HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:26 PM
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jul 2013
297 Posts
I have had this happen to me a few times when flying my UM P-40, had a great time. The hawk in question was a small red tail. I actually have talon marks in the wing. I wouldn't go around provoking the birds, but if it happens, it's fun. I certainly did my best to avoid the guy until he got bored and left.

In my case, the UM p-40 was very out matched, but I can imagine a larger plane could severely hurt the bird.
Carnet is offline Find More Posts by Carnet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:26 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,511 Posts
differnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWINB View Post
Don't forget that the videos are from India. Different rules there.
Yep I suspect the hawk would be an honored guest at dinner

seriously though the trick to avoid a problem is to LOOP when the bird gets to close. I understand they just don't know how to deal with a looping plane.

This topic comes up seasonally as the birds are territorial in the mating/brooding time ( spring).
DO NOT PROVOKE. Do attempt to steer your plane away. Diving may be a bad idea as it is a similar behavior to their food. Their food does not loop though so .......
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
Last edited by ozmo01; Jan 29, 2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 09:33 PM
Fenton,MO USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,273 Posts
Also check with your states laws. Some have laws against harassment of wildlife. Its your word against an officer's or agent. If someone complains. Just saying. Happy flying.
BlazerB52 is offline Find More Posts by BlazerB52
Old Feb 05, 2014, 03:46 PM
they aren't that close.. oh
Joined Feb 2013
71 Posts
my planes all seem to scare all the birds from our land, it is great to deter pigeons from the crops! I don't even have to dive at them, I just circle a couple of times and they all get up and fly off!
davidio1000 is offline Find More Posts by davidio1000
Old Feb 09, 2014, 11:17 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jul 2011
175 Posts
At our field we have hawks hanging around all summer, they mostly like to harass the gliders. One was struck and stunned long enough that it fell to the ground and broke a wing. It was brought to a wildlife center where it healed up and was released.

If we didn't fly any time they were around we wouldn't fly except in the winter.
Artski is online now Find More Posts by Artski
Old Feb 10, 2014, 07:34 PM
Did ya'll see that?!?
Elizabethtown, NC
Joined Mar 2009
370 Posts
Never had an issue with hawks or other birds of prey. I did have a run in with a mocking bird while flying a 300 size FP heli in my front yard about 5 years ago. The thing just swooped down from out of nowhere right into the rotor. Feathers flew and the bird and my heli both hit the ground. He just sat there looking a little dazed for a minute or two then took off. Apparently I had gotten too close to a nest in a near by tree, which I didn't know was there until the thing attacked. Mocking birds can be quite aggressive when nesting. That same year, and possibly the same bird, my daughter was attacked by a mocking bird while riding her bike in the yard. Pecked her pretty good in her scalp, which bled like crazy.
Tony A. is offline Find More Posts by Tony A.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 01:06 AM
crash expert
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Apr 2014
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidio1000 View Post
my planes all seem to scare all the birds from our land, it is great to deter pigeons from the crops! I don't even have to dive at them, I just circle a couple of times and they all get up and fly off!
I had a flock of racing pigeons chasing my dart xs the other weekend.
Although I do admit I want to go 1 on 1 with the magpies we have here
felixx is offline Find More Posts by felixx