SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:43 AM
The Doctor
Joined Aug 2014
4 Posts
Help!
Focke-Wulf FW-190A-8 BNF Basic. Help!

Hello,
I just has an incident with my big plane. First time flying with it. Brought it to a field lots of people fly at. It was empty at the time. Winds were fine and it was sunny and clear. I tried to takeoff from the grass but the wheels were getting stuck in the ruts. At the time I wanted to really fly it and my dad next to me wanted to see it fly. So he picks it up, throws it (engines at 100) and it banks left before I could bring the stick to the right and it smashes into the ground. What can I do to repair the tail? Help!The rudder also is stuck to the right.
Thanks for the help!
Oliver Bludau
German_Rc_Plane is offline Find More Posts by German_Rc_Plane
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2014, 12:24 PM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by German_Rc_Plane View Post
Hello,
I just has an incident with my big plane. First time flying with it. Brought it to a field lots of people fly at. It was empty at the time. Winds were fine and it was sunny and clear. I tried to takeoff from the grass but the wheels were getting stuck in the ruts. At the time I wanted to really fly it and my dad next to me wanted to see it fly. So he picks it up, throws it (engines at 100) and it banks left before I could bring the stick to the right and it smashes into the ground. What can I do to repair the tail? Help!The rudder also is stuck to the right.
Thanks for the help!
Oliver Bludau
Did you already know how to fly and have some experience with a trainer-like airplane? If not, then you will have to consider taking a new approach to flying this one by (1) getting a person with experience to help you (2) learning to fly with an airplane suitable to your present skills which is NOT a warplane of any kind.

The breakage you show can be repaired. If you bought the plane from a hobby shop, they will be glad to assist you with that.
gnats82 is online now Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Sep 21, 2014, 01:08 PM
The Doctor
Joined Aug 2014
4 Posts
What material do I use to repair it?
German_Rc_Plane is offline Find More Posts by German_Rc_Plane
Old Sep 21, 2014, 02:29 PM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by German_Rc_Plane View Post
What material do I use to repair it?
Looks like it will fit back together like puzzle pieces. There are several kinds of glue that you would put on the joint and put it back together using tape to hold it that way until the glue sets. I suggest a glue like Aleene's fabric or craft glue or perhaps hot glue. You will need to disconnect the control rods at the rear to make it easier. The tape will pull off the paint under it when it's removed. Again, folks at a hobby shop will be most helpful.

You didn't answer the majority of the response I gave you. It's most important as you go forward to understand where you are skill-wise and not repeat this mishap. There is no substitute for experience with operating these. A sim is nice and will help but only a little.

You will likely have several crashes as you learn. Take a deep breath and not rush yourself to learn, my best advice.
gnats82 is online now Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Sep 21, 2014, 02:41 PM
CH Spring
Canada, ON, Osgoode
Joined Mar 2008
355 Posts
I wouldn't use hot glue. Not on that location. There would not likely be enough working time, and you could end up with a mess.

The break in your picture looks worse than it is.

The beauty of these foamies is that you can turn them into packing beats, then put them back together. They can withstand a tremendous amount of punishment. Ask me how I know.

Taking it to the hobby shop to get advice as previously mentioned is good advice. They will no doubt recommend Gorilla glue and give you a short tutorial on how to go about making the repair.

You should be able to have your plane back together in no time.

Cheers!
Spring is offline Find More Posts by Spring
Old Sep 21, 2014, 02:59 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,733 Posts
I would suggest you browse the already existing thread on this bird rather than continue this 2nd thread .... gets very confusing otherwise.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1892862

P.S. My personal recommendation would be epoxy (5, minute, 12 minute or 20 minute).

(..... others would recommend 'Gorilla' glue, but be ready for expansion if you do).

PPS. As has already been hinted: unless you are quite well experienced, do not even think about flying this bird again, until you are.

PPPS. As you gain more experience, you will come to understand that you need to fight a left hand roll on lift-out, with all these birds.

P.C.
Plane Chaos is offline Find More Posts by Plane Chaos
Old Sep 23, 2014, 08:16 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Nov 2012
353 Posts
I broke mine in the same spot and used 5min epoxy and its rock solid.
Taman is offline Find More Posts by Taman
Old Sep 23, 2014, 08:50 AM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Sep 2013
306 Posts
Like the others said yes it can be repaired... That happened to my first FW and I used foam safe CA glue over night... Rock solid and its still holding up

Like Gnat said... If you don't have any or just a little amount of flying experience this plane is not for you IMO... Its a awesome flying plane if you have the back ground of RC planes. If you get it repaired and don't have any RC plane experience I would hold off on the FW and start with a trainer... Get the basics down of RC flying and get comfortable flying, then work your way to the FW...

Keep in mind I started on the flight sim (30 mins 4-5 days a week for a month) started on a PZ T-28, next was a PZ P-47 then a FW 190.

Enjoy, good luck and have fun!
FoamFlyer32 is online now Find More Posts by FoamFlyer32
Last edited by FoamFlyer32; Sep 23, 2014 at 08:58 AM.