HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:02 AM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,220 Posts
Discussion
MQX Ladybird Hybrid Nano Pontoon Fan Boat

I've been wanting a micro boat for a while now, today I fried one of the motor ICs on my MQX board installing new motors with L.E.D.s I was sad and was about to chuck the brick out when I thought, WTH I can use it to make a boat! And guess what else ... The yaw gyro still WORKS!!!

Waterproofed the brick with liquid tape, tested the gryo and reversed the ailerons

Got some bath tub video. Hopefully I can get some lake video tomorrow.

MQX Ladybird Hybrid Nano Pontoon Fan Boat (2 min 49 sec)

queadlunnrau is online now Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Last edited by queadlunnrau; Sep 11, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:39 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,481 Posts
i imagine this would also be really good on a hovercraft, the natural gyro would help keep it going where it should. great job!
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:40 AM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
i imagine this would also be really good on a hovercraft, the natural gyro would help keep it going where it should. great job!
Wow I didn't think of that! It has 1 more motor channel available and could rig some rubber on the bottom with a fan pointing inside.
queadlunnrau is online now Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:24 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,525 Posts
Nice. I'ld really like to see it in open water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
I have to disagree. You will get better straight lines, but maneuverability will be drastically cut. Hovercrafts need side ways action to properly get through turns.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:17 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,481 Posts
all the hovercraft ive built liked to spin out when turning, the last one i added a gyro and it seemed better with it, but that was a while ago...
the gyro on mine mainly improved all the drifting it did when going slower, and helped keep straight while accelerating too. i really didnt notice any reduced maneuverability.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk