SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 17, 2015, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by 2spicey
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined May 2013
188 Posts
Well done Chap! Right... I'm out of ideas so am off to the park to maiden a Wing Wing
z-84 for another flyer...
2spicey is offline Find More Posts by 2spicey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2015, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by wopachop
Joined Apr 2007
2,113 Posts
Kick butt Chap!! Pics and threads help a lot.
So the plane does have ailerons. That changes everything. I have new ideas if interested. This first one i said before.

1. Rudder Mix error. Left aileron is giving right rudder

2. Aileron control surface binding

3. Aileron servo problem

4. Dual Aileron mix in the TX itself has a weird issue.
-------------------------------------------
Really man there is noway the right thrust angle of the motor mount is keeping a superCub with Ailerons from turning left.

It might just be a coincidence. When you adjusted the motor angle to straight, the real problem fixed itself. Say like binding linkage, servo acting funny. My current guess is the problem is with the wing ailerons. Just because the guy at the field flew it and said its near impossible to turn left. Its not the motor mount. I think your plane will fly better and be more fun to fly if we figure out whats up. If this is getting annoying no worries if you want to just drop it.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Jun 17, 2015, 09:08 PM
Joined May 2013
188 Posts
Supercub on 4s vid

While at the park this morning I thought I would dig out my old keychain cam and give ait a whirl on my 4s Cubby. The SD card was corrupted so I wipped the little one out of my cellphone and made a, bit too long vid. Make a coffee, turn the sound down as prop noise is a bit poo! (don't pull the curtains... the neighbours will think you are watching something good)

Hobbyzone Supercub on 4s (5 min 19 sec)

And a flight from the nose (where the motor is normally) of the Supercub Twin ...

Hobbyzone Supercub Twin (5 min 0 sec)
Last edited by 2spicey; Jun 17, 2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by Chap1012
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
13,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2spicey View Post
While at the park this morning I thought I would dig out my old keychain cam and give ait a whirl on my 4s Cubby. The SD card was corrupted so I wipped the little one out of my cellphone and made a, bit too long vid. Make a coffee, turn the sound down as prop noise is a bit poo! (don't pull the curtains... the neighbours will think you are watching something good)

https://youtu.be/EqiFPI9tXcg

And a flight from the nose (where the motor is normally) of the Supercub Twin ...

https://youtu.be/8ece6Fw_nes
Nice piece of flying there spicey. Dang, don't do that to me again without warning. Almost had to break out the barf bag

A couple ?'s. Can you take some pics of your cam mounting area and how you keep them attached. Next, what kind of cam are you using? I have a brand new Mobius V3 w/A lens. I must add,,..with very little use

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jun 18, 2015, 04:49 PM
Find More Posts by Chap1012
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
13,235 Posts
Hey Fellas, I've been wracking my head (like you guys) about the thrust angle. Upon breaking my wing with the stock setup that's when I decided to go BL. I glued the wing using Super Phatic and toothpicks. Once this was done, I then took some dihedral out of the wing which IMHO was successful. I then did the same test as pictured. Both wingtips where perfect in measurement at each end.

Today, I thought of that same test and here are the results. I have no idea how that measurement when off. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't give the Super Phatic enough time to dry and slowly moved out of position.

My next move (depending on feedback) I will do a nose to tail balance test.

BTW, thank you wopachop and 2spicey for sticking with me. I'm beginning to believe,,,...yes, there IS something different from my Cub to everyone else's.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jun 18, 2015, 06:19 PM
Joined May 2013
188 Posts
Hi Mike... pleased you found (possibly) the issue. You would normally be able to sort out issues in variance between wings using trim of course but if it annoys you...
The way I sort a Cubby wing is to cut the channel for the 6mm hollow CF rod and fill it with slow epoxy, silicon sealant like FixAll or even PVA wood glue works well. Put the wing on the floor squish the rod into the glue then put a sheet of Gladwrap or waxed paper over the middle (to stop the glue sticking to the books) then stack a few books on the centre of the wing to push it flat. I dont touch it for say 2 days and you have a strong wing straight as an arrow... I would pull out your CF (dont worry about the foam that comes with it).. clean it off and rebed it. Fill up any missing foam chips later with RedDevil spackling and no one will know.

To hold camera on I have a strip about 8inches long (come on America... go metric) and a selection of the 'other' velcro side (various lengths) so it can go around any wing or fuse (sideways view down the wing). The velcro is glued and cable tied to the bottom of camera and a small pad of fairly dense foam about 5mm thick sits beteen the plane and camera (vibrations) If it looks like it is gonna slip on a tapered wing, I put a dressmaking pin thru the leading & trailing edge velcro into the foam = zero movement. This way I can move it onto any foam plane. Yeah I need a Mobius. My old camera was cutting edge 4 years ago... tis poo now! Haaha.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 06:43 PM
Joined Apr 2007
2,113 Posts
Chaps new signature:
Im not a dirty old man. Just a sexy senior citizen.

To me the wing looks close to symmetric, just leaning a little bit over. You could lay a level on the table, then push half the wing onto the level. Measure how much the other side raises up.

You need to level because the wing struts and servo wires are in the way.
Or just hang the wing halfway off the table, to clear the wing struts.

I keep changing my guesses. What do other people think? At the moment i feel its more an electronic problem, or control surface binding problem. With working ailerons you should have so much control authority that you can overcome thrust angle, or a slightly tweaked wing. For the plane to roll right on takeoff, or be hard to turn left, to me that means a control surface is not deflecting properly while flying.

Even brand new servos can act funny.

If the wing was super off balanced it would be touching the table. You probably already did, but checking the front/back balance after BL motor install is critical. Normally people end up tail heavy because the BL motor is lighter.

If the plane was in front of me i would hook it up and start banging sticks around. The left aileron servo is slightly suspect. If that sucker is working, and moving the left aileron upward, i got to think the superCub would roll left. Regardless of any small differences in thrust angle or dihedral not being 100% symmetric.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 08:31 PM
Find More Posts by grubbyjeans
The Low-wing Super Cub
Houston, TX
Joined Sep 2007
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Chaps new signature:
To me the wing looks close to symmetric, just leaning a little bit over. You could lay a level on the table, then push half the wing onto the level. Measure how much the other side raises up.

You need to level because the wing struts and servo wires are in the way.
Or just hang the wing halfway off the table, to clear the wing struts.
I agree with wopachop. Measure each end of the wing with the other sitting on a flat surface or block, or try using two identical blocks under the center section where the wing sits in the saddle before measuring.
grubbyjeans is offline Find More Posts by grubbyjeans
Old Jul 02, 2015, 04:06 AM
Joined May 2013
188 Posts
Went to the park for 2.5 hours this morning. Wind gusting 3-5mph... life was pretty. Flew my nutty FMS J3 Cub which is a lot more aerobatic than my Supercubs. On 4s it hits over 100mph consistantly. Flew the Supercub twin as a warm up, BF109 next then jumped to my Mirage for the finale.. What a morning! Finished up and called round to my boys school on the way home where the teacher excused the class to go outside and watch as my son flew a selection from the back of my car. Within 5min we were joined by the other 280 kids as the school watched Mr 10year old fang it around (he flies everything except Mirage).

The kids loved it and were asking Andrew questions all day... Gotta love this hobby
Old Yesterday, 12:08 AM
Joined Apr 2007
2,113 Posts
Great story!! Kids are as good as the adults theyre influenced by. Youre rocking it!