HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2014, 01:31 PM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,024 Posts
Other companies should learn from this! Way to go SIG!
MK is offline Find More Posts by MK
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:53 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,124 Posts
Now I'm really getting concerned after reading about the stab failures! I just ordered the 4 star 64, it actually is supposed to be delievered tomorrow! did I make a mistake in getting this plane? I'm planning to put a Magnum XL91 4stroke on it. I'm good enough at crashing them on my on! yet alone a failure in the construction! I will be contacting Sig about this before I touch anything in the box!
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Jun 18, 2014, 06:01 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,124 Posts
Ok, I was concerned at first when I read some of these posts, until I received the plane. It's just what I expected from Sig! very well built from what I can tell! all wood looks very good and smooth. covering is nicely done, few wrinkles, but that's expected down here in humidity hell!. I'm going to assemble this beautiful model and fly it normal, and if it fails in normal flight, I will contact Sig and I'm sure it will be taken care of.... I'm a decent pilot and don't abuse my planes. I'm very pleased can't wait to start on this one!
I am going to change some of the hardware, but I always do! I don't like CA hinges to start with. and I think I'll change the clevises after seeing one of them failed all in all, I'm happy with the 4* 64
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Jun 18, 2014, 07:59 PM
United States, MA, Burlington
Joined Apr 2012
25 Posts
I have total confidence in the Sig products. I'm not sure what caused the failure that I had, but I plan on building the new plane and flying it. I may look into strengthening the tail section with a tail brace similar to the way the 120 size is done. I do agree that the quality of the plane was very good. I will replace the clevis', they are cheap enough to swap out. I love the way the plane flies and lands. It is a fun plane to fly. Goes where you point it.
Again, I can't say enough about Sig for standing by there products.
Thank you...
lfd47 is offline Find More Posts by lfd47
Old Jun 22, 2014, 09:20 PM
Joined Nov 2013
0 Posts
I was out flying my Fourstar 64 today and this is what happened. It was the 6th flight on this plane and I love it, it flies great. I too was coming out of a loop and all of a sudden it was heading for the ground. I had quickly shut down the throttle and pulled farther back on the elevator with no response. It just flew straight into the ground. My elevator looks much the same as yours. I would think there must be a problem. I`m going to contact Sig tomorrow and talk with them. I sure hope they do something the same for me as I was really starting to love this plane. Here are a few pics.
Fourstar 64 is offline Find More Posts by Fourstar 64
Old Jun 22, 2014, 09:48 PM
Joined Nov 2013
0 Posts
I just thought I would show you guys a few pics of the plane before the incident. I kind of miss it already, It was such a fun plane to fly.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:49 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,582 Posts
Any indication of flutter prior to the stab failure?

Mickydee
mickydee is offline Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Jun 25, 2014, 09:28 PM
Joined Nov 2013
0 Posts
There was flutter for a split second before it went in.
I contacted Sig and spoke with Mike Gretz on Monday and I believe they sent me out a new one the same day. I have to give a big hats off to Mike Gretz and Sig Mfg. for the top notch service and customer relations. I am a firm believer in Sig`s product and would not hesitate to purchase more of their product in the future. Companies sure are few and far between that give you that kind of support and stand behind their product that much. Like I said before, It was a great flyer and can`t wait to get the new one built, with some strengthening of the tail surfaces, and up in the air.
Again, A big thank you to Mike and everybody else at Sig.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 07:57 PM
Measure thrice, mark twice...
United States, AZ, Ajo
Joined Jun 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfd47 View Post
Lost my 4 Star 64 last week. It looks like I had a Horizontal stabilizer failure. I came out of a loop and the next thing I know I saw the horizontal stabilizer flapping up and down. Nosed into the ground hard before I knew it, total loss...
Upon inspection I found 2 cracks, one on the leading edge and one on the trailing edge of the stabilizer. This was about my 10th flight with now hard landings or anything. Very happy I did not lose my motor.
Hmmm, I have a old kit built 4*40 I bought needing recovering. Tailfeathers are sheet balsa.... Maybe Sig oughta rethink the ARF tail.

Edit: Glad to see that Sig as a company is responding to this, will find a permanent fix and hoping that they will continue to prosper. Not enough of the old line companies still around.
ahrma_581 is offline Find More Posts by ahrma_581
Last edited by ahrma_581; Jun 27, 2014 at 08:33 AM. Reason: On reflection, sort of came off a little snide in first post.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 08:05 PM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,536 Posts
Im sure they will. I have an old beater 4*40 also. Been broke in half seven times but the feathers have never faltered.

Dad_Roman is offline Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old Jun 26, 2014, 09:41 PM
Joined Apr 2012
25 Posts
What a shame. That looks like the identical spot to where I had a failure on my 4 Star 64.
I think anyone who is flying this plane should think about adding tail wires or some sort of re-enforcement to the tail section. I received my new plane from Sig but have not had time to assemble. But I am definitely going to strengthen the tail section.
Send Mike Gretz a message with the photos. His email is mikeg@sigmfg.com
I'm sure they will be able to help you.
Maybe Mike can give us some advice on how to strengthen this section.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 09:59 PM
Joined Nov 2013
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfd47 View Post
What a shame. That looks like the identical spot to where I had a failure on my 4 Star 64.
I think anyone who is flying this plane should think about adding tail wires or some sort of re-enforcement to the tail section. I received my new plane from Sig but have not had time to assemble. But I am definitely going to strengthen the tail section.
Send Mike Gretz a message with the photos. His email is mikeg@sigmfg.com
I'm sure they will be able to help you.
Maybe Mike can give us some advice on how to strengthen this section.
Good luck and keep us posted.

No need, I already received my new plane from Mike today. Thanks anyway, It was your posts that gave me the info. Thanks
I`m going to strengthen the tail as well before it goes on.
A huge thanks you to Mike and everyone at Sig again for the great company support and backing of your product.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 11:48 AM
Joined Apr 2012
25 Posts
That's awesome. I am happy to see that Sig stands behind there products. I will be ordering the 70" T-clips soon.
Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM
Joined Jun 2014
0 Posts
I added trail brace wires just like Mike Gretz suggested if I still had concerns. I have flown the new 4 Star 64 three times and no issues yet. With the elevator servo in the tail and the brace wires, the plane balances at about 3 3/4" from the leading edge. I have a Magnum XL91 four stroke in the nose.
rc_flying_chad is offline Find More Posts by rc_flying_chad