HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:09 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,312 Posts
Help!
shorten pentium motor wires?

don , i am having a space issue w/ the wicked wemo combo in my j power mini f9f . is it ok to shorten the output wires on the esc (pentium 30) . i wont shorten the motor wires per your instructions.

thanks, chuck.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2012, 04:40 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,279 Posts
Not a problem on the ESC side.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:07 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Not a problem on the ESC side.

Don
thanks.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:18 PM
United States, TN, White House
Joined Oct 2011
126 Posts
Just curious why you should'nt shorten the motor wires.
soopertrucker is offline Find More Posts by soopertrucker
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:58 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,279 Posts
The motor wires are just extensions of the winding wires inside the motor. So if you shorten them them you no longer have nice soldered tinned ends. You will have many strands of insulated/enamel coated wire which you cannot solder to. You would need to then strip the enamel off of each of the three motor wires, but each motor wire is made up of about 10-12 smaller substrands of thinner wire so you would have to strip ~30-36 wires and then retin them for soldering. I have done it once to see if I could do it and it is very easy to break the smaller strands off or not get them stripped off properly so instead of all 12 wires carrying the amp load in one phase, say only 8 carry the load so a phase can burn out.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2012, 01:07 AM
United States, TN, White House
Joined Oct 2011
126 Posts
Gotcha, thanks for the explanation Don.
soopertrucker is offline Find More Posts by soopertrucker
Old Aug 18, 2013, 02:28 AM
India, SK, Gangtok
Joined Feb 2013
105 Posts
Thanks for the heads up

Thanks for the explanation Don.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The motor wires are just extensions of the winding wires inside the motor. So if you shorten them them you no longer have nice soldered tinned ends. You will have many strands of insulated/enamel coated wire which you cannot solder to. You would need to then strip the enamel off of each of the three motor wires, but each motor wire is made up of about 10-12 smaller substrands of thinner wire so you would have to strip ~30-36 wires and then retin them for soldering. I have done it once to see if I could do it and it is very easy to break the smaller strands off or not get them stripped off properly so instead of all 12 wires carrying the amp load in one phase, say only 8 carry the load so a phase can burn out.
losthorizonmba is offline Find More Posts by losthorizonmba