HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2014, 07:07 AM
United Kingdom, Gunnerton
Joined Dec 2010
1,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBo3D View Post
The torque of the prop will make it turn on it's own. Right roll turn left, left roll turn right.
I've heard of P-factor, which can cause yawing at high angles of attach. This could explain it if the plane always yawed in a particular direction (determined by clockwise or anti-clockwise prop). Alas, the direction changes depending on which way it's rolling.

Any other theories as to what might be causing it?
jcansdale is offline Find More Posts by jcansdale
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2014, 04:21 PM
wrecklessly misspeling stuff..
United States, CA, Citrus Heights
Joined Feb 2009
1,024 Posts
My theory is Aileron differential. My CP will do similar things when the CG is to far aft. There are 4 ailerons at different points of the rolling axis that cause lift and drag, like flapperons or spiolerons. Which also create yawing or what Ive heard of as a walking roll that with two servos or more can be trimmed mechanically or programed out with differential.
tuck is offline Find More Posts by tuck
Old Dec 14, 2014, 04:41 PM
AMA#1032179
United States, MN, Fairmont
Joined May 2013
2,557 Posts
So I cant do it with a crack yak?
Somethin' Extra is online now Find More Posts by Somethin' Extra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My story
Old Dec 14, 2014, 04:49 PM
wrecklessly misspeling stuff..
United States, CA, Citrus Heights
Joined Feb 2009
1,024 Posts
maybe, give it a shot. My mom always told me "you can do anything you want .if you put your mind to it".
tuck is offline Find More Posts by tuck
Old Dec 14, 2014, 05:06 PM
RC Keeps Me Sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethin' Extra View Post
So I cant do it with a crack yak?
Normally the lighter the plane the better. Most of the 32-34" class of EPP planes I've flown can do it. Of course some are better than others.
DanBo3D is online now Find More Posts by DanBo3D
Old Dec 14, 2014, 06:32 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuck View Post
My theory is Aileron differential. My CP will do similar things when the CG is to far aft. There are 4 ailerons at different points of the rolling axis that cause lift and drag, like flapperons or spiolerons. Which also create yawing or what Ive heard of as a walking roll that with two servos or more can be trimmed mechanically or programed out with differential.
If you are using the wooden angled arm on top of the servo arm, and your pushrods are set to whichever hold corresponds to 90 to the line of little holes in the wooden servo arm ..... difficult to word this!! ..... then you should have mechanical differential on ailerons helping to eliminate adverse yaw. Thats why those little shallow y-shaped arms are supplied.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:34 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
Sorry guys, the weather has made this video long in the coming!

So, here is a vid of a Puddle Star with full water proofing. It has plasti-dip electronics and the entire aircraft has been misted with 3M and covered with 5 mil lamination film.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Bn6U...ature=youtu.be
Nicely flown Chris!!!!
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:41 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
Sorry guys, the weather has made this video long in the coming!

So, here is a vid of a Puddle Star with full water proofing. It has plasti-dip electronics and the entire aircraft has been misted with 3M and covered with 5 mil lamination film.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Bn6U...ature=youtu.be
I wasn't planning on much RC plane purchasing in the coming year but a puddle star, I think, is going to be an exception to that!

Looks like total stupid amounts of fun!
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM
Joined May 2014
115 Posts
Maiden my CP today

Ordered the plane on Friday, it arrived yesterday and finished the build this afternoon. As expected, it fly's great! AUW = 230 grams with 610 mah 2S Rhino. I did beef up the motor mount area a bit with carbon fiber to prevent the twist that my CY has developed from motor torque. Flew 4 packs thru it. Very similar to my CY, but slower and more stable. I've only learned to do rollers recently and this plane makes it really easy. Everything is so slow that it is easier to keep pace with what the plane is doing. Hovers even easier than the CY also. Knife edge did pull a bit toward the belly even though the CG seems right on (maybe that is typical of this plane?) Not a problem though and very minor. Power seems OK, not real fast but only flying on 2S. I plan to try 3S tomorrow. All in all a great plane!
Paleomanjim is online now Find More Posts by Paleomanjim
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
1,146 Posts
Sweet! Luv the rubber band prop saver technique. CF upfit looks great!
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The MXS-C MINI - IT'S BIG
Old Today, 07:20 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,924 Posts
Nx3 evo - Aircraft Gyro

