Old Aug 16, 2014, 09:44 AM
cterriers
United States, IN, Danville
Joined Aug 2014
3 Posts
Discussion
New guy building a Brooklyn

Hi guys,
I just joined the group but I have been following a lot of your postings for some time. I decided it was time to jump in and get some expert advice.... I am building two tugs at the present - the Dumas Brooklyn and the Billings Smit Nederland. The
Brooklyn is further along than the Smit - once I got past the two-part hull of the Brooklyn - wish I had gotten in on the fiberglass hull. Anyway, it has worked out OK with the help of bondo......thanks for the advice. I am still cutting parts out for the Smit and hope to finish it sometime in the next century. I started working on a Billings Zwarte Zee which I located in Europe before they were re-released here in the US. I had it shipped here but when I got the tug there were no fittings included. So far I haven't been able to find the "F" fittings for the tug. If anyone knows of these fittings, please let me know. I haven't been successful in getting a reply from Billings. Anyway, I look forward to conversing with some of you who have been there and done that with the Brooklyn..... maybe then it won't be a GUSU.......
cterriers is offline Find More Posts by cterriers
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:15 PM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,445 Posts
Welcome to the forum .

Mark
the goon is offline Find More Posts by the goon
Old Aug 17, 2014, 08:19 AM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,275 Posts
What's a GUSU?
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Aug 17, 2014, 08:29 AM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,819 Posts
Welcome aboard cterriers. I see on google maps that Danville isn't too far from Indy. Check out the Admirals website: http://www.indyadmirals.org and consider making contact with them. Even if you have no interest in belonging to a club you could go and see one of their outings or meetings. A good opportunity to get some face to face advice and just pick up ideas. They have some wickedly talented builders in that club.

Post some photos of your build progress so we can follow along.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Aug 17, 2014, 06:13 PM
cterriers
United States, IN, Danville
Joined Aug 2014
3 Posts
Thanks for welcome

Thanks for the welcome aboard. Your suggestion Prins Willem to get to know some of the guys in the Indy Admirals is a good idea. I did watch the club at one of their meets at a local pond earlier this year but did not make contact. They were having a sailing regatta that day. I probably should find out if any of them are into tugs. You are correct, a couple of the boats were very nicely built.
Just fyi, GUSU is "Glued Up and Screw Up" which I have been known to do on occasion.
I'll have to think about posting pics......I'm still in the early stages of building and I
don't know all the techniques yet.
cterriers is offline Find More Posts by cterriers
Last edited by cterriers; Aug 19, 2014 at 02:46 PM.