SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
Help!
12 Volt on 10.8 circuit?

I have Futaba FG FP-T7FG/K FM radio that is used to remote control a moving target.
The radio is on for several hours during the course of the match. I'm not getting a long life of of the "normal' battery pack and as you know they are not "quick-swappable"
My battery pack is 10.8 V DC. Is it possible to run this radio off of an external 12 V DC portable battery without hurting the radio?
This radio has been a great work-horse and has a very good range which is ideal for my club shoot.
Thank you for any info.I did a search and found no info.
Rob.
Rapidrob is offline Find More Posts by Rapidrob
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:53 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
Someone's going to ask, so I will first, what MA is the stock battery? Might just be a low Ma battery and throwing a LiFpo high capacity might just be the ticket.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
2500 mAh
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:01 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
Have you tried cycling it to see if it's still at 2500? I can fly for a month on my radio with a 2600..
Having said that, yes you could hook up 12vdc to the trans, but I'd probably put a diode in line to drop it a volt.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:20 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Sanyo Eneloops.
Do a search.

A 12V Pb (Lead acid) charges to over 14V and would damage the transmitter. You could modify the transmitter but 8 Sanyo Eneloop AAs and a Raduio Shack cell holder is only around $20.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
The problem is the lack of room in the battery compartment. The original battery cells are 1.2 V DC and there are nine of them.
I have batteries at work which are sealed medical grade 12 V DC lead-Acid and use a voltage regulator to drop the output voltage to 10.8 V DC. These batteries are the size of your fist and can produce 2.5 Ah.
I'm not sure what the current draw of the radio transmitter is.
Thanks for the ideas so far..
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:08 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,314 Posts
If the radio uses a 9 cell battery, then there is absolutely no problem with running it directly off of a 12V lead acid battery. A 9 cell Nimh packs nominal voltage is 10.8V, but its full charge voltage in a bit over 13V, very close to the full charge voltage of the lead acid battery. If the radio uses an 8 cell battery, then using a regulator is a good idea.
Not to be a kill joy, but there's more than a good chance that radios on an old frequency and no longer legal for use in the US.
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:16 PM
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
Thank you for the replies. I went with a 12 volt voltage regulator adjusted down to 8.5 volts. The batteries lasted for six hours of "on" time which worked out just right for my shoot.