For those looking to try something a little different Twisted Hobbys is now carrying the NX3 EVO Gyro for Airplanes. There were a hand full of different gyros tested on the 39", 48", Puddle Star and delta wing aircraft. There are a couple things about the NX3 EVO that make it really nice. For starters it comes complete, wiring hardness, mounting tape and a small tuning screw driver. In addition to this, it does not need to be programmed. There are 4 DIP switches and three trim pots. So it is super easy to set up and tune. Gains can be remotely adjusted at the radio via the control channels end points. There are three different flying modes that can be controlled via a 3-way switch on the transmitter, one of which is OFF, so if you want you only need to use it when it's windy, or practicing your belly in hovers, etc.

One of the things that was most impressive with this gyro when comparing to the others is that it did NOT rob any of the control authority away from the pilot. You still get full control throws and response to inputs as before. Also once the gains are dialed in for the aircraft you are flying, the control response if very natural.

There will be a post coming in the next couple days, going over this item in a little more detail, but if you were looking for to help in windy conditions, with learning new stuff like belly in hovers, or just rock solid high alpha harriers on your park jet or delta wing the NX3 EVO would be worth considering.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Today, 08:06 AM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2011
861 Posts
Take a look at this document and see if you notice any similarities.

I believe that the early versions of the NX3 are made using their own designed PCB and with an early version of the Open FlightStab firmware. At least the early version of the NX3's I have appear to, not sure about the EVO version, I have not seen or tested one of those yet.

One of the design goals of Open FlightStab was to have the stabilizer not interfere with pilots control. The more you move the sticks from center, the less the stabilizer tries to help (description in the documentation).

The RCGroups thread for Open FlightStab is located here.

I have modified RX3S V3's or FrSky X4RSB with a Flip 1.5 board on all of my twisted aircraft. I normally fly with the gain set to 0 (no stabilization) but it really helps in the wind.

This is a short video using "Hold" mode to help me hover taken in August 2013 with an RX3S V3 with a very old version of the firmware. It doesn't help with throttle control, as you can see the pilot could use some help.

I have attached a photo of a modified FrSky X4RSB connected directly to a Flip 1.5 board in my new (not flown yet) Flash NG. The box with the 2 line display is a modified programming box to allow for field setup of the stabilizer (the Flip 1.5 does not have any pots so a programming box is required). The documentation describes all of the items that can be programmed with the modified box.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
For those looking to try something a little different Twisted Hobbys is now carrying the NX3 EVO Gyro for Airplanes.
JohnRB is online now Find More Posts by JohnRB
Last edited by JohnRB; Today at 01:25 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Old Today, 08:11 PM
Joined May 2014
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLING CIRCLE View Post
Sweet! Luv the rubber band prop saver technique. CF upfit looks great!
Thanks. I stopped using the o rings as they were breaking constantly, even when using 2 at a time or the extra thick ones. What I like about the rubber bands is that I can wrap the prop numerous times and get it extra tight. This prevents the prop from pulling away from the prop saver when full throttle is applied, but still allows enough give to prevent breaking props from crashes. The brown prop on the CP is one of 3 I picked up months ago on Ebay and I have not managed to break one yet after hundreds of flights and dozens of un-scheduled landings (AKA crashes!). Not sure what they are made from, but super strong stiff props.
I took the CP out this morning and flew 3 packs using 500mah 3S. More thrust on 3S for sure but I switched back to the 2S as I really just don't need that much power for a slow plane like the CP. Flew the CP another 10 packs on 2S and then switched over to the CY just to compare. For me the CP is much more steady and deliberate than the CY. It seems to require less stick movement and the outcome is more predictable. I think I'm gonna really like this plane!
Paleomanjim is online now Find More Posts by Paleomanjim