United States, FL, Stuart
Joined Apr 2013
500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Have you tried calibrating your ESC/throttle? If not, just follow these steps:

1. Remove your prop.
2. Make sure you removed your prop.
3. Power up transmitter and ensure throttle trims are at neutral.
4. Put throttle all the way forward (as per max throttle) and set the transmitter down.
5. Make sure that prop is off.
6. Plug a battery into your aircraft.
7. The ESC will go through the start up but won't finish with the normal three beeps (for 3S batteries). The motor shouldn't start, but if it does you are safe because you removed the prop .
8. Move the throttle all the way aft (throttle off) and the ESC will finish its normal startup sequence.
9. The ESC to throttle calibration is now complete and you should get a nice linear throttle response all the way from off to max.
10. Remove the battery and reinstall the prop ensuring it is facing the right direction.

Let us know how it goes.
This worked great! Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check my other planes.

Also after fixing the calibration, I was able to see what was causing the problem. I set Throttle hold on one of my switches and it defaults to -130 instead of -100. I changed that programming and now it works as expected.

Thanks again!
wilanz is offline Find More Posts by wilanz
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2013, 01:24 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,068 Posts
My pleasure, glad you fixed it so simply.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2013, 12:12 PM
United States, FL, Stuart
Joined Apr 2013
500 Posts
Fun couple of flights at the field til I got bored and started flying inverted figure 8s low and slow. I felt the breeze come up and it was on the down wind part of the figure 8. I gently landed inverted in tall grass. I tried to punch it and roll but not much lift or speed.

Busted prop, elevator separated and a crack where the vertical stab meets the plane. Easy fixes even for me. I usually just give the parts away after a crash but the skipper has quickly become my favorite toy.
wilanz is offline Find More Posts by wilanz
Old Dec 06, 2013, 08:18 PM
Short Circuit Creator
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2004
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilanz View Post
Fun couple of flights at the field til I got bored and started flying inverted figure 8s low and slow. I felt the breeze come up and it was on the down wind part of the figure 8. I gently landed inverted in tall grass. I tried to punch it and roll but not much lift or speed.

Busted prop, elevator separated and a crack where the vertical stab meets the plane. Easy fixes even for me. I usually just give the parts away after a crash but the skipper has quickly become my favorite toy.
That's the great thing about EPO Foam. A new prop, some glue and hinge tape and your back in the air in a few minutes.
Crashem Dave is offline Find More Posts by Crashem Dave
Old Dec 08, 2013, 05:46 PM
db1
don betz
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2004
571 Posts
This thing is great fun in the snow!

db
db1 is offline Find More Posts by db1
Old Dec 08, 2013, 06:08 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,022 Posts
Very Cool. Pun intended
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Im selling my 220mph jet
Old Dec 09, 2013, 12:52 AM
Short Circuit Creator
Joined Nov 2004
679 Posts
Love the pic db.
Old Dec 09, 2013, 07:44 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Snow and lights, nice
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Dec 09, 2013, 08:09 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,286 Posts
I went to my club field yesterday with my 3DHS 57 inch Extra and when I got there I found about an inch of crusty snow in the area and on the runway. Hey what's all this? I thought as it was green grass at my house. It's about 15 miles north from my house and that difference made for snow rather than rain on the last storm.

Lucky for me I also brought my Skipper as the big Extra just sank into the snow and barely budged on full throttle. The Skipper was more fun on the snow I think than the water. It taxi's and lands easier. Good times!. I'm using 1300 and 1800 packs. The 1300's give better HA flight but the 1800's work fine for normal flying.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Dec 09, 2013, 03:09 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
631 Posts
Good news: my Skipper arrived yesterday!!!

Bad news: have to wait until Christmas till I can have it
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Dec 09, 2013, 07:57 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
669 Posts
OK- just pulled the pin and ordered the Skipper Almost got the Joysway Dragonfly, but from what I have read they appear to be the exact same plane- except for color and maybe the esc.( And the Skipper is cheaper) I've been following this since it came out. So what are the must do's with this plane? Its always good to hear from those who are flying it already. I think I might try her off snow if it ever warms up enough around here! Looks like it should be a Happy New Year!!!
fairplane is offline Find More Posts by fairplane
Old Dec 09, 2013, 08:39 PM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
665 Posts
If you're planning to fly from snow/ice I'd consider protecting the bottom of the hull & wing-tip skids. Depending on the snow conditions the foam may get pretty beat up. Here's a few options I've seen folks take...

Hull Reinforcement
  • Foam Armour
  • Tape - duct, packing, vinyl, electrical, etc
  • Paint - assorted
  • Minwax Polycrylic
  • Fiber-glass/epoxy
  • Carbon-fiber cloth/epoxy
Nodd is offline Find More Posts by Nodd
Old Dec 09, 2013, 09:31 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,404 Posts
I fly my Polaris off of the snow all winter just using the clear packing tape and it works fine. It takes about five minutes to do the whole bottom and the tips.
parkcityskier is offline Find More Posts by parkcityskier
Old Dec 09, 2013, 10:31 PM
Short Circuit Creator
Joined Nov 2004
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairplane View Post
OK- just pulled the pin and ordered the Skipper Almost got the Joysway Dragonfly, but from what I have read they appear to be the exact same plane- except for color and maybe the esc.( And the Skipper is cheaper) I've been following this since it came out. So what are the must do's with this plane? Its always good to hear from those who are flying it already. I think I might try her off snow if it ever warms up enough around here! Looks like it should be a Happy New Year!!!
The 2 are identical in all aspects except for the decal color.

What to do?

1)Apply hinge tape across ALL control surface hinges.

2)Put some red tape or some other sort of bright contrasting color on the underside, as it just disappears against a grey or white background.

3)Cut a hole on the underside of the cowl (it's only ABS plastic) for warm air exit.
(Ref to: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1910642)

4)Pull the spinner, remove the prop and either balance it or replace it with something a little less flexible (and maybe a little longer.) Whether you replace the spinner is up to you.(it's glued on with some sort of rubbery type of glue) Opinion as the whether the spinner blocks airflow sufficiently to reduce cooling is divided. I left it off.

5)If you ever plan to fly it off water, consider how you are going to waterproof your Receiver.

6)You might want to think about adding some extra glue (CA or Gorilla Glue or something like that) into the wing and tail join locations when you put it together, rather than relying on the supplied 3M 2 sided tape. Some guys have not had any issues, others have had bits fall off. It's your final decision on that point though.

7) Prepare yourself for a bundle of fun! It's a relatively easy model to fly, but keep the speed up through turns or it will go into a spiral dive.

8) Post your experiences on this forum for us all to share and enjoy.
Old Dec 09, 2013, 10:38 PM
Short Circuit Creator
Joined Nov 2004
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettAltea View Post
Good news: my Skipper arrived yesterday!!!

Bad news: have to wait until Christmas till I can have it
Only 15 days to go mate. Just have your batteries charged and ready to go. You can go grab a fly of it on "the day" while the missus deals with Chrissy dinner!