SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 26, 2014, 09:03 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceeray View Post
Ground testing. I also "tried" taking videos airborne, but somehow my cellphone camera setting was on high speed, so no sound and its 1.5x too fast... hilarious to watch though.

Sound is good on the ground, but as you can hear the engine sound changes after startup has sounded off, all bassy notes vanish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LENaeVFfno
Honestly I don't know what to say. That is the DW sound, actual recordings. It will not get better than that, I have tried, and it distorts with lower tones, and sounds awful. Not sure what more I can do. Others have used it, and comment how good it sounds, so I don't know.

If you are truly unhappy, I can give a full refund. I don't like having unhappy customers. Maybe it is because of the wood plane, or some other factor, but at this point I don't know what to say.

Andrew
MrRCFlying is online now Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:08 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,645 Posts
Quote:
Ground testing. I also "tried" taking videos airborne, but somehow my cellphone camera setting was on high speed, so no sound and its 1.5x too fast... hilarious to watch though.

Sound is good on the ground, but as you can hear the engine sound changes after startup has sounded off, all bassy notes vanish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LENaeVFfno
I think it sounds pretty good when the motor stabilizes at idle you will get pitch change. Sounds normal to me.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:19 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
Sounded good to me
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Feb 26, 2014, 01:04 PM
Finland
Joined Jul 2004
682 Posts
I will try getting airborne video later when I get my replacement motor. I burned current one up while emptying batteries, weather got pretty bad and ceiling too low.

Andrew, thanks for the offer but I still want to keep this one. I do not want to lose any product which has this good support.
Just put me in the waiting queue for your maybe upcoming larger speakers, I will eagerly test them too. And I am very interested in getting DB 603/DB605 messerschmitt sounds , with whistle! CMP 109 will be next winters project.

And as I stated earlier, I think V engines will sound better than these radials which just growl.

Would it work if I would cut two speakers out of their enclosures and make larger plywood box with bass reflex tube. Then I would install those two speakers into same enclosure and fire them downwards from the wing, also porting that reflex tube downwards too? That way maybe I could get those two speakers working for lower notes and nose speakers would handle higher notes..?

Or is there way to bridge the amp channels to one channel and use that amp for single larger speaker? Just a though..
Ceeray is offline Find More Posts by Ceeray
Old Feb 26, 2014, 04:09 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,934 Posts
Quote:
I will try getting airborne video later when I get my replacement motor. I burned current one up while emptying batteries, weather got pretty bad and ceiling too low.

Andrew, thanks for the offer but I still want to keep this one. I do not want to lose any product which has this good support.
Just put me in the waiting queue for your maybe upcoming larger speakers, I will eagerly test them too. And I am very interested in getting DB 603/DB605 messerschmitt sounds , with whistle! CMP 109 will be next winters project.

And as I stated earlier, I think V engines will sound better than these radials which just growl.

Would it work if I would cut two speakers out of their enclosures and make larger plywood box with bass reflex tube. Then I would install those two speakers into same enclosure and fire them downwards from the wing, also porting that reflex tube downwards too? That way maybe I could get those two speakers working for lower notes and nose speakers would handle higher notes..?

Or is there way to bridge the amp channels to one channel and use that amp for single larger speaker? Just a though..
I have some demo speakers, and amplifiers on the way to test. We will see how it all works out. Previously I could not find speakers nearly as loud, light, small and with less power draw than the ones I am using. My guess is that with a higher amp, and larger speakers it will produce about the same DB, but may give a little lower tone. I will keep you informed.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 26, 2014, 04:10 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,934 Posts
Here is a new customer video from the other day! I got his permission to post it over here for all to see.

FMS 1450mm Red Tail first flight with MrrcSound V4.1 (5 min 54 sec)

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:46 PM
United States, TN, Dandridge
Joined Sep 2013
3 Posts
Thanks for sharing my vid on RC groups Andrew! This unit is bad to the bone. I ended up taking the V3 unit out of my Corsair and bought another 4.1 to go in it.Im running 2 speakers in both planes. One is in front of wing underneath and one just aft of wing underneath. Bought and extra amp and speaker just in case but as you can hear,it doesn't need it. Todd
Air Grinder is offline Find More Posts by Air Grinder
Last edited by Air Grinder; Feb 26, 2014 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Name
Old Feb 27, 2014, 08:00 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Grinder View Post
Thanks for sharing my vid on RC groups Andrew! This unit is bad to the bone. I ended up taking the V3 unit out of my Corsair and bought another 4.1 to go in it.Im running 2 speakers in both planes. One is in front of wing underneath and one just aft of wing underneath. Bought and extra amp and speaker just in case but as you can hear,it doesn't need it. Todd
Hi Todd,
Thanks for stopping by! Love your video demonstration, sounds awesome. Is that your place? Great property to fly!

