
Now hold on gov! are those supposed to be words of comfort & encouragement. If so, there not working
I did smile on reading it, along with you comment that; "This one sentence will take some time"!!

Rick know the problem well, so much to build so little time.

So to the job in hand, page 4. Hurrah we’ve had a good day today, the tail assy is complete for now, & the first wing outer panel is started.
What has struck me is that there’s not a lot of room for the rudder linkage coupling, so I may need to do a bit of fettling later.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:21 PM
Find More Posts by Tonybuilder
Sports scale builder
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2012
1,633 Posts
The fun is just started, don't worry about planking the fuselage,  it's the  nacelles you should be worried about   

I have been flying my meteor two or three times a week now and it flys like a dream. No bad habits, she flies great in 0 -15 wind and cuts threw nicely. The only thing I wish I did differently would be to reinforce the bottom of the nacelles . If you land to hot she will bounce and once she starts bouncing she is like a bucking bronc.  The nacelles are venerable to scrapping.   
It's only happened a few times and only the covering was damaged. That is why I chose to not glass her, much easier to  repair! I hade one landing where the main gear did not come down and I did a nacelle landing, again just covering damage. The gear is short and hard to see so always do a fly by to confirm all gear is down. Otherwise a very well designed model, and she always gets everyone's attention ;-)

TB
Tonybuilder is offline Find More Posts by Tonybuilder