Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,887 Posts
Discussion
show us your oldest e-plane you have in hands

guys keep on buying and changing their RC birds nowadays
it's not cheap in the old days,let's say 20 or 30 years ago
it would be nice if .........
you could share with us your oldest motor-powered plane which still doing great job in the air that you have in hands
pls kindly post the picture if available
cheers
Sam
samwei1950 is offline Find More Posts by samwei1950
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:44 AM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,957 Posts
Sorry, I can't send photos because I mislaid the original negatives.

But my two best "oldies" were an Aeroflyte (Australian) Domino which was loosely a Cessna-ish look-a-like from 1989 approx 48 inch span. Power was a 540 brushed with a Tornado 7 X 6 and a straight on-off switch operated with a servo. Battery, either a 6 or 7 cell 1400 Nicad. With it I did well over two hundred flights before it succumbed. Flights were around 8 mins.

Next was one of the original Graupner Junior electric sailplanes. Plastic (Plura I think) fuselage with balsa covered foam wings approx 6 ft span. Similar power system to the Domino but a Speed 600 motor using a Graupner 8 X 4 folder. Later I managed to buy one of the Gordon Tarling speed controllers for it which though rather big and clunky was ultra reliable.

Both models gave huge fun and extremely good value for money. All of this was during 1989 through to the mid nineties.
David Hipperson is online now Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Mar 28, 2013, 05:30 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,887 Posts
speed 540 and 600 brushed motors reminded me the real good old days
still have a lot of speed 400 & 400 geardown units left in my toolbox
I'd even bought a COBALT MOTOR when BL motors were extremely expensive at the time
regards
Sam
Old Mar 28, 2013, 05:48 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,513 Posts
This is the Midwest Hustler delta I built back in the late 60s. Had a K&B 21 DF motor at the time but about 8 yrs ago I converted it to electric. About 36 in. WS. Takes off and lands nose high like a 747. Originally covered with silkspan and dope. Now with Monocote.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:44 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,495 Posts
Built in 79-80 so it's now 34 years old. I built it while in the Navy on the USS Midway then on the Eisenhower (I was cross decked during the Iranian hostage crisis) and the bones picture was on the Ike.

Still has it's original doped Coverite and 3 old style Futaba servos. Gone is the Webra .61 Black Head and in it's place is a Hobby King/ Turnigy brushless/ ESC/ LiPo.

It never was a great flying plane but it's now lighter and my skills are a little better so it's not the handful it was back then. It has won many awards and has flown in Japan, Spain, Guam, California, Florida, and North Carolina.

The Triplane was for me the I have to have it plane, the one everyone tells you to get a trainer first. I built a Guillows with a .020 on it when I was younger and I've currently got three Triplanes in my hanger.
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:56 AM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
2,195 Posts
I built this to serve many purposes.

To have a platform to learn electrics on.
To have a trainer to teach others to fly.
To have a POS with little emotional investment.

I built it in 2011 in 2 days...
It's had 20-30 different servos in it, 4 or 5 different motors, 8-10 different receivers...

It has about 300 flights on it. It needs a good "100 hour" maintenance routine...
(Like THAT's gonna happen!).
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Mar 28, 2013, 08:49 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,513 Posts
Beautiful DR1 Evan. One of my favorites and have built a few of them. The framework looked like you were building a full sized one in a shop, till I saw the coke can under the back end. Or a 40 gallon coke drum.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Last edited by flypaper 2; Mar 28, 2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:14 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,395 Posts
Great Planes Trainer .40

My father built it back in the late 80's early 90's, I recovered it from storage last year stripped it and converted it to electric.

She has seen more flight time in the last 4 months than she has ever.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:14 AM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,330 Posts
Hey now,
Hmmm. Oldest 'leccie still flying. That's a bit tough. If you'd have said sailplane that'd be easy. My Hobie Hawk hands down. I lost my Carl Goldberg Ranger 42 long ago. And I'm not sure it would count since it only just barely flew. But that was in the seventies. A can 540, 8-4 prop and seven 1200 nicads. The oldest I still have is a Lazy Bee Special. Basicaly a Lazy Bee with a Speedy Bee wing. I built it in nintey four or five with a can 540, 3:1 gear box on seven 1400 nicard. It flew but only just. Over the years it's had a few upgrades and now sports a Jeti Phasor 30-3 on 3-3300 lipos. It flys great. Not fast but very tumbley. It's on it's third fuse now because it has enough power that sometimes the rubber bands pull loose. Next to that would be an original Wing-O. I keep that around to train friends.
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:17 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,887 Posts
neat trainer,dedStik
regards
Sam
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:26 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Beautiful DR1 Evan. One of my favorites and have built a few of them. The framework looked like you were building a full sized one in a shop, till I saw the coke can under the back end. Or a 40 gallon coke drum.

Gord.
+1
regards
Sam
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:10 PM
Lawrence, Kansas
Joined Dec 2001
588 Posts
My oldest is my Goldberg Electra e-powered sailplane, but it is kind of like George Washington's hatchet, it is on the 3rd fuselage and second wing. Originally built around 1989 or '90. Oldest model with more or less original structure is a Great Planes PT-Electric, built probably a year later. Will still rise off grass with a brushed cobalt motor and 2S Lipo. Decent trainer but even with the ailerons I added, not very aerobatic (and yes, Virginia, you CAN steer a plane with a fixed nose wheel on the ground on rudder alone!) My Goldberg E-Cub may be even older, bought it from a club mate as he was battling a terminal illness, so not sure when it was built, most likely late '80's (I bought it in early '90's). Still has the geared, brushed cobalt motor he installed. Will take off from water on floats, and on 7 round cells or 2S lipo, probably has a higher power:weight ratio that a full-scale Cub. I probably have some photos of them around somewhere, will have to look later tonight.

For some reason, I still have the parts of the Cox foamy model (Sundancer or something like that) that I tried to start with, it is even older, but I don't count it because it didn't fly worth crap back then, and I doubt if it flies any better today.

- - Dave
DaveA is offline Find More Posts by DaveA