HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2006, 06:12 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
Discussion
Bildo's brushless Scrappy

I finally got all the pieces in the mail today for my newest project. The plan is to build the fastest 25" wing that I possibly can. Equipment will be the following:

1. Wing Warrior Scrappy
2. Little Screamers Speed Scream or whatever Bob Vincent calls the little monster he wound up for me
3. 2 cell 1200 20C PolyRC lipo
4. Either Cool Running 25A or CC Phoenix 25 which ever pushes it better
5. Prop will be an APC 4.75x4.75 at least to start with. Any better prop solutions welcomed

Will try and post pics of the raw materials later and build pics as I go. Anyone with CD motor mounting ideas please chime in. Also if anyone has lightweight glassing ideas give a holler as well. Those are the two main concerns at this point.

Thanks
Bill
bildo baggins is online now Find More Posts by bildo baggins
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2006, 07:49 PM
SpeedWing Test Cruncher
Loveland, Colorado, United States
Joined Jan 2003
899 Posts
OOPS! Wrong thread...

Moved it here.

-Rodger
marjamar is offline Find More Posts by marjamar
Last edited by marjamar; Jun 09, 2006 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Posted in the wrong thread... Sorry.
Old Jun 09, 2006, 09:31 PM
phillyphly
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Sep 2005
1,223 Posts
Is this the Scrappy you intend to enter in the 20/100 contest?

In that case, I think it needs some cement in the nose

Just kidding... best of luck to 'ya!
e-guru is offline Find More Posts by e-guru
Old Jun 09, 2006, 10:17 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,650 Posts
You go Bill!!
I just maidened mine today 30" span, 2s TP1320PL, special LS , APC 4.75x4.75 and it was a custom cut wing. Well over 100 level and around 120 in a dive and all on 2s
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Jun 09, 2006, 10:32 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
Forgot tell you I received the motor Bob. Looks great and nice to see the old LS all cleaned up and shiny again. Cant wait to hear it spin up for the first time. Thanks a bunch man.
Bill
Old Jun 09, 2006, 10:46 PM
UT
Joined Oct 2004
1,624 Posts
Bildo,
Cool project. I just finished up a wing that I am using to get warmed up for a pylon plane. I used a mildly hot, 6 pole double on it and it moves!! Very fun planes, I just wish I had tried one long ago.. What was I thinking

How are you going to clock you wing for this contest?? Do you have a gun, or are you going to use a Doppler shift program?? I wanted to join, but the rules said no manufacturers..

Here are some shots of my wing.
morphs is offline Find More Posts by morphs
Old Jun 09, 2006, 10:52 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,650 Posts
Happy to do it! I had to polish it up too

You will love this motor in your set up! Hang on it will suprise you !! It did me today. Mine is a custom airfoil just to be fast! But guess what? It handles too Very cool new toy! If they let me enter the contest, I may just do it Mine. After 6 HARD minutes came down cool can't say that for the battery! Now I need to play with props

Please post pics as you go!
Old Jun 11, 2006, 12:12 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
Power system

No building happening yet but thought I'd post a pic of the beast that'll be providing the scoot for my Scrappy. Bob did a good job reviving the old work horse and she looks good as new again. This motor has seen many many hours of hucking and yanking and banking.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 09:38 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
Alright, I've consulted my wing Sensei and decided that glassing is probably going to be unnecessary. The 3 spar setup on the Scrappy along with a few minor reinforcements should suffice.

Question for Bob or anyone else in the know. I typically use Deans micro on the Screamer but I don't think that's gonna cut it this go round. I'm sure they won't melt but they lose a little above 12 amps I believe. What connectors have you had luck with that are slim form factor? Ultras seem a bit bulky for this application.
Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:20 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,650 Posts
I use mini Deans for my battery to esc, and mini Deans for my motor to esc as well. Never had a problem
Old Jun 11, 2006, 10:49 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,650 Posts
Jon,
Nice bird!! You'll be hooked now!!!!!
Old Jun 14, 2006, 03:14 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,650 Posts
bildo?

Well???
Old Jun 14, 2006, 08:30 AM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
Nothing to report yet except I got my bats all soldered up and discovered my PU glue had gone bad. Gotta get by Home Depot to get some glue and should be able to spin up the LS tonight.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 09:21 PM
Chillin till SEFF
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Aug 2003
14,731 Posts
Dayum!!!! This thang turns some r's I tried it with a CC PH-25 tonight but may end up with the CR-25A. Hit me with some PH settings Bob.

I got my PU and everything I need now I believe. I also grabbed some FG joint tape from Wally World that I may try. It is made by Duck, really light weight and is self adhesive on the back side. Man I tried to find Super 90 tonight and nobody had it except Ben Franklin craft store. $22
Last edited by bildo baggins; Jun 14, 2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:23 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,650 Posts
Auto Lipo,
No Brake,
Soft cut off,
Hard start,
Auto throttle cal,

Low timing!!
Normal PVM,
Normal motor, not high turn outrunner!

Watch the static runs though!! She's EXTEMELY High Kv!!! Use no more than a 4.75x4.75 or smaller. Oh yeah!! She makes some rpm's alright!! Wait till you toss it the first time and slam the stick forward Also remember to be kind to your batteries, limit WOT runs to about 2 minutes, then cruise for a couple minutes, then hard after it again! Also remember to do at least 30-45 seconds of cool down laps for you battery's sake be fore you land to allow the chemicals in the battery to stabilize. Otherwise when you land, it will continue to generate heat even though you aren't drawing current. That's why batts swell after shut down, no time allowed for the battery to stabilize.

Enjoy! Let us know how she does!