SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:11 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,875 Posts
Wow - where does time go! Doesn't seem like over a year has passed since I started work on the big one!

Anyway I have been tinkering with some of the more critical components to this build - namely the battery tray mover thingy. I've also been doing some old school CAD work using my trusty mark I program - mybrain. I think I am ready to start actually building something and with any luck a giant Blizzard will hit tonight meaning I will have an uninterrupted weekend to mess about.

The other good thing about taking so long is technology seems to be improving in leaps and bounds. I got one piece of this puzzle in the mail today - see pics below. While it wasn't critical, it will make the first test flights far less daunting allowing me to invest more time and money with less fear of loss.

The other thing I've got is much higher C batts. This hopefully allow more powerful but smaller motors allowing less overall weight to lift A few sets of broken electric retract guts round out the possibilities to tackle the bigger hurdles.

Posts may be slow and sporadic but I may pull this off one of these years soon
Hepdog is offline Find More Posts by Hepdog
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:43 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,875 Posts
Blizzard wasn't much but still cost me a few hours of snow removal

Got some of the initial work done. Drawing out on 2 big sheets of paper was critical and time consuming. The ET will now be 5'6" as that size gives what I hope to be a good weight size compromise. I had wanted to go bigger but the weight really starts to add up

With that set I figure I need the battery to move anywhere from 10 - 14". I built up a CF scissor set today that looks really promising. Super strong and light and can be driven by a single simple retract servo. Best part is it's more weight up front where I'll need it.

Tomorrow is a honey do day - but I make find some time on Monday.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:13 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,875 Posts
Little bit more done. the moving battery tray is taking way longer than expected - such finicky stuff to work with. However it does work - will move a 12 oz batt pack 12" vertically - should suffice. Now I can start on the framework.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:49 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,875 Posts
If I thought building the moving battery tray was tedious I had no idea how cantankerous custom retracts would be

It took me the better part of 4 days to figure out how to get a set of gear that fits around the big hole in the middle needed for the battery to slide through, weighs as little as possible, can take the loads of long spindly gear legs, and has some bump absorption. Attached pics should explain it....

Now that the 2 major complicated pieces are done, I can start to think about framing this up....or maybe I should build the new super lightweight Shuttle first so I know what I'm dealing with....
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:33 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,875 Posts
Finally got to do some actual building - not much but at least it starting to look like something - a Boat?!?

The front bottom is the hardest part to build cuz it holds all the gear and the battery slider. I really should learn how to use some form of fancy computer CAD cuz my ole mark 1 brain is getting a real work out trying to visualize where all the parts have to go - I occasionally forget to allow room for little things like access holes....

Total weight so far is 4 oz which is surprisingly light considering all the ply used for the gear mounts - this section is 2' long.

Got to test out the Eagle tree 3 axis gyro last night at indoor flying - what an awesome little device! I put it in a 3D biplane to see how well it would hold vertical and once I got the gains dialed in it was like the plane was hanging from a string - from the prop! I could make it go up and down using just the throttle - very weird to see. Should be the missing ingredient to vertical Shuttle launches that eluded me 7 years ago (well that and alot more power)
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:42 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,461 Posts
That's great Hepdog, keep up the postings, this seems like it will be a lot of fun when complete.

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pictures from KSC
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:59 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,875 Posts
Only a bit of time this week to get anything done. Did some work on the front lower end and the all important rear. The very first one I did had provisions for a rocket motor but I never tried it due stability issues - this one won't have those problems so the visual effect of fire and smoke has to be met...maybe. Motor pod will be removable and is only for effect - rocket thrust will not be required for flight (although welcome).
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:14 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,875 Posts
Tested the rocket motor tube etc today. Works alright but only gives 2lbs11oz thrust for about 2 seconds. Maybe 3 of these motors would be better?

ESTES D12 7 TEST (1 min 19 sec)
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:15 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,461 Posts
If you are only using a 24mm tube, try a single use aerotech E-15 motor, you can get them plugged if you don't want any ejection, weighs about the same as the D12 but twice the overall thrust. You can get even some F motors in that diameter, F32 which will fly my 37 oz X-15 to about 300 feet.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepdog View Post
Tested the rocket motor tube etc today. Works alright but only gives 2lbs11oz thrust for about 2 seconds. Maybe 3 of these motors would be better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn59Y...ature=youtu.be
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:56 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,875 Posts
Thanks Frank

Unfortunately up here in good ole Canada getting any type of rocket motors or "explosive" device is not easy. Most dealers in the US will not ship to Canada - been there tried that. I've sent out a few emails to see if anyone will....

Even our LHS have a really hard time getting anything "exotic" - pretty much just the standard Estes stuff. I can get Aerotech E's and F's but not plugged and that is getting a little high powered for this application - last thing I need is a 8lb kick in the pants of a delicate balsa stick frame!

If you have any links to anyone that will ship to Canada please post
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:38 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,875 Posts
A little more progress. starting to look like something - a boat?!?!

Found a CDN supplier for plugged Aeortech motors so until I get those progress will be slow - need exact in hand dimensions.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:09 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,461 Posts
I can measure the ones I have, but if they are E motors they will conform to the standard 24mm estes D-12 size casings, F will be larger....I have some so I can measure them for you.

Quote:
A little more progress. starting to look like something - a boat?!?!

Found a CDN supplier for plugged Aeortech motors so until I get those progress will be slow - need exact in hand dimensions.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:24 AM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj View Post
I can measure the ones I have, but if they are E motors they will conform to the standard 24mm estes D-12 size casings, F will be larger....I have some so I can measure them for you.
I got the Aerotech E sized reloadable motors here:

http://www.allrocketengines.ca/RC

Do these just slide into the standard D sized tube? Does the knurled end etc all fit inside a 24mm ID tube?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:58 PM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,875 Posts
Found some more "parts" today. LHS just happened to have some really looong stroke air cylinders! I will mess with these a bit and see if they work better than the electric retract servo to move the battery - massive force at 100psi!

I ran out of channels when I built my B2 and had to make compromises I didn't like. Never thought 9 channels wouldn't be enough but this project needs more as well. Sooo a new radio was in order - pretty good deal and 14 should be enough
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:19 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,461 Posts
If you get the 24mm reload casing, it will fit into a normal 24mm D size tube, the length is the same as a 24mm D motor. If you use a motor hook you can use the standard length, or the estes E size which is a bit longer and use the orange spacer they provide. The knurled or end ring is larger in diameter and can be used as a stop or thrust ring...

The 32mm motors are quite a bit heavier when loaded, 4.5 oz for a G-12 motor and about 1.5 oz for the E 24mm reload. The G will lift a 1.5 pound rocket with a gentle boost, any heavier and it won't give much push.

Frank

Quote:
I got the Aerotech E sized reloadable motors here:

http://www.allrocketengines.ca/RC

Do these just slide into the standard D sized tube? Does the knurled end etc all fit inside a 24mm ID tube?
RCG Plus Member