HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2013, 07:38 AM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
Discussion
tex rc pa34 seneca

I've had my eye on this one since it came out, and finally ordered it when the model went on sale last week. simple build, just three screws to get it together and install the props. only problem was that the elevator push rod was too short. it looks amazing, the pictures on nitro do not do it justice. a little windy here today but hope to maiden it soon.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a383-21812-pa34-arf.html
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:21 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
maiden flight this morning....it's a great little flyer! plenty of power, very stable, fun and easy to fly. i'm using 2s 30c 850mah packs from headsuprc. plenty of flight time, after flying for about five minutes I still had 46% left in the pack according to my meter. neat little model, surprised there isn't more interest as there aren't that many civilian planes out there.

rob
Old Jun 22, 2013, 06:59 PM
"You're gonna hafta kill me"
McKinney TX
Joined Aug 2009
77 Posts
Hey rob737,

I have been looking at that plane for awhile. Was concerned about flying it on a 2S setup. Did you find it has plenty of power?

Hey for $100.00 I'll give it a try.

Thanks for flight review.

Cool Hand Luke
Cool Hand Luke is offline Find More Posts by Cool Hand Luke
Old Jun 22, 2013, 09:30 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
hey luke,

yes, 2s is just fine...plenty of power! take offs were short (pavement), peppy fly bys, etc. not very scale but it will also loop and roll with ease. it's small and very light so the power set up works great. the battery compartment extends up into the cabin so there is plenty of room (lengthwise, anyways) for larger mah packs if you like. good luck, sure you'll like this plane!

rob
Old Jun 23, 2013, 07:33 AM
"You're gonna hafta kill me"
McKinney TX
Joined Aug 2009
77 Posts
Rob,

Ordered the plane yesterday. I hope to have ready to fly by next weekend.

Take care.

Cool Hand Luke
Cool Hand Luke is offline Find More Posts by Cool Hand Luke
Old Jun 23, 2013, 08:40 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
great! i'm trying to get/post some video of mine. there are a few on youtube of the kyosho model, which as far as I can tell is this one that has been reboxed.

good luck.........rob
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:28 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,227 Posts
Love its size, twin motors and wing loading, and I've got heaps of 2S 850s. Just wish another vendor other than NP sold it.

Do you know if this Tex, or the Kyosho version are sold elsewhere here in the states? I found this, but not sure where they're available for purchase other than on a European website.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Jun 27, 2013, 08:48 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
nitroplanes seems to have come a long way in recent years. I've ordered more than a few models from them with out any problems.

here's a quick video taken today. a little too windy but it did great:

tex rc pa34 seneca (1 min 21 sec)
Last edited by rob737; Jun 27, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:53 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2010
785 Posts
Subbed. Bought one a week ago. Waiting to put it together. Need to rob a receiver from another one of my planes.
jdlilfan is offline Find More Posts by jdlilfan
Old Aug 23, 2013, 02:08 PM
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Apr 2012
817 Posts
Subbed, I just ordered one today!
peterswolf is offline Find More Posts by peterswolf
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2013, 06:27 PM
Joined Apr 2012
817 Posts
Mine arrived today, it looks great. Just a few quick questions about electronic placement as the assembly is a piece of cake itself.

Where are you guys putting your battery and where are you putting your receiver? If you have pictures that would help out a lot too. Also when measuring the CG, as the included poster really doesn't show, is it measured from where the wing meets the fuse or from where the wing straightens out?

Thanks for any help!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2013, 07:57 AM
Joined Apr 2012
817 Posts
Maiden flight

This morning I was able to maiden my PA34! It flew perfect, required only a little bit of elevator trim and she was flying fantastic. Floats in for landing. I was in about 3mph winds so nice easy flying. I stuck a Spektrum AR400 in the side of the fuse right above the wing, fit was perfect. I'm using a 2S 1000mah 30C battery, sliding striaght up from the bottom opening, using a small strip of velcro to help hold it in place, balances perfectly like this. With my batteries I flew for just over 4 monitues and the batteries came down at 3.9V (per cell) so certainly could go longer, just didn't want to overdo it on maiden

This plane looks fantastic and adding a little CA to some of the control horns was abotu the only extra work I did. Lining up the screw for the elevator hole was a bit of a pain, but wow what an easy build.

There's not really much to do to this plane as it flies great out of the box. One this I did have laying around though was a an old broken strut from, hobbyking, that I might jsut order another set as the nosegear looks like it would be perfect, it's the right size and the right length, shouldn't add too much weight I don't think. Plane doesn't really need a shock absorbing strut, but with it might look better with it. the nose strut from this set:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Strut_Set.html

Can't believe how little interest there is in this plane, the plastic coated foam is amazing looking, perhaps this one is just a bit too small to get more attention. Perfect size for me to just throw in the back of the car and go!

Edit: one other thing I thought I should mention, be careful on tightening the nut on the prop shaft, you can very easily over tighten it just a little bit which causes the shaft to slip in the motor and rubs at the back, so it no longer "free wheels". I did that during the build, and then just had to tap the shaft back a bit with ahammer to get it to spin freely again.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by peterswolf; Aug 30, 2013 at 10:08 AM. Reason: forgot about the prop install advice
Old Aug 30, 2013, 09:56 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,227 Posts
Nice review there, peterswolf.

I think the reason this model isn't too popular is the price point for this small plane is kinda discouraging. I just checked and it's $164.56 shipped less than 100 miles from NP, and that's with the current 'sale' price. They won't ship it to my PO anyway
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:10 AM
Joined Apr 2012
817 Posts
Ya you are probably right about the price point. I ordered it along with the Airfield T-34 750mm and used the labor day code, came to just around $210 shipped for both planes over to Florida, so at about $105 per plane I was good with that price as I'm specifically looking for planes in and around 800mm lately, big enough to handle some wind ok, yet small enough I can through a few in the car without having to reconfigure all the kids seating hahaha.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:01 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2010
785 Posts
I was also thinking about that T-34 but haven't pulled the trigger yet. My PA-34 is still in the box. Hopefully this fall I can put it together and fly it. Seneca's were always one of my favorite light twins. I got my multi and MEI in one. It was a lot of fun flying that old 1970's bath tub of a plane that dutch rolled back 'n forth.
jdlilfan is offline Find More Posts by jdlilfan