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 27, 2014, 05:31 PM
Joined Sep 2013
3 Posts
Hi Andrew! Yes that's mine and family's property I'm blessed to be able use for my flying area. Also hosted a few East Tennessee Helifreak funfly's here.Soon as I get a chance going to video the Corsair with new motor running on 5s and new 4.1 sound system. Hope I don't crash it lol! Stay tuned
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:54 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,934 Posts
Size vs. Efficency

Size Vs. Efficiency

I have been asked to look at options for larger speakers, and larger amplifiers . This is something I looked into when I first started doing sound systems. Because of the renewed interest I figured it would be worth a revisit to see if I had made a correct interpretation of my previous findings.

This is purely based on my opinion from my findings and testing. I am sure there are others that would argue that what I am about to say is not correct, but the resulting opinion is based on many hours of testing and research with this sound system.

There is a fine line between volume output, weight, and power draw. Any time any one of those goes up, the other two go up as well. Hitting the perfect balance between all 3 is a tough thing to do. It has always been my goal to supply not only the loudest sound unit possible, but also the smallest, lightest, and most energy efficient. With all these factors considered in, I think most customers will agree that I have hit the mark on all 3.

I procured some speakers and larger amplifiers to play around with, and found that it confirms my first round of tests from a while back. Here are the findings, and if anyone would like me to, I can do a video showing all setups used, and the real db numbers on the meter.

The 2" speaker (Max2 SPL) I chose is very high output for it's size. It has a rating of 90db SPL, and a usable frequency range from 100-16000Hz (this number is from the manufacturer despite the claim from others that it is much less than that). That means with 1watt of power, it will produce 90db of volume at 1 meter. That is the best I have ever found for a 2" speaker, and most 4-6" speakers don't produce that. So instead of throwing a ton of power at the unit, I am able to do less watts, and still produce good output.

I picked up several sets of 3-4" speakers I thought may have had a chance to produce similar or better volume levels, and improve the bass response. I could not find the SPL ratings, but since there are only a couple out there rated at 90db spl, I figure these rated at a more normal 86db spl.

The findings are about what I expected for both the 3.5" and 4" and were about the same. Running directly off the MrRCSound sound cards 10W output, there were a couple of peaks of 1-2 db higher during the startup sequence, and the idle sound was actually down by about 1db through the whole range, over the 2" speaker. This is because, even though the speaker is larger, it is not as efficient. It does add some bass, but to me it sounds like it looses sound definition in exchange for that bass. Almost a muffled lower tone. The sounds are not as crisp and clear as they are being overshadowed by the low tones.

To compensate, more power must be thrown at the speakers, so I used a 25w amplifier. 2.5 x the power of the 10w. Again, both the 3.5" and the 4" speakers performed about the same. Volume increase over the 2" speaker at 10w was about 3-4 db during the startup sound, and only 1 db over the 2" speakers on 10w. So by more than doubling the power, overall volume increased by only 2db on the larger speakers. This is not enough to even hear the difference, other than the fact of some lower tones. Volume wise the 2" still have a perceived louder sound.

On top of that, you have the fact that the larger speakers are much heavier, the amplifier is larger and heavier, and the unit draws more power. The 2" speakers are 4.6oz with the red enclosure., the 3.5" speakers are 10.7oz, more than double the weight, and the 4" speakers weigh in at a hefty 12.9oz.

There is one speaker I know of that is a 4" rated at 90db spl, that would probably work well, but at almost $30 a speaker it is not an option in my book.

So, in conclusion, in my opinion, going with larger, heavier speakers, and a higher draw amplifier does nothing for volume, and adds a little bass response. All at the cost of size, weight, and power draw. So most likely I will not carry these as products.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 03, 2014, 08:46 PM
Joined Sep 2013
3 Posts
FMS 1400mm F4U Corsair with MrRCSound (1 min 18 sec)

Here is what the V3 sounded like in Ol'Blue
Old Mar 04, 2014, 05:44 AM
Learning to fly.......FAST!!
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh East
Joined Mar 2013
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Grinder View Post
http://youtu.be/syY0RDPmOKc
Here is what the V3 sounded like in Ol'Blue
Wow, that sounds really nice!
RCWASP is offline Find More Posts by RCWASP
Old Mar 04, 2014, 06:17 AM
Joined Mar 2013
848 Posts
MotionRC -
Mr RC Sound 4.1 Intro and sounds diplay (11 min 51 sec)
Old Mar 13, 2014, 07:39 AM
Joined Mar 2013
848 Posts
A change at MrRCSound... (1 min 5 sec)
Old Mar 13, 2014, 08:00 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWASP View Post
Look for more info today over on the News/Announcement thread. I will should have a new video as well.

Andrew
Site Sponsor